Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Ethan Crumbley’s Mother Found Guilty of Involuntary Manslaughter

People who I know:

Family A is a great family. They had their eldest son involuntarily held for evaluation after a suicide threat. Dad said to me, "We can't lose him." Kid turned out OK, currently serving in military, no ill effects from their parental concern.

Family B had issues. Son made online threats about a school shooting/suicide. I became aware and as a mandatory reporter, I called LE in their area. Kid got a psych eval, and a bunch of other shit. Mom confronted me for reporting, and when I asked her how she would have felt if he had shot up the school and then himself, she said, "He would never do that, He didn't mean that." AFAIK the kid is OK as an adult, and both their kids stay as far from the parents as possible.

My friend loves his son enough to do the hard thing rather than risk losing him. I have no sympathy for the Crumbleys or anyone else who ignores warnings, threats, or pleas for help.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    So let’s see how many inner city “parents” are held to the same standard as this idiot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Several have been charged in the Atlanta area for leaving loaded guns easily accessible to children which resulted in severe injury or death.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

A guy who lived about 200 yards down the road from me had a Glock something in his dresser drawer a few years ago, and his two year old son shot himself in the head with it. He lives in the gray bar hotel now.

If you've followed the case in detail, it should be clear there's more to this than just a tragic accident. The parents were clearly enablers in this situation. Yes, members of the school administration should be held accountable. But, whether or not that happens doesn't absolve the parents of their actions, and I do mean actions not apathetic inaction. Viewing this with a tit for tat mindset is grossly juvenile. Yes, there are dangerous precedents to consider. But, the verdict is appropriate.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Time to come clean….
    Why on Earth would these parents buy a very young teenager a pistol???? I would have found them guilty of gross recklessness for doing that by itself. If my son were among the victims, the parents would have been in extreme danger.

The guy down the road was simply doing what he thought other people did, but he was still an idiot. He was sentenced to 11 1/2 months to 2 years. He was also ordered to take a gun safety class, but I would think his sentence would make him a prohibited person.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I have been reading about parents being criminally charged when their kids were seriously injured or died after exposure to Fentanyl or other drugs which were left out by the parents for quite some time. I have not seen anyone shocked by this.
    Charged with murder, manslaughter or some variant of child neglect?

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Several have been charged in the Atlanta area for leaving loaded guns easily accessible to children which resulted in severe injury or death.
    Charged and convicted of safe storage law violations and not murder or manslaughter.

Please dont misunderstand. Crumbley is a POS who I believe didnt give 2 shits about her kid and didn’t give 2 shits about the impact her kid would have on society. She is 100% guilty of child neglect, child abuse and child endangerment. However, this sets a rather ambiguous precedent. Why is she guilty of manslaughter while a hood rats mom is not? Why is the school counselor not responsible when she could have had the kid forcibly removed by the cops after mom and dad blew the issue off? What about all the professional head shrinkers who don’t do anything?

I’m all for responsibility, just not sure this is the way to do it. They could have gone after her for all the things she actually did (endangerment, neglect, abuse, safe storage) and gotten her locked up for a long time. Instead they are holding her responsible for something she did not actually do.

For the record. I think the whole bartender thing is retarded as well.

Site Supporter

Charged and convicted of safe storage law violations and not murder or manslaughter.

Please dont misunderstand. Crumbley is a POS who I believe didnt give 2 shits about her kid and didn’t give 2 shits about the impact her kid would have on society. She is 100% guilty of child neglect, child abuse and child endangerment. However, this sets a rather ambiguous precedent. Why is she guilty of manslaughter while a hood rats mom is not? Why is the school counselor not responsible when she could have had the kid forcibly removed by the cops after mom and dad blew the issue off? What about all the professional head shrinkers who don’t do anything?

I’m all for responsibility, just not sure this is the way to do it. They could have gone after her for all the things she actually did (endangerment, neglect, abuse, safe storage) and gotten her locked up for a long time. Instead they are holding her responsible for something she did not actually do.

I don’t recall all of the details of all of the articles I saw, but from what I recall, it was typically a charge of neglect, combined with a charge based on whatever happened to the child, which, in some cases could’ve been a homicide charge.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I understand. At the end of the day I think millions of idiots that have bought guns and treat them casually need to realize the deadly implications so I hope this precedent leads to more similar prosecutions.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

The Dram Law cases I'm aware of - not many to be sure - all involved bartenders who continued to serve folks who Blind Melon Jefferson would have known were drunk; in other words stumbling, fall down drunk. You don't see any .08 drinkers in these cases.

I sincerely hope that no one you know is the victim of a drunk/drugged driver.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    when I asked her how she would have felt if he had shot up the school and then himself, she said, "He would never do that, He didn't mean that."
    Yeah, on the one hand I don't have a problem with this outcome. You have a right to own a gun. You can generally be a shithead. If you chose to do both at the same time, sometimes there are consequences.

But the above quote is why I don't think this is going to have any real impact on anything. You could probably take every kid that's shot up a school at T-minus 15 minutes before the incident and every single one of their parents would have said the same thing. "He would never do that." The people that need to take this as a wakeup call won't.

All this means is that when someone interrupts their teenager's 10-hour-a-day youtube habit of mainlining agitprop to give them a Happy Birthday 9mm and they decide to do some mass murder the next day we'll have 2 people going to prison instead of 1. The average shithead's denial is stronger than their self-preservation.

User Tag List