Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why no 1301 20 gauge

Why no 1301 20 gauge

The argument against 20 gauge in a defensive shotgun has been the 1301 is lighter, recoils less, is better featured than 20 gauge shotguns, and launches Flite Control buck.

Seeing that Federal is releasing 20 gauge Flite Control, it makes me wonder why no 1301 in 20 gauge. It could be handier, recoil less than the 12, while still delivering effective buck loads. Plus, the Brenneke 20 gauge slugs are available.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The argument against 20 gauge in a defensive shotgun has been the 1301 is lighter, recoils less, is better featured than 20 gauge shotguns, and launches Flite Control buck.

Seeing that Federal is releasing 20 gauge Flite Control, it makes me wonder why no 1301 in 20 gauge. It could be handier, recoil less than the 12, while still delivering effective buck loads. Plus, the Brenneke 20 gauge slugs are available.
    Most likely market and ROI considerations. It would be fantastic for smaller, structured people as a defensive tool.

Also, for most manly men, it’s like a chrome plated sissy pistol is my guess…..

I doubt the civilian market would embrace it. Sales to military and LEO would probably be underwhelming. Is there a difference between a tactical shotgun and a home defense shotgun? I would think the 20ga version would be a HD shotgun.

They should run it up the flag pole anyway to see if anyone salutes. Beretta has deep pockets.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

If you look at trends, we have gone from .45 to .40 to 9mm in pistols, from .38 and .357 to .32 and .22 LR in small revolvers, and from .308 to 5.56 in carbines. Bullet placement and construction being prioritized over pure caliber.

A 20 gauge Brenneke has better sectional density than the 12 gauge Brenneke equivalent, and recoils like .308 out of an AR10. If Beretta made a 1301 in 20, I would be all over it.

Further reducing recoil would seem to be the only advantage (unless I'm missing one), and that's only if the shotgun weight remains the same. If the weight is further reduced to a scaled down 20 ga platform the recoil reduction may be imperceptible.

And for that, one gives up ammunition selection (far more options for the 12) and payload capacity.

Example, took my daughter to a defensive shotgun class back in 2013. Took a 20 ga in addition to the 12 gauges in case she had any issues. She, eighteen year old girl, did just fine with the 12 gauge and the 20 gauge stayed in the truck all day.

Not sure there'd be a huge market. I know I wouldn't be interested. No plans to add any 20 ga to the battery/collection.

If you look at trends, we have gone from .45 to .40 to 9mm in pistols, from .38 and .357 to .32 and .22 LR in small revolvers, and from .308 to 5.56 in carbines. Bullet placement and construction being prioritized over pure caliber.

A 20 gauge Brenneke has better sectional density than the 12 gauge Brenneke equivalent, and recoils like .308 out of an AR10. If Beretta made a 1301 in 20, I would be all over it.
    I think the popularity of the 5.56 NATO was because of the adoption by the military. I know it was my choice when I built a precision rifle because of availability of components to load the cartridge. The military has moved on to the 6.8×51mm cartridge and in 10 years that ammo will as cheap as 5.56 to load or shoot. More or less the same with 9x19 being adopted by LE and military.

I often considered a 20 ga Benelli M2 for upland hunting though. I think 20 ga may be under rated by many. Most gas operated shotguns have light recoil. My 11-87 is a very soft shooter compared to my 870 and Citori. I just compared them recently.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter

Takeoff your shooter hat, and put on your businessman hat.

It’s that whole gun companies exist to make money, not guns thing.

Niche market with a limited selection of relevant ammo compared to 12 gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Takeoff your shooter hat, and put on your businessman hat.

It’s that whole gun companies exist to make money, not guns thing.

Niche market with a limited selection of relevant ammo compared to 12 gauge.
    I hear you, but when your focus is solely on making money, you usually don't make much of it. When you focus on making great products, and anticipating trends, you can do really well.

The 1301 is lightweight compared to most twelve gauge shotguns, but significantly thicker and heavier than my 20 gauge Benelli M2, dedicated slug launcher. Since I hike with a shotgun in my hand, thinner and lighter is a good thing. I was just discussing this with Darryl B, and he and Mel love their twenty gauge Beretta shotguns, and love the concept of a 1301 in 20. Since Beretta already has an A400 in 20, I can't imagine development costs would be that high.

A better handling, reliable shotgun that delivers fight stopping buck and Brenneke slugs, and is more fun to shoot, might have more appeal than you think.

Site Supporter
    I hear you, but when your focus is solely on making money, you usually don't make much of it. When you focus on making great products, and anticipating trends, you can do really well.

The 1301 is lightweight compared to most twelve gauge shotguns, but significantly thicker and heavier than my 20 gauge Benelli M2, dedicated slug launcher. Since I hike with a shotgun in my hand, thinner and lighter is a good thing. I was just discussing this with Darryl B, and he and Mel love their twenty gauge Beretta shotguns, and love the concept of a 1301 in 20. Since Beretta already has an A400 in 20, I can't imagine development costs would be that high.

A better handling, reliable shotgun that delivers fight stopping buck and Brenneke slugs, and is more fun to shoot, might have more appeal than you think.
    Would be something I would buy

IIRC, and its been a long day so maybe I'm off, but I believe 20 gauge slugs about same power as 454 Casull in levergun. Used to be some factory sabot loads for 20 gauge rifles barrels used bullets for 454.

User Tag List