Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First pistol RDS. What am I doing wrong

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Have you seen any downward shift in POI? As someone mentioned in a previous post, the 407K has 1 MOA adjustments so 10 clicks at 15y should have brought you down only 1.5”. Try giving it another 10-15 clicks down. If you don’t notice another 1.5”-2” downward shift from that, then something is wrong. Double check that the optic is mounted properly with the screws torqued to spec so the optic itself isn’t moving. If the optic is mounted properly, it might be a mechanical issue and reaching out to Holosun should get you squared away.
    First thing I did was check that its mounted tight. I dont know what it was torqued too, I wasnt the one who installed it but it is consistent. The same result I got last week were identical to one before so it is solid. Im going to try what you said and do another 10 clicks. Probably increments of 5.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I zero at 25. I know someone that zeros at 12.5 yards, which is easier than 25, and says it is within .5 inch at 25 yards. There is offset with a red dot on a pistol, but it is nowhere like an AR.

If you do determine the optic is messed up, and replace it, realize the K is a slimline sized optic, with a smaller display. An optic with a larger display will be easier to shoot.
    A great use for a Wheeler laser sighter, is you can move windage and elevation adjustments and see if they track properly reference the laser.
    the K doesnt seem hard to shoot. I dont notice the box. It doesnt seem to be obstructive but my experience is basically zero with pistol RDS.

Dont have a bore sighter and if I cant zero it to where I want it this weekend then Ill probably buy one

A great use for a Wheeler laser sighter, is you can move windage and elevation adjustments and see if they track properly reference the laser.
    Yup, that's why I have one.

My other question is, seeing the longer distance group - where is your visual attention? Your focus? Are you looking at the dot like a front sight? Or are you looking at the target, whichever circle, and letting the dot appear in your eye/target line?

As others mentioned here, 1 moa click is one inch at 100 yards (assuming the owners manual states it is one click per MOA). That would be 4 clicks per inch at 25 yards. So to move one inch at 10 yards would be 10 clicks per inch. If that sight is not "clicky" and is just mush when you turn it, you have to kind of guess (like on the sig Romeo Zero aka Hot Garbage).

I personally like to "bench rest" the pistol on something when dialing it in, just to take any of my movement out of the equation some. (Others argue that is lazy, I say it saves time.)
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Yup, that's why I have one.

My other question is, seeing the longer distance group - where is your visual attention? Your focus? Are you looking at the dot like a front sight? Or are you looking at the target, whichever circle, and letting the dot appear in your eye/target line?
    At the dot. I place the dot over the target and fire 5 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    As others mentioned here, 1 moa click is one inch at 100 yards (assuming the owners manual states it is one click per MOA). That would be 4 clicks per inch at 25 yards. So to move one inch at 10 yards would be 10 clicks per inch. If that sight is not "clicky" and is just mush when you turn it, you have to kind of guess (like on the sig Romeo Zero aka Hot Garbage).

I personally like to "bench rest" the pistol on something when dialing it in, just to take any of my movement out of the equation some. (Others argue that is lazy, I say it saves time.)
    Unfortunately the range with the bench rest is down for a month, maintenance. Otherwise I would have been there.

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    First thing I did was check that its mounted tight. I dont know what it was torqued too, I wasnt the one who installed it but it is consistent. The same result I got last week were identical to one before so it is solid. Im going to try what you said and do another 10 clicks. Probably increments of 5.
    Let us know how it goes with additional elevation clicks. From your photos, it looks like another 10ish clicks should bring the center of your group to the center of the orange dot target. Are you able to brace the gun or your wrists on anything stable at your range so you aren’t shooting freestyle? I prefer to zero with the gun resting on something for additional stability to take as much human error out of the process as possible. Try to mimic your freestyle head and arm position as closely as you can to avoid any parallax issues.

You mentioned this is your first handgun red dot experience. Also make sure you’re focusing on the target and not the red dot in the window. It’s the opposite of how iron sights are traditionally taught. Your target should be crisp and in focus while you look through the window/dot and not at the window/dot.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

At the dot. I place the dot over the target and fire 5 rounds.
    I'd offer that may be at least part of the issue. Dim the dot to where you can still see it, visually focus on what you want to hit, present/bring the dot into your eye/target while keeping your visual attention on the target, etc.

That vertical dispersion made me think you were focusing on the dot.

Fwiw, late last week, I got in a range session with a couple of pistols. Needed to zero one with carry ammo. Set the holosun reticle to an open circle, dimmed it, ran the target out, looked at the bull through the open circle. Aside from a couple of higher right flyers, it was grouping right, low.

Name:  IMG_5745.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  64.4 KB
    Those last three are the result of looking at that X with the circle around it.

Try keeping the mounting screws super loose and see if the elevation adjustment is still bound up. That was an issue with one of my Holosun and no it was never over torqued; was just crazy sensitive.

the K doesnt seem hard to shoot. I dont notice the box. It doesnt seem to be obstructive but my experience is basically zero with pistol RDS.

Dont have a bore sighter and if I cant zero it to where I want it this weekend then Ill probably buy one
    A few respectful suggestions and a personal observation on my part:
    1)Pick one load for your initial zero. That takes a variable out of the mix. I've observed in my zeroing that different weights shoot to different vertical points, e.g., a "soft"115 hits slightly different than a +P135.
    2)My SOP is to start with a B8. After installing and waiting 24 hours or so for the thread locker to set, I shoot 3 rounds at 5 yards to see if there is anything way off. Usually because of off set, if I hold just above the X ring the hits will probably be at or near the bottom of the ring. If I'm pressing the trigger right, a ragged hole. I then back up to 10 and shoot 3. 10 yards is usually where I'll see some indication to adjust. FWIW, on an indoor range I turn the dot intensity down so it's almost transparent-helps me.
    3)Repeat at 15, verify at 25. I need to see all hits in the black. Sometimes I know it's me as I try to read the dot movement. Again, FWIW, I've observed on an indoor range that I occasionally will lift my head in the artificial light-I think I'm trying to see the target better. My hits are high at distance then.
    4)There is a school of thought that says a 12.5 yard zero should be pretty on back to 25. I start closer because on a couple of occasions something is wonky with the sight itself and I don't want to frustrate myself because of a mechanical/electronic issue.
    5)Last comment for now: the Glock trigger/grip is relatively unique. You may want to dry fire a few presses to see if there is something going on without the blast and recoil.
    Good luck

Looks like the problem was just not enough elevation adjustment. Cranking it down 10 clicks seemed to work. Shooting a little low at 15Y, dead on at 20 and 25. Now the problem at 25y is consistency. I can either draw a smiley face in a 2inch circle or shoot all around it!!! And I need to buy more SD ammo to test because I got different results than last time.

User Tag List