Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speer Gold Dot G2 - Loose Packed in Cans?

Speer Gold Dot G2 - Loose Packed in Cans?

Can anybody weigh in on this ammo, claims authentic Speer Gold Dot G2 but the price seems extremely good and it's strangely loose packed in a plastic can. First question, assuming it is authentic would there be any downside, other than storage, to having it arrive in a can loose? Is it safe to fire without checking each round OAL to check for bullet setback? Is it not a good idea to carry such ammo, considering most duty ammo comes in boxes that I've seen?

https://www.velocityammosales.com/pr...t-1000-rounds/

My wild assed guess is that it's LE trade in ammo. We used to do the same thing with our old duty loading- the Speer 165 grain Gold Dot. Officers cycle through to qualify, and they download their duty mags into a 50 caliber ammo can, and they get issued a new box of duty ammo upon qualifying.

It could also be ammo which failed QC for cosmetic reasons or rejected by the LE customer. Might be worth a phone call or email to the vendor.

Quote Originally Posted by RealSelf View Post
    Can anybody weigh in on this ammo, claims authentic Speer Gold Dot G2 but the price seems extremely good and it's strangely loose packed in a plastic can. First question, assuming it is authentic would there be any downside, other than storage, to having it arrive in a can loose? Is it safe to fire without checking each round OAL to check for bullet setback? Is it not a good idea to carry such ammo, considering most duty ammo comes in boxes that I've seen?

https://www.velocityammosales.com/pr...t-1000-rounds/

Site Supporter
    Velocity recently had another listing for 1,000 loose rounds of 124 gr. Gold Dot +P which had brass casings (not nickel plated), and which was described as a contract overrun.

This 147 gr. listing is not described as a contract overrun, and a reason for it being available is not specified.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Sometimes this bulk stuff is factory "reclassified" meaning it did not meet the specs to be put in boxes and sold as first quality ammo.

I have heard that can be simply cosmetic things sometimes. All of the "reclassified" ammo I have purchased that was in boxes from the factory marked "not for duty use" still went bang and functioned fine.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

For that kinda money, I would just order case of HST.
    https://www.massammo.com/product/fed...mm-124gr-case/

Quote Originally Posted by DLWinner View Post
    For that kinda money, I would just order case of HST.
    https://www.massammo.com/product/fed...mm-124gr-case/
    I understand that is an option but considering the G2 147 Gr. is very difficult to even FIND let alone at a decent price, it is a consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by RealSelf View Post
    I understand that is an option but considering the G2 147 Gr. is very difficult to even FIND let alone at a decent price, it is a consideration.
    I would never consider for carry a batch of ammunition of unknown quality and history. I'd carry factory boxed Speer Lawman before I'd carry this stuff.

Consider that G2 is only an incremental improvement in barrier performance compared to other contemporary defense rounds, anyway. I don't mean to downplay the importance of barrier performance, but I'd much rather have another high-end/first-rate, factory-fresh defense ammunition like HST or regular Gold Dot that I'm reasonably assured is going to perform as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    My wild assed guess is that it's LE trade in ammo. We used to do the same thing with our old duty loading- the Speer 165 grain Gold Dot. Officers cycle through to qualify, and they download their duty mags into a 50 caliber ammo can, and they get issued a new box of duty ammo upon qualifying.

It could also be ammo which failed QC for cosmetic reasons or rejected by the LE customer. Might be worth a phone call or email to the vendor.
    What do you guys do with the discarded duty ammo?

Why not just shoot the duty ammo for the qual, instead of downloading it just to have to load the mags again? That's what we do...show up and shoot the qual with your duty ammo, get new duty ammo afterwards. Someone will always find a way to fuck things up, but it goes a long way to ensuring only fresh, correct duty ammo is carried.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    What do you guys do with the discarded duty ammo?

Why not just shoot the duty ammo for the qual, instead of downloading it just to have to load the mags again? That's what we do...show up and shoot the qual with your duty ammo, get new duty ammo afterwards. Someone will always find a way to fuck things up, but it goes a long way to ensuring only fresh, correct duty ammo is carried.
    When we were a 40 cal agency, our range was rated for non-lead projectiles. We had to go to FLETC to fire duty ammunition. All of the ammo downloaded into the ammo cans got shot at FLETC for agency specific firearms training- when we were issuing UMP 40's, the dudes coming back from UPTP got a ton of trigger time on them.

Early production G2 did not meet specs and was sold off cheap with placard on cardboard cartons

"TRAINING ONLY - NOT FOR DUTY USE"

Accurate and functions fine but ZERO expansion.

FWIW, I called in to inquire about the source of the Gold Dot G2, and the gent on the phone stated that they were sourced from contract overruns.

Considering buying a case specifically to use for zeroing. Got a decent amount of the stuff in boxes, but would be nice to not burn those up just trying to reconfirm zero, and use it strictly for carrying.

User Tag List