Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: EDC Light Carry

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    It's nice they sell replacement clips. But, if the clips were really robust most people wouldn't need a replacement. Why are nearly* all flashlight clips flimsy and crappy, while even the cheapest pocket knives have solid clips?

https://www.benchmade.com/products/984765f
    Attachment 113759

*Malkoff bodies excepted.

My guess is the way the clip attaches to the host. A knife clip is screwed to a solid, flat surface so the design of the clip is simple (less forming) and can be made thicker.

Gene Malkoff wisely decided to make his E-series pocket clips like a simple knife clip, screwed to the body. As noted, it's a solid set up.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    My guess is the way the clip attaches to the host. A knife clip is screwed to a solid, flat surface so the design of the clip is simple (less forming) and can be made thicker.

Gene Malkoff wisely decided to make his E-series pocket clips like a simple knife clip, screwed to the body. As noted, it's a solid set up.
    Agreed. If Gene made a 18350 body that fit the BG2, most of my problems would be solved.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

[B]My guess is the way the clip attaches to the host.
    This is exactly my experience. The way most clips just snap onto the body, like on the protac I posted above, leaves a lot to be desired. The way the Quark lights, and an acebeam I got somewhat recently, do it by locking the clip down via the threads, is vastly superior ime.
    Name:  IMG_2490.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  31.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_2489.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  26.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_2492.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  73.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_2493.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  61.8 KB
    It's nice they sell replacement clips. But, if the clips were really robust most people wouldn't need a replacement. Why are nearly* all flashlight clips flimsy and crappy, while even the cheapest pocket knives have solid clips?
    I agree that most light clips are subpar, but I’ve bent/broken a few bench made clips over the years, but that clip on the quark light went on the day I got it and is still there after countless meetings with commercial oven doors, car doors, stainless steel tables, walk-in refrigerators, etc. maybe I’m just lucky, but it’s held up.

Site Supporter
    I found that Spyderco black Delica plastic clips would break and then I had them replaced by Spyderco with black metal ones but they broke also. So I replaced them with the stainless clips which were more sturdy. Surefire clips would break. I once asked them if they had a 5 pack and they got mad at me for asking. YOU can only get them one at a time. Duh - don't know if they are that way now. Haven't had a clip break on my EDC posted early though and it's been a few years.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I found that Spyderco black Delica plastic clips would break and then I had them replaced by Spyderco with black metal ones but they broke also. So I replaced them with the stainless clips which were more sturdy. Surefire clips would break. I once asked them if they had a 5 pack and they got mad at me for asking. YOU can only get them one at a time. Duh - don't know if they are that way now. Haven't had a clip break on my EDC posted early though and it's been a few years.
    Surefire clips were terrible. I bent at least 4.

Surefire clips were terrible. I bent at least 4.
    The sure fire way to avoid issues with broken or bent pocket clips is not to use them.

(I can hear CF cursing me out all the way here in NH)
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

The sure fire way to avoid issues with broken or bent pocket clips is not to use them.

(I can hear CF cursing me out all the way here in NH)
    If every pair of pants was as awesome as the Prometheus I’m wearing today, I wouldn’t need clips.

If every pair of pants was as awesome as the Prometheus I’m wearing today, I wouldn’t need clips.

Need purchase link for these pants.

Need purchase link for these pants.
    This batch is mostly sold out.

https://prometheusdesignwerx.com/col...40038137790550

User Tag List