Thread: What is it........"Deep Concealment".

What is it........"Deep Concealment".

I notice this term thrown around all the time..."Deep Concealment"...So what exactly does that mean. Is it a specific mode of carry other than OWB or IWB or is it some devious method only known by a few..........If so, can it be explained so the majority of us are all on the same page.....experts please weigh in.

Here is a blurb by Ellifritz on one definition of Deep Concealment.

I don't consider myself an "Expert" but deep concealment is generally understood to mean any concealment method that is basically going to require a pat down to discover the weapon. It's a method that emphasizes concealment over access. It can be AIWB but the gun must be below the pant's waistband so that a lifted shirt does not expose it.

"What is it......"Deep Concealment".

Many people who carry a concealed firearm, are in fact only "sort of" concealing the gun. If you look, you can see a small amount of printing. A bump or a lump that shouldn't be there. Body movement that is off just slightly. They get away with it because the average individual we interact with isn't looking for a concealed weapon. Actually a larger portion of the population is so engrossed with their electronic device that you could stick a rifle down your pants and go unnoticed. Don't believe this? Do a YouTube search for videos where they airbrush cloths onto a naked model and film her as she walks around an urban environment totally naked and no one notices. The average person in our society is clueless to their surroundings.

Some people are effective with concealing their gun and associated stuff. But the method of dress necessary to do so is in itself a red flag. Baggy cloths and/or an untucked shirt will blend in if that is a common method of dress for others around you. But Baggy cloths that are a size too big and an untucked shirt that looks like you stole it from your big brother will make you stand out in an environment where everyone else is wearing business casual or stylish cloths that are sized to fit, along with tucked in shirts.

Think of deep concealment as the ability to conceal a weapon in such a fashion that someone who is experienced at spotting an armed individual would have a difficult time noticing that you are armed.

Why this is an issue?

One reason would be the person who worked in a non-permissive environment. At my last retirement job, I would have been terminated if it were discovered that I had a firearm while at work. Even though legally, I was ok to do so. Many armed citizens feel the need to be armed to protect themselves from bad people who do bad things. But they still need their job so they can pay their mortgage. For these people, deep concealment is a compromise.

Another reason this becomes important is for those few individuals, Undercover LEO's and Government employees whose work takes them to places and around people who would kill them if it were known that they were armed are a couple of examples. For some people, their profession takes them into harms way when dealing with evil individuals. Being discovered to be armed could be really bad for these people.

One reason that always sticks out to me is: If I am doing a crappy job of concealing a pistol so that it can be spotted that I am armed, then it's an issue. If my situational awareness is off at the wrong time and I happen to be in a store that is being robbed, the suspects may consider me to be a threat. Threats tend to get addressed early on. . .

Site Supporter
    While it can also mean a general concept of carrying with a high level of concealment, to me, this term is most often used to describe carrying below the beltline using a Phlster Enigma or similar system. Check out this video from the guy who kinda spearheaded the concept:

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    "What is it......"Deep Concealment".

Many people who carry a concealed firearm, are in fact only "sort of" concealing the gun. If you look, you can see a small amount of printing. A bump or a lump that shouldn't be there. Body movement that is off just slightly. They get away with it because the average individual we interact with isn't looking for a concealed weapon. Actually a larger portion of the population is so engrossed with their electronic device that you could stick a rifle down your pants and go unnoticed. Don't believe this? Do a YouTube search for videos where they airbrush cloths onto a naked model and film her as she walks around an urban environment totally naked and no one notices. The average person in our society is clueless to their surroundings.

Some people are effective with concealing their gun and associated stuff. But the method of dress necessary to do so is in itself a red flag. Baggy cloths and/or an untucked shirt will blend in if that is a common method of dress for others around you. But Baggy cloths that are a size too big and an untucked shirt that looks like you stole it from your big brother will make you stand out in an environment where everyone else is wearing business casual or stylish cloths that are sized to fit, along with tucked in shirts.

Think of deep concealment as the ability to conceal a weapon in such a fashion that someone who is experienced at spotting an armed individual would have a difficult time noticing that you are armed.

Why this is an issue?

One reason would be the person who worked in a non-permissive environment. At my last retirement job, I would have been terminated if it were discovered that I had a firearm while at work. Even though legally, I was ok to do so. Many armed citizens feel the need to be armed to protect themselves from bad people who do bad things. But they still need their job so they can pay their mortgage. For these people, deep concealment is a compromise.

Another reason this becomes important is for those few individuals, Undercover LEO's and Government employees whose work takes them to places and around people who would kill them if it were known that they were armed are a couple of examples. For some people, their profession takes them into harms way when dealing with evil individuals. Being discovered to be armed could be really bad for these people.

One reason that always sticks out to me is: If I am doing a crappy job of concealing a pistol so that it can be spotted that I am armed, then it's an issue. If my situational awareness is off at the wrong time and I happen to be in a store that is being robbed, the suspects may consider me to be a threat. Threats tend to get addressed early on. . .
    This is a good explanation. I would add that we should always carry so that even a trained observer would have a difficult time spotting the gun. What happens if we need to make an unplanned trip to a location where the gun is legal but the property owner prohibits guns on the property? We can all think of locations where getting banned from the premises could cause real problems.

Non-permissive environment carry is a separate issue. If one absolutely, positively cannot be caught or significant consequences will result, then compromises to size, caliber, capacity, and accuracy may be required for perfect concealment at all times. Access to the gun, however, should remain high, although it may be compromised for optimal concealment. You may need to quickly and discreetly transfer the gun off your person to a secure location for a trip to a place where it is illegal, and then back to your person when you return.

Deep concealment to me means that the gun is very well hidden, with access to the gun being a lower priority than keeping it hidden, for example, an “onion field” gun or a backup gun carried by someone who fears kidnapping. This might be a gun that is carried in the hope that it will not be noticed when the primary gun is taken away.
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 01-19-2024 at 02:14 PM.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List