Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pistol Transitions: Ginger Ale and Champagne

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    They are popular for sure.

That said, with my xl size hands, I just stuck with the G19. I have a rule/question. I ask what is the smallest gun you are willing to get into a gunfight with against at least 2 people (who are also armed). The 19 is as small as I can go and shoot reasonably well. The P365 is a good gun, but it still requires a holster for me, so I figure I may as well just carry the bigger, easier to shoot (for me) G19. Most the time though, that really translates into a full size frame IWB. A g17/22. But I do understand why the P365s are so popular.
    I am talking about a 365 in the form of a Macro lower and XL upper. I shoot it as well or better than a 19. As a gun guy, if you haven't tried a Macro, you should, as it shoots like a mid size while being thin like a slimline. The grip is also more comfortable for my hands than a 19.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am talking about a 365 in the form of a Macro lower and XL upper. I shoot it as well or better than a 19. As a gun guy, if you haven't tried a Macro, you should, as it shoots like a mid size while being thin like a slimline. The grip is also more comfortable for my hands than a 19.

Dangit GJM!

You're like Dr. Feelgood!

I think like or dislike of the XMacro depends on hand size and a few other things. They shoot fine and I get the appeal, but I much prefer the G19.

I find it too narrow for my hand, the butt too long, and I dislike how complex the P365 is to detail strip. Still if you want a skinny light gun that holds 17 rounds I understand the appeal.

In this instance it wouldn't have mattered if it was a XMacro, a CZ P10C, or a Staccato P. It was the fact that it was something different than what he was used to shooting.

While the Macro trigger is quite different than his 229, it does have the advantage of pointing the same. How many sessions do you think it would require to take your expertise with shooting different pistols, and imprint that on him?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    While the Macro trigger is quite different than his 229, it does have the advantage of pointing the same. How many sessions do you think it would require to take your expertise with shooting different pistols, and imprint that on him?
    I think I can get him to the shoot the Macro quite well in a few weeks if he is willing to put in the work.

Shooting twice a week for a couple hours (no more than that) would probably get him pretty close.

The mechanics of shooting are there as is the ability to use sights. He just needs to learn the trigger and the feel of a different gun.

The biggest letdown for him was watching lots of review videos on YouTube and and elsewhere online and then going to the range the gun didn't shoot itself and him realizing he shot the P229 better. He isn't disappointed with the purchase and I'm sure he will shoot it and carry it. I think he was just irked I could shoot it better than he could. I knew what to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    I think like or dislike of the XMacro depends on hand size and a few other things. They shoot fine and I get the appeal, but I much prefer the G19.

I find it too narrow for my hand, the butt too long, and I dislike how complex the P365 is to detail strip. Still if you want a skinny light gun that holds 17 rounds I understand the appeal.
    A Razorback grip module can sometimes help with the grip feel.

OEM G19 mags are tremendously more durable than P365 mags just by the nature of what's being done. I haven't had any mag failures but I've taken a few out of service. I just find it hard to trust them. Otherwise the performance advantage of the G19 slides into the category of things that don't matter for me.

Switching platforms can sometimes point out areas where you've gone on autopilot and shouldn't and that has value. We talk a lot about unconscious competence here and that's good but I think certain things should always be consciously done, and there's no better way to remind yourself than spending some time on a different platform.

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    A Razorback grip module can sometimes help with the grip feel.

OEM G19 mags are tremendously more durable than P365 mags just by the nature of what's being done. I haven't had any mag failures but I've taken a few out of service. I just find it hard to trust them. Otherwise the performance advantage of the G19 slides into the category of things that don't matter for me.

Switching platforms can sometimes point out areas where you've gone on autopilot and shouldn't and that has value. We talk a lot about unconscious competence here and that's good but I think certain things should always be consciously done, and there's no better way to remind yourself than spending some time on a different platform.
    I definitely felt that way about the 10 and 12 rounds mags. The 17 round Macro mags, which I load one less than their stated capacity, have been working great. I even have four set up with Springer plus three extensions and extra power springs. The Macro mags seem to be based on 226 tubes, so it isn't surprising they work well.

While nothing beats a Glock mag for cost, availability and durability, the Macro mag does have some good points. It is more tapered at the top which eases insertion, and overall it is thinner. I find a mag often prints as much as a pistol and thinner is better when carried in the belt or in your pocket.

Name:  IMG_7046.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  61.4 KB

The Springer extensions work well for me.

Name:  IMG_7047.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  62.8 KB

Here is a 226 mag next to a Macro mag.

Name:  IMG_7048.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  54.5 KB

I think your original suggestion to stick with the 229 was the wisest choice. I've seen someone like your friend switch to the 365 and struggle because they didn't have enough practice with another platform. Your friend isn't committed to practicing, and all those years spent with the 229 could have been hugely beneficial to them.

User Tag List