Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas Second Amendment Legislation

Texas Second Amendment Legislation

In this political season, I just received a text highlighting that Governor Abbott previously signed seven pieces of legislation into law to protect Second Amendment Rights in Texas. In looking at the article sent, it was dated June of 2021. So, an old article. I searched around PF some and did not find any reference to Texas's 2nd Amendment legislation being discussed. I found a couple of the passed bills interesting, such as Texas's attempt to circumvent federal law regarding silencer ownership. Good luck with that. It makes me wonder whether the silencer bill or the sanctuary state bill have been tested in any way in federal court.

Senate Bill 19 prohibits any governmental entity from contracting with any business that discriminates against firearm and ammunition businesses or organizations.

Senate Bill 20 allows guests to store firearms in their hotel rooms.

Senate Bill 550 removes shoulder or belt holster requirements, allowing Texans to carry firearms in whatever kind of holster they choose.

House Bill 957 repeals the criminal offense of possessing, manufacturing, or repairing a silencer. It also ensures that any firearm suppressor manufactured in Texas, and that remains in Texas, will not be subject to federal law or regulation.

House Bill 1500 prevents any government entity from prohibiting the sale or transportation of firearms or ammunition during a declared disaster or emergency.

House Bill 1927 authorizes Constitutional Carry in Texas.

House Bill 2622 makes Texas a Second Amendment Sanctuary State by protecting Texans from new federal gun control regulations.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Site Supporter
    Just asked my wife if she’d move to Texas.

I want machine guns man. It’s what we all want.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    In this political season, I just received a text highlighting that Governor Abbott previously signed seven pieces of legislation into law to protect Second Amendment Rights in Texas. In looking at the article sent, it was dated June of 2021. So, an old article. I searched around PF some and did not find any reference to Texas's 2nd Amendment legislation being discussed. I found a couple of the passed bills interesting, such as Texas's attempt to circumvent federal law regarding silencer ownership. Good luck with that. It makes me wonder whether the silencer bill or the sanctuary state bill have been tested in any way in federal court.

Senate Bill 19 prohibits any governmental entity from contracting with any business that discriminates against firearm and ammunition businesses or organizations.

Senate Bill 550 removes shoulder or belt holster requirements, allowing Texans to carry firearms in whatever kind of holster they choose.

House Bill 957 repeals the criminal offense of possessing, manufacturing, or repairing a silencer. It also ensures that any firearm suppressor manufactured in Texas, and that remains in Texas, will not be subject to federal law or regulation.

House Bill 1500 prevents any government entity from prohibiting the sale or transportation of firearms or ammunition during a declared disaster or emergency.

House Bill 2622 makes Texas a Second Amendment Sanctuary State by protecting Texans from new federal gun control regulations.
    I just wish TX was as gun and shooter friendly as was NH…
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

So when are y'all going to secede?

You made a big mistake when you joined the union in 1845. You could have had your own country. Then you had to unjoin in 1861. Then you had to rejoin in 1870.

Man, that's a real rollercoaster ride.

I laugh. Relatives go back to 1871 in Limestone Co. TX. Just poking some fun here.
    Last edited by Borderland; 02-26-2024 at 08:23 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

House Bill 957 repeals the criminal offense of possessing, manufacturing, or repairing a silencer. It also ensures that any firearm suppressor manufactured in Texas, and that remains in Texas, will not be subject to federal law or regulation. . .

. . . House Bill 2622 makes Texas a Second Amendment Sanctuary State by protecting Texans from new federal gun control regulations.
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/articlevi

https://www.atf.gov/file/83696/download

The feds are going to do what they do or don't do regardless.

The flashpoint might be the border, not firearms restrictions.

https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/texa...-from-invasion
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter

The Texas suppressor bill mirrors similar bills previously passed in Montana and Kansas.

The Montana and Kansas statutes have been fully litigated up through the U.S.Supreme court. TLDR - the NFA stands until Congress or the USSC overturns it.

Despite this, some idiot in Kansas, decided to make several hundred suppressors and sell them relying on the Kansas statute. Said idiot, and some of his idiot customers who declined offers to surrender, said, suppressors, are now guest of the federal bureau of prisons.

The so-called Texas suppressor law is basically disingenuous feel good b******t with zero substance.

I’m all for removing suppressors from the NFA but this is an attempt by politicians to pander to people who don’t know any better.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The Texas suppressor bill mirrors similar bills previously passed in Montana and Kansas.

The Montana and Kansas statutes have been fully litigated up through the U.S.Supreme court. TLDR - the NFA stands until Congress or the USSC overturns it.

Despite this, some idiot in Kansas, decided to make several hundred suppressors and sell them relying on the Kansas statute. Said idiot, and some of his idiot customers who declined offers to surrender, said, suppressors, are now guest of the federal bureau of prisons.

The so-called Texas suppressor law is basically disingenuous feel good b******t with zero substance.

I’m all for removing suppressors from the NFA but this is an attempt by politicians to pander to people who don’t know any better.
    Oh agreed - it’s in the same gray area marijuana is. States legalize what they want but it’s what will be prosecuted by the ATF, etc. or DEA.

However, the federal government and legal proceedings can be influenced by states so I view it as progress. I wouldn’t and I wouldn’t recommend buying a silencer without a Form 4, but I’m happy to see something states can use as legal standing to fight with ATF.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Site Supporter
    That the marijuana discrepancy has not been resolved shows the height of the idiocy of our governing class. The other day, I drove home from the USPSA match. Because of an errand I took a different route and saw a nice new cannabis dispensary that just opened. I recall my LGS telling me that they turn away sales when in the past, the potential customer had a medical marijuana card (before the laws changed here). The county is all about promoting the marijuana industry. Read that Scranton Joe is against pushing for a sensible change in the Federal rules - but it would be an electoral plus for him. Probably saw that movie way back and still scared. Maybe Cornpop used?
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    That the marijuana discrepancy has not been resolved shows the height of the idiocy of our governing class. The other day, I drove home from the USPSA match. Because of an errand I took a different route and saw a nice new cannabis dispensary that just opened. I recall my LGS telling me that they turn away sales when in the past, the potential customer had a medical marijuana card (before the laws changed here). The county is all about promoting the marijuana industry. Read that Scranton Joe is against pushing for a sensible change in the Federal rules - but it would be an electoral plus for him. Probably saw that movie way back and still scared. Maybe Cornpop used?
    I bet you could buy more votes getting MJ off Schedule I than bailing out student loans.

Job applicants, gun buyers, MSM, financial institutions...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List