Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Glock 17 mags in a 19

Safariland 6280 and Eagle mag pouch...the usual.

I only asked because I too have, at times, carried a G23 in place of my issued G22 for full time duty use. I usually get hung up on holsters. I usually use leather with a thumb break most of the time, and switch over to a Safariland 6578 ALS for tactical operations or when dressed up for open carry operations. While the G23 (or G19) will work in all of the holsters the G22 will, it doesn't fit as well in the 6578 as the full size. My holster dilemma is one of the reasons I periodically buy and then subsequently sell a lot of different types of holsters.

I also shoot the G23 marginally better than the G22, but the G22 feels better in the hand.

Quote Originally Posted by t101 View Post
    I only asked because I too have, at times, carried a G23 in place of my issued G22 for full time duty use. I usually get hung up on holsters. I usually use leather with a thumb break most of the time, and switch over to a Safariland 6578 ALS for tactical operations or when dressed up for open carry operations. While the G23 (or G19) will work in all of the holsters the G22 will, it doesn't fit as well in the 6578 as the full size. My holster dilemma is one of the reasons I periodically buy and then subsequently sell a lot of different types of holsters.

I also shoot the G23 marginally better than the G22, but the G22 feels better in the hand.
    That's easy to fix. Just buy a holster meant for the gun or gun/light combo.

I've used Safariland my entire career. My academy holster and first on the street was the SSIII 070. Still an absolutely fantastic holster today. I then moved to a 6280, then a Level II Raptor and then an ALS. A couple years ago I went back to the 6280 after deciding it works best for me. It takes several thousand draws and reholsters for the drawstroke to really get into muscle memory which translates to a couple days on the range and dryfire draws at home. I have yet to find a duty holster manufacturer whose product is even close to comparable.

If you need a traditional snap holster go buy an SSIII 070. Otherwise grab a 6280 designed for the Glock 19/23.

As for shooting the mid-size Glock better than the fullsize I have found this is true for me as well. I think it is the fact that the smaller frame forces me to choke up with a more solid grip.

Quote Originally Posted by quack View Post
    Just note that if you reload with a 17 mag in a 19 (without a spacer), there is always a chance for over insertion.

While not a Glock, another student in a class I took this summer over inserted a full size mag into a compact HK. This locked the gun up and he bent the ejector.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Which model HK?

KevH,

Continuing on with what others have said, I will add a bit from my personal experience.

I ran an issued G19 overseas for a number of years. I pretty much always ran G17 mags. Depending on the mission and the level of dress, kit, etc, I usually would run a stock G17 mag as my primary mag and then G17 mags with +5 baseplates on my first-line gear. I had zero G17 vs G19 magazine related issues. I also ran a light, when using a drop leg.

Your initial post and thought process seems quite logical and sound.

Personally I found with addition of the +5 adapters to the G17 mags and a Light/Laser combo, using the G19 was almost like cheating.

Here stateside, I carry a G19 off duty with a G19 mag in the gun, w/ a G17 spare. Nothing high-speed or fancy, just stuff that works.

Site Supporter
    I've used G17 Mags in G19's and G22 Mags in G23's for years, never had an issue. It will help the pinching issue during reloads and of course the added benefit of a couple extra rounds on tap.

Bob
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

User Tag List