Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Agencies dropping Stacatto?

Series 80 is not compatible with any 1911/2011 RDS mounting system. If drop thing is something that STI needs to fx now and they wish to remain optic-capable, their only option is titanium pins, with a potential compromise in ignition reliability.
    I'm kinda amused at all these efforts to push a 100+ year old design into 21st century duty role despite its limitations, but I'd better stay in my lane.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    I have put multiple thousands of rounds through a series 1 Kimber both before and after switching to a titanium firing pin and extra power firing pin spring. Ignition reliability remained 100% after making this change. I change the firing pin spring every time I change the recoil spring, which is any time I find the recoil spring 3 coils shorter than a new spring.

I recommend the titanium firing pin and extra power spring for anyone running a series 70 1911.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Series 80 is not compatible with any 1911/2011 RDS mounting system. If drop thing is something that STI needs to fx now and they wish to remain optic-capable, their only option is titanium pins, with a potential compromise in ignition reliability.
    I'm kinda amused at all these efforts to push a 100+ year old design into 21st century duty role despite its limitations, but I'd better stay in my lane.

Between RDS or a FPS, I'll take the latter. Most people drop more guns than they encounter a situation where the RDS will make the difference.

Here is the test I spoke of earlier.

http://dave2.freeshell.org/1911/drop1/drop1.htm

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Between RDS or a FPS, I'll take the latter. Most people drop more guns than they encounter a situation where the RDS will make the difference.

Here is the test I spoke of earlier.

http://dave2.freeshell.org/1911/drop1/drop1.htm
    10 feet onto concrete? It would be interesting to see some FPS equipped guns run through that test.

Site Supporter
    Dumb question, a Stacatto is a series 70, not an 80?

This is a couple years old but Staccato says they'd never failed a drop test.

https://www.police1.com/police-produ...jGicCEEmjtTkS/

This too says the guns have proven to be safe through various tests.

Oops. I see this test linked above: I think it was Hilton Yam on his long gone 10-8 Forums did some drop tests and found that a 1911 dropped on its muzzle will fire but not 100% of the time. Of course that also depends on the height of the drop.

Titanium firing pins and stronger springs are pretty much the easy button to help prevent this. Ruger, Springfield Armory and probably a number of other 1911 manufacturers have been using titanium pins for decades. Guns so equipped still might fire if the height is great enough but such a height isn't something your average person would have to worry about.

Series 80 is pretty much the only way to go for an active firing pin block. The system is reliable and as HCM notes the trigger can still be quite exceptional even with the extra parts. Maybe never two pounds exceptional but certainly good for defense.

Kimber has their own version that runs off the grip safety. The theory seems sound but parts timing and shooter grip may sometimes not fully release the firing pin. Oops!

If I was carrying a Staccato now and had concerns I'd probably just buy a titanium pin from Wilson Combat or whoever and stick a Wolff spring with it.

Interestingly the Turkish 2011 clone I recently purchased goes not have a lightweight firing pin.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Dumb question, a Stacatto is a series 70, not an 80?
    Yep. S70 with standard weight firing pin

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    10 feet onto concrete? It would be interesting to see some FPS equipped guns run through that test.

I think I missed the point of your post. lol

My initial response was "off".

They didn't have to drop them all that far to have the gun go off. I would like a Ruger LW 1911, but they are simply not drop safe, and I refuse to carry such a gun. Those with more experience than I have, and with better training, often choose differently.

Another topic is muzzle up drop safety. A 1911 with an active grip safety should be quite safe if dropped muzzle up because the grip safety blocks rearward movement of the trigger bar. Add in a thumb safety that blocks sear movement and the gun should be doubly protected from impacts that may otherwise jar the trigger and/or sear.

I do have to wonder about the recent trend (actually an old trend made new by all the 2011s) of pinning the grip safety. Drop a pistol muzzle up with the safety off and any safety feature that blocks movement is now gone.

Some guns like Atlas and the new Oracle 2311 have no grip safety at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Another topic is muzzle up drop safety. A 1911 with an active grip safety should be quite safe if dropped muzzle up because the grip safety blocks rearward movement of the trigger bar. Add in a thumb safety that blocks sear movement and the gun should be doubly protected from impacts that may otherwise jar the trigger and/or sear.

I do have to wonder about the recent trend (actually an old trend made new by all the 2011s) of pinning the grip safety. Drop a pistol muzzle up with the safety off and any safety feature that blocks movement is now gone.

Some guns like Atlas and the new Oracle 2311 have no grip safety at all.

I would suspect that a properly working trigger system would find the half cock notch catching the hammer before firing.

Langdon did a test drooping a cocked 92 and the half cock notch prevented ignition in his test.

User Tag List