Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Privateer "Bilge Rat" Holsters

Site Supporter

Privateer "Bilge Rat" Holsters

They're here. Several of us have his made-to-order holsters; I'm really happy with mine. These are simplified versions that he makes in his "spare time". You can't order them, what's available is what's on the web page. $75 for a quality leather OWB with no wait is pretty damned good. He currently has a few for 1911s and BHPs plus some others including lefties. I've already sent an "I'll take it" email for #6.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I've already sent an "I'll take it" email for #6.
    ...and he's already replied, confirming that the holster is mine and asking about method of payment. Now I'm waiting for him to send me an invoice so I can pay him.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Site Supporter
    The holster came yesterday while I was in Dallas, I didn’t get home until late this afternoon. Here’s what it looks like with my M49, on top of my old Lyman Cast Bullet Manual, turned to the .38 Special data of course.

Name:  IMG_0343.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  74.7 KB

The leather is standard thickness and it is tight. It took a concerted shove to insert the gun, and will take some break-in. It almost clicks in like in a kydex holster. Carrying a J frame in an OWB holster might raise some eyebrows around here, but I’ve got pants that have shrunk excessively around the waist so it makes sense to me.

I’m going to risk getting killt in da streetz tomorrow and carry the M49 for a trip to the range. I need to try the AE .38 Special 158-grain RNLs in it anyway.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    The leather is standard thickness and it is tight. It took a concerted shove to insert the gun, and will take some break-in. It almost clicks in like in a kydex holster.
    Everybody knows the trick about wrapping the gun in a plastic freezer bag and shoving it in the holster overnight, yes?

Stay safe out there!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    I know that trick, but I’m going to try to break it in by practicing with it.

Site Supporter
    I threaded the Bilge Rat onto an old Looper Leather belt and followed it with an old Ted Blocker wire speedloader holder, feeling like a character in a '70s detective flick. Five rounds of R-P 148-grain wadcutters were in the M49, five rounds of AE 158-grain RNLs were in the HKS speedloader, and another five rounds of the AE load were in the speed strip in my pocket. All I lacked were the wide lapels and big hair and I would've really been on point.

The first thing I did was a Snubby Super Test since I had 15 rounds on board. There wasn't a timed draw and I passed with a few extra points. Then I did a few Five-Yard Roundups which did require a draw and found that the holster, though tight, released the gun with no drama, and reholstering was easy. The holster almost acts like kydex that smells nice, there was a "click" on reholstering. The gun's butt was held in firmly but achieving a firing grip was no problem.

I really like this holster. I'm going to keep an eye on his website and see what else he comes up with that I want need. Highly recommended!

Site Supporter
    I just placed an order. Communication was prompt, and it appears that the holster will ship quickly.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    I was perusing his current offerings, and he had a black one for a G19. It's on its way to me now.

If you peruse the list all the way to the end you’ll see he has some green died holsters with the MHI stamp instead of the bilge rat if you’re a Larry Corriea fan.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Name:  IMG_0165.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  47.5 KB
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List