Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 mags in a 19

Quote Originally Posted by quack View Post
    Just note that if you reload with a 17 mag in a 19 (without a spacer), there is always a chance for over insertion.

While not a Glock, another student in a class I took this summer over inserted a full size mag into a compact HK. This locked the gun up and he bent the ejector.
    ^ Sorry, but I had to chime in on this one.

You cant over insert a G17 Magazine into a Glock 26 or Glock 19, unless the mag or frame is damaged or you try to deliberately hammer, like with an actual hammer, the mag past this point.
    Reason: Both the magazine and frame have a ledge that prevents over-insertion, they stop on one another.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post
    Yes. Really. It's been done since the 80's. This question is as dated as asking if one can or cannot touch MC Hammer's rapping.
    From the Code of Conduct:
    http://pistol-forum.com/misc.php?do=showrules

Remain polite and professional in your conversation with others. Demeaning, insulting, and berating other members will not be tolerated.

http://youtu.be/DXohG9HfR1M

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by SPDGG View Post
    ^ Sorry, but I had to chime in on this one.

You cant over insert a G17 Magazine into a Glock 26 or Glock 19, unless the mag or frame is damaged or you try to deliberately hammer, like with an actual hammer, the mag past this point.
    Reason: Both the magazine and frame have a ledge that prevents over-insertion, they stop on one another.
    Yep. 100% correct.

It is possible, but it requires so much force that you will probably break something in the process.

I actually tried it back years ago and actually bruised my hand doing it. It still didn't over insert.

You can see it easily if you lock the slide open and ease the magazine in, you will see both of the ledges.

I believe this was done because the guns were designed around the idea of using extended magazines. AKA G18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXohG9HfR1M

Exactly!

Paul's practical wisdom is missed...

This is correct.

I made some pictures when this topic was discussed in another forum. There is a tab on the mag that hits a tab on the frame inside the magwell that prevents the feed lips from going high enough to impact the ejector:

Tab on the side of the mag:

Tab on the inside of the magwell:

The highest the mag will go in the magwell:

Glock is the only manufacturer that I know of that uses this system where you can use a full size mag in a subcompact pistol without a spacer, and without the concern of over-insertion.

Related, but different -- I have heard of reliability problems with using a Glock 20 magazine in a Glock 29. Reported by other G29 users, and supported by a friend at Glock. The thought is that the magazine protruding so far below the grip allows torquing of the magazine, and causes the problem.

While I haven't heard of the problems in the 9mm pistols, out of caution I have limited the amount of magazine extending below the grip -- using a 17 mag as a reload in the 19, and a 19 magazine in the 26.

To test this theory I have done stuff over the years like run a G26 with a G18 mag, and (Gasp!) rest it on cover.

Almost every one of our troops reloads thrier G19 or 26 with G17 mags. I have never seen a stoppage from this practice.

For a G19 I'd run a 19 mag and a +2 base pad in the gun, regualr G17 mags as the reloads. Standard G19 mags for when I conceal the gun or get to wear heavier clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    I'm pondering carrying my Glock 19 for everything in the next year (uniform and CCW). In uniform, I plan to carry it with a Surefire X300 attached. I started playing with different combos and I have to say I really like the feel of the gun with G17 mags when the light is attached. It seems to balance things out well (obviously the feel changes as the magazine gets near empty).

Has anyone else found this?
    Anyone see anything wrong with carrying G17 mags in a G19?

I'll use G19 mags without the light attached when not in uniform.

What holster/mag pouch combos are you thinking about using?

User Tag List