Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for data-scan and assess-ambushes

Las Vegas Cop Killers Were Husband-Wife Team

LAS VEGAS, June 9, 2014— -- The couple who ambushed two Las Vegas cops and killed a civilian in a nearby Walmart store were a husband and wife team ...

https://abcnews.go.com/US/las-vegas-...ry?id=24052877

Not exactly an example of what the OP is looking for, but the private citizen went to engage the husband and the wife shot him as he passed by her.

Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post

In none of the OIS cases that I have handled, or have ever heard about, has there been an officer ambushed from someplace off to the side or behind during an OIS. My suspicion is that if such a threat was in the area, he or she is not going to stand by and wait for the officer to reholster, that person would already be shooting, running away, or whatever. Sure, a terrorist attack or organized assassination of a cop might be different, but scan and assess is not going to help in such a situation. Granted, I do not disagree that in the event of a "situation," it would be a good idea, if practical, for an officer to check for suspects, threats, victims, evidence, witnesses, etc. And I do see that happen, but usually only after the threat is secure and ems and backup is on the way and the situation is at least semi-stable. But that is a different thing, and scan & assess before holstering has no impact on that. In fact, often we want to get the gun out of the officer's hand and into a holster as soon as possible post shoot. Muzzle awareness and trigger finger discipline is often not great when you have just fought for your life or that of a victim.
    Not a LEO shooting, but wasn’t there recently an armed citizen approaching an active shooter in a Walmart that was killed by an accomplice of the primary shooter? While trying to research that incident I found a whole bunch of Walmart shootings involving armed citizens. The incident referred to in the post just above this is the one I was thinking of.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

https://youtu.be/2LfC6lWvdmc?si=BNwnhqfyJEFSW8uF

Not the exact scenario you requested but required the officer to "see" other things going on around him. Stolen vehicle stop where male driver flees. Female passenger stays and officer ends up going hands on. She attempts to pull a firearm. Armed male suspect returns.

The idea of trying to prepare students to deal with the immediate problem but have the presence of mind to continue being aware of the overall fight can't be resolved with range drills alone. The training needs to involve realistic scenarios that have students continue processing through the entire event and not incomplete segments. This topic touches on the same issues we've seen before and recently highlighted with Uvalde aftermath.
    Last edited by JF1; 01-23-2024 at 10:11 AM.

Thanks for those references. I have seen that dashcam before. I continue to believe that the automatic scan-assess-holster tactic that we are teaching and that has become popular, is largely useless and potentially harmful. There is a lot more I could say on this, but a massive thread in forum discussion does not seem the place.

User Tag List