Thread: On-view robbery arrest - Carson, CA

On-view robbery arrest - Carson, CA

The video is at on that page:
    https://ktla.com/news/local-news/vid...ven-in-carson/

Early this AM, four subjects (at least one a female) were trying to rob a 7-11 in Carson, CA (part of LA Conty). After they're in the store, a solo, uniformed LASD patrol deputy walks into the store, realizes what's going on, draws down on the four - who are eventually taken into custody without issue.

Cool.

Watch the video. Look where and how the patrol car is parked. Could that have a realistic chance of things going very, very bad? For the cop, for the clerk?

For those of you still working, just something to consider from a patrol tactics POV.

Site Supporter
    When I had a real job and a real cruiser, I don't think I ever backed up to a 7-11 like that. (OK, maybe sometime in thirty-seven years, I did so at some point, but almost never.) I might pull directly up to the store, but generally preferred parking at a distance. "Tactical parking", as we say, or backing in (as everyone else says), isn't a bad idea, but this video shows some risks.

To the deputy's credit, he did respond quickly once he realized what was up In fairness to him, he might have observed the bad guys in the mirrors as he backed in and had an inkling of trouble ahead. Regardless, the video shows the need for situational awareness when approaching or entering a retail store. Overall, bravo zulu to the deputy for his quick response and a cautionary note on situational awareness. If the bad guys had more situational awareness, this could have entered much differently and not necessarily in a positive way.

Many years ago in my jurisdiction, an officer entering his bank to deposit his then-paper check passed a fleeing robber on his way out. It was hypothesized that the suspect did not engage the officer because the officer was so absorbed in the details of his paycheck.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Thank God it ended the way it did. But the fortuitous outcome was due solely to blind luck and uncommitted crooks. Not tactics, not aggressive response, nothing. And we all know the saying about fortuitous outcomes. 'Tactical Parking' my ass.

Site Supporter
    If you are reading this, Kudos for A Job Well Done ! Glad to see you survived without injury.

Site Supporter
    “Stop Resisting!”

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    "His training kicked into High Gear". Sigh. I'm sorry.....I just can't anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    "His training kicked into High Gear". Sigh. I'm sorry.....I just can't anymore.
    On patrol, working nights, in an area with a string of 7-11 robberies, he just walked into a robbery in progress. The training point is "this is not how to buy coffee and snacks or how to use the can while on patrol."
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List