Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pat Rogers Memorial Revolver Round Up - 2024

Just registered—sounds like great fun and training!

The revolver I carry the most is a J-frame, so I’ll definitely bring it. I also have a couple of Model 64s and a 4” GP100. The sights are definitely better on the GP. Would there be any benefit to the K-frames vs. the GP?

Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    Just registered—sounds like great fun and training!

The revolver I carry the most is a J-frame, so I’ll definitely bring it. I also have a couple of Model 64s and a 4” GP100. The sights are definitely better on the GP. Would there be any benefit to the K-frames vs. the GP?

Replying to myself to add:

I think I've answered my own question: The K frames are more similar to the J than is the GP, so I'll plan on using one of those.

Site Supporter
    Replying to myself to add:

I think I've answered my own question: The K frames are more similar to the J than is the GP, so I'll plan on using one of those.
    It really depends what blocks you sign up for. I used a 649 and a GP100 and was happy to have the better sights for
    Bruce Cartwright‘s block where we shot the FBI bullseye course.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    It really depends what blocks you sign up for. I used a 649 and a GP100 and was happy to have the better sights for
    That's helpful, thanks! I will look forward to seeing the options, and will likely just bring both anyway. Now I need a decent holster for my GP...

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    Sharps 54 and Dog Caller:

Bring two guns if possible. A snub for snub dedicated courses and an adjustable sighted 4 inch service revolver for non-snub type courses. I had a few studs shoot my bullseye course with a J frame, but in reality, a bigger gun gets you more training value. Also, be sure the gun is sighted in for the ammo you are shooting. Hope that helps.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Speedloader Loading Question

I'm switching from HKS to Safariland reloaders. I find the COMP series to be easier/faster to use, but more difficult to load. I don't currently own a loading block and am wondering if the rotations will be fast enough that it would be important for me to get one? I'm funding the trip for my son and myself, so cost is an issue, though this is not a deal-breaker -- I'd rather buy it than be fumbling or holding up the line.

Relatedly, how many speed loaders do you recommend? I'm bringing a K frame and a GP100, so will need to bring enough for each frame size. Thanks!

Site Supporter
    I’m not going, but definitely get the loading block, it makes things so much easier. I’ve got them for K, L, and N frames and would have one for J frames if they made them.

The loading blocks hold rounds for 14 speedloaders, so I’d have at least that many.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

I somehow ended up with 2 of the loading blocks. I cut 4 positions off the end of a block and now I have a compact loading block for 4 speedloaders that will easily fit in my shooting bag.

I'm switching from HKS to Safariland reloaders. I find the COMP series to be easier/faster to use, but more difficult to load. I don't currently own a loading block and am wondering if the rotations will be fast enough that it would be important for me to get one? I'm funding the trip for my son and myself, so cost is an issue, though this is not a deal-breaker -- I'd rather buy it than be fumbling or holding up the line.

Relatedly, how many speed loaders do you recommend? I'm bringing a K frame and a GP100, so will need to bring enough for each frame size. Thanks!
    Dogcaller:

A couple of thoughts.

First, while I am always of a mind that "more" is better, realistically if you and your son each have two (2) Safariland Comp IIs or IIIs, you should be fine and not slow down the line. I know I set up my training drills to generally never require more than two reloads. If you have a couple of extra bucks, get three (3) loaders each and you should be all set. I also greatly appreciate your desire to not slow down the line.

Second, Comp IIIs are easier to refill with loose ammo in my experience. Comp IIs take a bit of practice. One of my dry fire routines involves 10 double action trigger presses Support Hand (Left) and 10 double action trigger presses Strong Hand (Right) and in-between I conduct a transition drill between each hand. At the end of that drill, I practice a speed load with a Comp III filled with wadcutters. I repeat that process 5 times. After you start doing something like that the loaders tend to break in and refilling them becomes pretty easy. In refilling Comp IIs, I typically invert the loader, insert rounds into the loader, then cup my left hand over the loader to ensure the rounds remain fully seated and twist/push the center knob with my right hand. I have done it so many times it has become second nature to me. I don't have a reason for a loading block, but that's me. Some folks really like them. Look me up at this year's round up and I'll demonstrate it for you.

Third, a small belt pouch (Gunsite Proshop sells them for $45 each) that you can dump live, loose rounds and empty loaders in makes lots of sense, especially if you don't wear a vest or concealing garment. Worst case scenario, do what I was taught to do when I matriculated at our academy-dump a box of live ammo in my right front trouser pocket and refill your loaders and do administrative loads from there.

Hopefully that answers your questions. Sound off if I missed something. I am looking forward to meeting you and your son. Safe travels!

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    Dogcaller:

A couple of thoughts.

First, while I am always of a mind that "more" is better, realistically if you and your son each have two (2) Safariland Comp IIs or IIIs, you should be fine and not slow down the line. I know I set up my training drills to generally never require more than two reloads. If you have a couple of extra bucks, get three (3) loaders each and you should be all set. I also greatly appreciate your desire to not slow down the line.

Second, Comp IIIs are easier to refill with loose ammo in my experience. Comp IIs take a bit of practice. One of my dry fire routines involves 10 double action trigger presses Support Hand (Left) and 10 double action trigger presses Strong Hand (Right) and in-between I conduct a transition drill between each hand. At the end of that drill, I practice a speed load with a Comp III filled with wadcutters. I repeat that process 5 times. After you start doing something like that the loaders tend to break in and refilling them becomes pretty easy. In refilling Comp IIs, I typically invert the loader, insert rounds into the loader, then cup my left hand over the loader to ensure the rounds remain fully seated and twist/push the center knob with my right hand. I have done it so many times it has become second nature to me. I don't have a reason for a loading block, but that's me. Some folks really like them. Look me up at this year's round up and I'll demonstrate it for you.

Third, a small belt pouch (Gunsite Proshop sells them for $45 each) that you can dump live, loose rounds and empty loaders in makes lots of sense, especially if you don't wear a vest or concealing garment. Worst case scenario, do what I was taught to do when I matriculated at our academy-dump a box of live ammo in my right front trouser pocket and refill your loaders and do administrative loads from there.

Hopefully that answers your questions. Sound off if I missed something. I am looking forward to meeting you and your son. Safe travels!

Bruce
    Very helpful, thanks, Bruce. Well each have at least 3 Comp2s and a couple HKS for backup. Staying away from the Comp3s mainly because I don’t see myself using them outside of competition, whereas the 2s are practical. Also, that would require new pouches, and I don’t think the juice is worth the squeeze. We both have dump pouches so will definitely bring them. Will definitely hit you up when we get there. My “boy” (24 yrs, ex-Marine) is a southpaw so he does everything wrong handed. I’ve been sharing my best thinking re: reloads, but will be glad to have someone share proper technique.

Thanks!

User Tag List