Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fight Lights: Weapon Mounted vs. Handheld

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I would think that would be very dependent on hand size, light size, holster type, concealment garments, WML switchology, etc., and that's only on a flat range, without movement from the shooter or target, or the possibility of multiple targets.

In that scenario, wouldn't keeping a constant awareness of the target with handheld as you both move etc be better?

I'd never tell someone not to carry a WML if they can and want to, and I'd never try to argue that once you're actually pulling the trigger, a WML isn't better than handheld, it's more about the case for the "need" to carry one.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    I did a drill shooting at night with my brother which got him to "see the light" on this.

So we started with a handheld on the nefarious steel plate. On the beep, he could either drop the handheld, draw his pistol and use his WML, or just keep the handheld light in his hand and draw and shoot one handed. Contrary to his expectation, just keeping the light on and drawing and shooting one handed was faster and easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I would think that would be very dependent on hand size, light size, holster type, concealment garments, WML switchology, etc., and that's only on a flat range, without movement from the shooter or target, or the possibility of multiple targets.
    The test in question does appear to be more designed to prove a point than to test a theory, at least the way in which it is described.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Great points, thanks for taking the time to post them!

To clarify, the context of the article is for a civilian (non-LEO) in a public setting. Inside one's home is a different set of circumstances (especially in a state with Castle Doctrine law), and a LEO (on duty or off) is going to have far more latitude in drawing their weapon without any "brandishing" repercussions.

A scenario that comes to mind is I already have my handheld light out for SA purposes in a public space - a practice I advocate. Suddenly, a threat emerges and I find myself in a defensive situation where the use of deadly force would be justified. As I draw my WML-equipped pistol, do I drop the handheld and transition to the WML, or do I keep the threat illuminated and continue to use the handheld with my well-practiced flashlight-pistol technique?

Under the stress of the moment, I think retaining the handheld light is going to be more instinctual because it's already in-hand and illuminating the threat.

So as a civilian in a public space, if my SOP is to have the handheld deployed whenever it's needed, and if I'm going to retain the light and use it with the pistol if a threat emerges, does a WML mounted to the pistol become largely irrelevant? Would my training bandwidth be better spent on a tool that has broader application?

As always, just my 2-cents served up as food for thought. My thanks again to all for chiming in!
    First of all, I like your article. It jives with the training I've had and my personal experience. My serious firepower HD firearms are equipped with WML's.

My handheld lights are both antiques in today's world, the Nighthawk Gladius and its' direct descendant, the Estrella. Both are large, robust and reliable lights IMHO. I am sure there are much brighter lights to be had nowadays, but I love the way those lights feel in hand and how they operate. The Estrella will peel paint I think.

To paraphase Clint Smith, "It's a big light when I put it on and it's a big light when I pull it out."
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The test in question does appear to be more designed to prove a point than to test a theory, at least the way in which it is described.
    The point being, "not carrying a WML might not in fact be instant Kilt in Streetz" as we (my brothers and I) had once believed

In that scenario, wouldn't keeping a constant awareness of the target with handheld as you both move etc be better?

I'd never tell someone not to carry a WML if they can and want to, and I'd never try to argue that once you're actually pulling the trigger, a WML isn't better than handheld, it's more about the case for the "need" to carry one.
    I dunno. It may not be. If you lose track of each other, could very well give you the ability to then disengage and exfil. In theory, the would-be assailant just had a shit ton of lumens in their face and probably can't see you very well, if it's dark enough that you have to use your light, plus your draw should be fast enough that it should be relatively easy to figure out which direction they went even with movement. Dunno, just seemed to me that if first shot on target was the primarily determinant, it didn't seem very likely for either party to be standing flat footed, and still ignores a host of the other factors I noted.

I'm not saying that WMLs are a necessary component of an EDC gun, even though I only carry with a full-sized WML, just that the test itself seemed very one-dimensional and would not have swayed me in itself.

The point being, "not carrying a WML might not in fact be instant Kilt in Streetz" as we (my brothers and I) had once believed
    I can buy that.

So long as the point wasn’t “there is no benefit whatsoever in carrying a pistol with a wml”.

😜
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    I've used the turning targets on our indoor range to do something similar that I learned from ToddG.

The shooter doesn't know if the target is a threat or non-threat and has to PID before drawing pistol. I generally find that it's easier to keep the handheld in my hand an draw and shoot SHO.

I think the drill represents a pretty realistic use of a light for a civilian where searching with a gun out seems like a bad idea. There are obviously scenarios where a WML makes a lot more sense (home defense, field use, walking a dog, and carrying young kids).

Site Supporter
    I can buy that.

So long as the point wasn’t “there is no benefit whatsoever in carrying a pistol with a wml”.

😜
    Nope, like I said, "I'd never tell someone not to carry a WML if they can and want to, and I'd never try to argue that once you're actually pulling the trigger, a WML isn't better than handheld, it's more about the case for the "need" to carry one."

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    The shooter doesn't know if the target is a threat or non-threat and has to PID before drawing pistol. I generally find that it's easier to keep the handheld in my hand an draw and shoot SHO.
    Handheld in the draw, you could pretty easily be as fast to that first shot, or possibly even faster, especially if your WML's switchology isn't super great for you and your hands are big enough in relation to your light. But the original post was talking about a one-handed draw (and I assume keeping the light on target the whole time), which I personally find it very unlikely for myself to ever be as fast if I'm having to clear concealment garments, especially consistently.

Dunno, maybe I'm colored by how easy my switchology is, given that I use a DG switch.

Drills & Exercises

With a high-candela "fight light" already deployed, during the draw I aim to keep the beam in the face of the assailant to create a photonic barrier.

I drill this regularly at home: I have an IDPA target set up about 15 feet away and start with the light illuminating it with only the spill (hot spot at the feet). I raise the beam from the "low ready" position to place the hot spot on the head of the target while drawing the pistol from concealment, acquire a sight picture and press the trigger on a snap cap. This routine is basically a draw-from-cover exercise using the strong hand only while controlling the placement of the light with the support hand. I think the ability to use a photonic barrier (and possibly induce some retina leaching) provides an advantage worth pursuing.

At the local indoor range we cannot draw and fire from a holster, so I do the same drill but with the pistol in a low-ready position as well. With this exercise I focus more on the mechanics of shooting in combination with the light.

Having the "fight light" already in-hand is really key to taking full advantage of the options it opens. If the fight light has to be drawn along with the pistol, the WML will prevail every time.

The following photos were taken using the Malkoff E2 Hyper Throw head (500 lumen | 35,000 cd) to illustrate use of the fight light (distance to target about 30 feet), and ideally in combination with MUC technique;

The low-light environment;

Using beam spill to detect & assess threat;

Using beam hot spot to create a photonic barrier;

Last edited by NH Shooter; 01-15-2024 at 12:35 PM.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

User Tag List