Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Better home defense than Glock 19 (don't need CCW) option for low skill user?

Also, if memory serves, having their pistols out for quick action is how two of the FBI agents lost their main service weapons during the 1986 Miami shootout.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Also, if memory serves, having their pistols out for quick action is how two of the FBI agents lost their main service weapons during the 1986 Miami shootout.
    Precisely correct. Revolvers were unholstered and "secured" under their thighs right before they got into an unplanned impact. Both revolvers went flying...

Site Supporter
    Yes, “staging” handguns under thighs/between seats/under newspapers on tables/etc. is a terrible idea. The violent event that leads you to want to prep your pistol for quick access could easily also involve significant impacts to your vehicle, to furniture, and to you.

Those who have been in rollover crashes know that what isn’t strapped to you is not where you left it, to put it mildly. The best case scenario is that you lost your gun (and that’s not good). The worst case is that it bounced around the inside of the vehicle, injuring occupants and potentially firing.

Don’t be the person who is so focused on quick access that he loses all access when the balloon goes up.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    . . .
    I'd echo, again, all of the advice on getting training first, before you even start to think about equipment upgrades. Not to be a giant jerk (but I did grow up in NY) if your only shooting experience resulted in you missing a decent size target at VERY close range with 4/5 rounds, you shouldn't be carrying that firearm.

I'm not saying you shouldn't carry a gun, I'm just saying you should get training before you start toting that thing around with you.

Best of luck!
    Not at all, psalms144.1, I welcome the direct feedback. So much to learn! The gun won't go with me anywhere until I've completed enough training to feel confident using it to hit 6" targets at 7 yards+. I've also shelved gun upgrades other than exchanging my gen 3 for a gen 5 MOS since I otherwise can't mount the holosun 509 I just purchased.

MickAK, Joe in PG, Le Francais, HCM, Clusterfrack point taken. I won't carry a gun in the car until I'm to a point that I'm good enough to carry it on my person.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I’ll add Green Ops (Texas) which is a P-F site supporting business does training in both the San Antonio and Houston areas.

https://www.green-ops.com

Two trainers I recommend who specialize in new shooters are Tim Reedy of TDR traning in Bandera, TX (San Antonio/hill country) and Craig Summers of Templar Defense in the Houston area.

https://tdrtraining.com

https://www.templardefense.com/classes
    No personal experience, but a good friend of mine in the Houston area who is squared away has highly recommended Craig.

To the OP, while we all stress the importance of competency before carrying, it also may not take as long as you think to get there, especially with quality professional instruction. You are already set up for success in that you clearly don’t have the “I already know everything” attitude. That means you’ll pick things up faster than you know, and also that you should stick around here.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by paul-mf View Post
    Hi All,

First off, thank. you for all the replies on my "Can I build basic skills on airgun and online resources" thread. I don't seem to be able to respond on that thread; not sure if I just got lucky with the moderation window on that first post or if there is different treatment for first-time posts vs followups. In any case, no complaints with the moderation process, completely understand why we need moderation for new users.

I'm about to get serious about building my pistol skills for home and vehicle defense. I do not (yet) care about CCW and just want the easiest-to-shoot-accurately option for the 3m to 25m range, with minimal sensitivity about size or weight. Before I invest this time and $$ on learning I'd like to make sure I have the best platform. I currently have a Gen 3 Glock 19 that I've never learned to properly shoot (just one live fire trip to the family ranch with helpful tips from a few rifle-only shooters).

So my question is, if I don't care about CCW and I'm only just about to start real training on pistol use, should I reconsider the Glock 19 in favor of a more modern or larger option? I'm not particularly price sensitive. Probably don't want to jump straight to a Wilson or Stacatto XC, but something like a Kimber Scorpius would be perfectly fine if they are definitively better than a Glock 19 for ease of use, and at least as reliable with gentle treatment and maintenance. At the end of the day, my priorities are that the gun works when I need it and that I have the best chance of hitting a mid range target with minimal skills. My current plan is to invest in a Holo 509 with Vulcan sites for whichever pistol I go with, but I am very open to other options if better suited to my objectives.

Thanks again for all the helpful responses I've already received.

-Paul
    To reiterate what others have said, there isn’t a “better” HD gun than a G19. Anything else is just different, not better. Some different things won’t be as good, some will.

Keep it simple: I encourage you to just buy ammo, get some quality training, and practice. Maybe get a G44 and some .22 LR to reduce the shooting cost over time. The G19 can do the job just fine for CCW, but you may find a smaller gun more pleasant to carry 24/7/365. Keeping it simple again, look at the G26 for that job.

Good luck!

...gen 5 MOS ... holosun 509
    Excellent choices. If my life depended on a gun and optic, these would share the top of my list with only a few other options.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Not at all, psalms144.1, I welcome the direct feedback. So much to learn! The gun won't go with me anywhere until I've completed enough training to feel confident using it to hit 6" targets at 7 yards+. I've also shelved gun upgrades other than exchanging my gen 3 for a gen 5 MOS since I otherwise can't mount the holosun 509 I just purchased.

MickAK, Joe in PG, Le Francais, HCM, Clusterfrack point taken. I won't carry a gun in the car until I'm to a point that I'm good enough to carry it on my person.
    The Gen 5 MOS is a great gun.

It’s more mechanically accurate and reliable than older Glocks due, respectively to the Marksman barrel and the breech face cut found in the Gen5 guns. I also prefer the grip texture and lack of finger grooves though the latter is somewhat dependent on hand size.

Gen 3 guns can be cut for an optic. The work, refinishing and shipping usually runs between $150 and $200 but an MOS cut gives you more options.

About 2/3 of the guns I’ve recovered at work have been stolen, with the majority of those stolen out of vehicles. Late last year a local officer I’ve both worked with and trained / shot with had his eye shot out during a rolling gun fight with a wanted felon armed with a gun stolen out of a vehicle. It’s not a hypothetical concern.

Man... if there's a better all around versatile, easy to run, and most of all reliable handgun than the Glock 19 I'd like to know about it. In my opinion it's the near perfect pistol platform for almost everyone with decent size hands. When shooters get more serious, stock Glock's ain't enough. But they're crazy simple to sup up.

Like many in this thread, with way more knowledge than me, have said. Get some ammo and take some quality courses. You may find you like the Glock family and stick with it and add more to the safe.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec
    Evolution Security Podcast

Site Supporter
    You cannot go wrong with Tim or Karl, both whom I know. However, not to pile on but you really need to start training and NOT go into those car carry schemes. Karl would take you through the basics such that you can safely carried concealed. That is the way to go. Don't go down the equipment rabbit hole. The stock Glock is fine - avoid all kinds of suspect mods. Want to see a Glock that doesn't run - look for upgrades. Hiding places in the car is not primary! Car guns are old TX, Old West BS as HCM stated. We were stuck with that for a bit with a weird ambiguous traveling law. That's gone.

As far as this or that gun for going into bad places - this is Internet BS - if it is truly sketchy don't go there. Also, the mythology is that a gun fight in a nice area will be less intense? How? More zombies in a bad area?

Train.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

User Tag List