Page 86 of 96 FirstFirst ... 36768485868788 ... LastLast

Thread: New revolvers at SHOT/Lipsey's release

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    So, I wonder what’s next in que? I would love a Lightweight Model 12, but make it .327 as well. Bobbed DAO.
    I think I mentioned similar but in .32 H&R mag back upstream.

BUT I would be happy with this model 12 carrying Lost River's .32 H&R Mag Ploy WC load and less for practice.

Come on Smith!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I think I mentioned similar but in .32 H&R mag back upstream.

BUT I would be happy with this model 12 carrying Lost River's .32 H&R Mag Ploy WC load and less for practice.

Come on Smith!
    This should happen with a 3" barrel, 7 shot cylinder and just for S&Gs, a TORO setup!!!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Attachment 117038

Quoted myself from WDYST thread.
    Revolver grips seem like such an individual thing. The 432UC grips on mine are possibly my favorite snubby grips now (aside from the taurus 85 boot grips....both I'm not putting those on this gun lol)

Site Supporter
    Shot my 432UC for the first time on Saturday. Just 50rnds of 100gr Lost River and a cylinder of 80gr Critical Defense. They all went bang, sights were on for elevation and hit drive the dot with the Lost River and a smidge low with the CD. I even dug out my Lee Turret press that has been sitting new in the box for 5 yrs and ordered some dies and brass. Still had 500 XTPs from when I used to shoot silhouettes with a 32-20.
    Adam

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    So, I wonder what’s next in que? I would love a Lightweight Model 12, but make it .327 as well. Bobbed DAO.
    My guess: Trying to get these revolvers produced.

Getting this product right on the production side has exposed some challenges for S&W that they now have significant incentive to solve. Anyone who has bought S&W revolvers in the last few years...especially J frames...has seen sub-optimal specimens leaving the factory at higher rates than desirable. Especially with the move factored in.

If what I've heard is correct, the splash of this new offering has made it a sufficiently high profile product that the company is now invested in trying to build these right and to do so the first time with adaptations and adjustments that will benefit other product lines, too.

The downside to that is it will likely mean slower production than we originally speculated. But I'm fine waiting until late summer to get revolvers that have the production bugs worked out.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post

Getting this product right on the production side has exposed some challenges for S&W that they now have significant incentive to solve. Anyone who has bought S&W revolvers in the last few years...especially J frames...has seen sub-optimal specimens leaving the factory at higher rates than desirable. Especially with the move factored in.

If what I've heard is correct, the splash of this new offering has made it a sufficiently high profile product that the company is now invested in trying to build these right and to do so the first time with adaptations and adjustments that will benefit other product lines, too.

The downside to that is it will likely mean slower production than we originally speculated. But I'm fine waiting until late summer to get revolvers that have the production bugs worked out.
    Well and, nicely said...
    Agreed 100%

Getting this product right on the production side has exposed some challenges for S&W that they now have significant incentive to solve. Anyone who has bought S&W revolvers in the last few years...especially J frames...has seen sub-optimal specimens leaving the factory at higher rates than desirable. Especially with the move factored in. .
    I've been saying throughout this thread that something seemed to have happened with gun companies circa mid 2010-ish where things fell off the cliff QC-wise. But the S&W move was just recently.. 2021-2022, right? And that would only be one excuse for one gun company, and only valid for 2021-ish onwards.

Some factors maybe in the explaiing wtf happened starting in the mid 2000s:
    • Revolvers: more complex beasts and I suspect the old gunsmiths who knew their stuff retired.
    • Corporate Management Model: corporate management is abusive and dysfunctional. My experience over 20 years has been a stream of management that does everthying possble to cut corners on quality in order to vomit out as much product possible. Management seems to be made entirely of people suffering from BPD and NPD.

thoughts?

I hope you're right, but I think there's more to it.

The revolver market had been in decline for decades before the unrest of the COVID/antifa years created a bunch of new but reluctant gun owners. They'll never get the training they need and they don't shoot much, so revolvers are a good choice for them. But when they go into a store, they see Smith & Wessons next to guns from Kimber, Ruger, Taurus, and Colt that cost less, have usable sights, and actually work. Then the mouth-breather clerk starts talking about how many guns they send back to S&W for warranty work and it's game over for Smith.

What kind of upside-down world are we living in when Taurus can fix their QC but S&W can't?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Although I haven't ordered an UC yet, a friend of mine ordered two of the 32s (one from one dealer and one from a second dealer--I guess he really wanted to get one ASAP!), and the first one showed up a few days before our planned range session on Friday. While I have been shooting 32s for some time (lucked into an older 432 years ago, and also have a 327 LCR and 327 TORO from Taurus). To start our range session we each shot the super snub test, and then did a bit of group shooting at different distances with the 432 UC to see what POI was with the 85 grain Federal load. My impressions are the grips are perfect for the 32, but I understand why some people have been swapping them out on the 38s. While certainly a big step up from the standard grips Smith includes on the base models, I could see how they could get uncomfortable to shoot with 38s. But in 32, even with the 85 grain Federals, it was pleasant.

While not as visible as the sights or grips, I personally am most excited about the new durability upgrades more than anything. You can swap around almost anything on a revolver, but having dealt with broken trigger pins before makes me happy to see some of the internal weaker points be addressed. I see the UC guns as the snub guns that you can buy, use, and keep for decades without having parts issues. As much as I want to just start buying some, I have a decent supply of j frames right now. I'll do the responsible thing and slowly save up and eventually get a set of the 32s, and likely at least one of the 38s. That will likely happen over the next 1-2 years for me.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post

What kind of upside-down world are we living in when Taurus can fix their QC but S&W can't?
    Wait… Taurus fixed their QC?
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List