Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: School me on the Schofield

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I can’t believe they went that far and didn’t use straw-blued slot head fasteners. Or something brass.
    Still, it is probably quite fun to shoot.
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 03-26-2024 at 02:07 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

See, this and this is what happened when we stopped putting people in the stocks and pillories at midday.

Vash the Stampede approves:

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I sold mine off when I had to quit CAS
    So this is probably a question for CAS type shooters but as I casually look at used Schofields I'm noticing some finish wear on the rear of the cylinder with some.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1042840043

Is this just a function of the top latch and common to see or something else? Like an indication of end shake? Something expected to see or some sort of red flag?

They naturally have a bit of end shake that I attribute to the design, but none of mine had marks like that on the rear face of the cylinder. Not sure of the cause.

Although I am sure I had near 1K rounds through each, I shot mine exclusively black powder so they never saw any high pressures.

It is not a gun designed for high pressure smokeless rounds and if somebody hot rodded the .45LC rounds that might explain it, but I am not sure.

Also the rarer S&W versions are not the same in every design detail as the Uberti's which mine were. S&W made some changes that were not true to the original design but I am not clear on what they all were.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Site Supporter
    jh9,

My S&W 2000 Schofield shows that exact wear (scaring) on the rear of the cylinder. All it has ever fired since it came into my possession were black powder (or substitutes like the old Black M-Z) 45 Schofield loads. No souped up smokeless loads.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    jh9,

My S&W 2000 Schofield shows that exact wear (scaring) on the rear of the cylinder. All it has ever fired since it came into my possession were black powder (or substitutes like the old Black M-Z) 45 Schofield loads. No souped up smokeless loads.

Dave
    It looks like the S&W 2000 Schofield has two little feet on the "barrel latch block"(?) that the Ubertis don't have.

Can you tell if the metal deformed in any way or is it just cosmetic / finish rubbing off?

Site Supporter
    jh9,

That's a good question. My Schofield is locked up in the safe, which is in the shop. I'll try to get out there today and take a look, then get back to you.

Dave

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Can you tell if the metal deformed in any way or is it just cosmetic / finish rubbing off?
    No deformation that I can see. Running my finger around the rear edge of the cylinder doesn't detect anything. And the little "ears" that are causing this don't seem worn or bent. Fooling with the Schofield for a bit it looks to me like the markings on the rear of the cylinder are from the end shake mentioned above. YMMV!

Dave

I was digging around for some Model 3 information this morning and ran across an interesting observation regarding the grip shape. Where the Colt SAA is referred to as a plow handle shape, the Model 3 and it’s variants could be considered to be a saw handle shape.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List