Thread: 380+P Xtreme Penetrator vs. 38 wadcutter or 32 H&R Mag JHP?

380+P Xtreme Penetrator vs. 38 wadcutter or 32 H&R Mag JHP?

I'm trying to understand how to think about the difference between these with regard to wounding mechanism and penetration.

Wondering how something like the Underwood +P XP out of a G42, or a S&W EZ, compares to the classic .38 wadcutter/snubby combo? As I understand it, 38 wadcutters work passably well because of a modest amount of cutting/tearing ability as the wounding mechanism versus just crushing tissue out of the way like a ball round. I don't know exactly how to think about the fluted Penetrator. Do the flutes on the 380 XP bullet induce some modest amount of cutting as a wounding mechanism? If so, is it near the level of a wadcutter? Do they help to "bite" on rounded surfaces instead of skidding off like FMJ can?

My only sub-9mm centerfire handgun is a .327 LCR. I load that with Federal .32 H&R Mag JHP. Looking for a lighter weight, flatter alternative, as I have often been running over 40 miles per week lately. I'm thinking 16 oz loaded is the maximum. 380 would also be much cheaper and easier to source, and I honestly find it a little challenging to switch back and forth between the snubby and autoloaders with regard to index on press out. There is less continuity of training here for me.

Also interested in the larger 380 guns as a possibility for my older/smaller people with low tolerance for recoil and blast. It seems like the slightly hotter loads may do something to address functional problems in guns like the EZ, G42 and 365-380.

Site Supporter
    G42 and 642/442 are my typical workout guns. G42 in a smartcarry if it’s weights and exercise machines at the gym, G42 or jframe in the smartcarry if it’s outdoor running or tennis, same guns in fanny packs if it’s outdoor bike.

The G42 is light, thin, easy to shoot, and accurate, and I like it and carry it, but I suspect that the 148 gr FGMM wadcutter out of the Jframe may be more effective in tissue.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post

Also interested in the larger 380 guns as a possibility for my older/smaller people with low tolerance for recoil and blast. It seems like the slightly hotter loads may do something to address functional problems in guns like the EZ, G42 and 365-380.
    I can’t speak to the wounding mechanisms, as it’s completely out of my area. But I will warn you that Underwood 90 gr 380+P is probably not the solution for shooters who would be put off by recoil and blast. It’s pretty hot. I chrono’d some out of my wife’s Beretta 80X at 1151 fps. The recoil was sharp but not painful- but I sure wouldn’t choose to shoot them for fun. The all the other factory loads I measured were under 950 fps for 95 and 99 gr projectiles.
    I’d suggest looking at .32 ACP if you’re wanting less recoil out of a medium sized gun.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I can’t speak to the wounding mechanisms, as it’s completely out of my area. But I will warn you that Underwood 90 gr 380+P is probably not the solution for shooters who would be put off by recoil and blast. It’s pretty hot. I chrono’d some out of my wife’s Beretta 80X at 1151 fps. The recoil was sharp but not painful- but I sure wouldn’t choose to shoot them for fun. The all the other factory loads I measured were under 950 fps for 95 and 99 gr projectiles.
    I’d suggest looking at .32 ACP if you’re wanting less recoil out of a medium sized gun.
    Interesting. I wonder if that also has something to do with the Beretta being a blowback action? Chris Baker with LuckyGunner noted that the S&W EZ 380 has significantly less felt recoil than blowback designs that are heavier. Still, i'll be sure to order a limited amount of the Underwood if I ever undertake that project. Thanks for your input!

They all poke holes in things and don't do great against intermediate barriers.

Pick the system that is most reliable, that you will train with, and that you are most accurate with.

Problem solved....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List