Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock G23 Gen5 Arrives And Is Equipped

Glock G23 Gen5 Arrives And Is Equipped

My GSSF-winnings arrived-I chose a basic G23 Gen5 non-MOS. I'm still back-and-forth on the RDS thing, and I figure that if I do decide to go the MOS route on this gun, I'd likely go with the Leupold DeltaPoint Micro anyhow, which simply requires drifting out the rear sight and replacing with the DPM, but in the meantime I'll stick with irons.

Out of the box, the gun exhibited a very nice rolling triggerpull break. Interestingly, the OEM rear polymer sight was a 6.1 height; I had previously thought that for the Gen5 G23 Glock had standardized on the higher 6.5 rear. A discussion with Glock Technical Support revealed that each individual Glock is evaluated for the best sight height for each specific gun during the manufacturing/assembly process, and apparently mine achieved the best POA/POI with the lower 6.1 height. The OEM polymer one was immediately replaced with a 6.1 Glock tritium, which by its markings and appearance I believe to be Meprolights, which is fine by me for both day and low-level light use; I've been pleased with them on my HKs.

I like the Glock Medium beavertail grip strap, and I concurrently ordered the LTT/Booth Grip Anchor for use with it, and immediately installed both. Both components provide a tangible improvement in feel, index and recoil absorption, as well as mitigating against muzzle flip.

I've always liked the Glock Extended Slide Release, and I'm glad that there is one available for Gen5 Glocks. I also added the Glock Extended Magazine Catch, which is slightly more protrusive that the very nice OEM one. The extension is less that the difference between the Gen 1-3 extended part, but the additional amount is appreciated, and it doesn't appear to adversely impinge against the side of holsters.

The gun was cleaned and lubricated. For lubrication of components with metal-on-metal reciprocation, I used Mil-Comm's TW25B, and for general lubing I use Lucas Extreme Gun Oil. For the critical connector/triggerbar interface surfaces, I applied Lucas Red "N" Tacky #2 grease.

I've noticed that the very first removal of the Trigger Pin on Gen5 Glocks seems to be exceptionally difficult when attempting to drift out from left to right, even when pressing down on the slide release lever as specified in the Armorers Manual. The first removal of the trigger pin is much simpler if you drift the pin from right to left, and from then on remove from the left to right, and reassemble from right to left.

I needed to drift my rear sight to the right, as when zeroing it was evident that it was shooting some 2" to the left. I also noted that shots grouped at the 6 o'clock region of the 2"x3" zeroing gridded tombstone target that I was using when zeroing at 5-10 yards; before replacing with a higher 6.5 rear sight, I'm going to run it as it currently is in an IDPA match and see how things go, reconfirming POA/POI (or discerning disparities in POI from POA...)

The increased slide thickness precludes use with any of my existing Gen1-Gen4 holsters, but I have two Tagua 1836 leather holsters which work nicely and accommodate the increased slide thickness. Tagua is Paraguayan produced, and I've been impressed with them in the ones that I'm testing and evaluation so far. I've also found that holsters for a G21 will work, but the Tagua 1836 holsters seem to be the best fit so far. The IWB one has removable steel spring clips which work fairly well, but you need to ensure that the belt used is thick enough to enable the spring clips to have enough retentive bite. If the spring clips are removed, the holster has belt slots, so it becomes an OWB holster.

My natural index with the gun as equipped seems excellent; we'll see how it (or probably more correctly, I) do with it in use this weekend. Interestingly, mine is a "Made in Georgia" example, with Georgia state outline proofs on the barrel, slide and receiver, and a "USA" rollmarking on the left side slide banner. The nDLC semi-matte finish quality seems excellent; appearing durable and very evenly applied. Since I'm in Washington, I'm only allowed to be provided 10 round magazines, but the OEM orange-followered Gen5 magazines seem excellent, and can be easily fully loaded without having to resort to my Uplula, but I'm probably use the Uplula for my normal stoking of the magazines.

As I mentioned in my previous thread on my decision process, GJM's and others endorsement of the Gen5 G23 was an important factor in my decision process. I think it'll be an excellent platform, and I'll update with further use.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 11-14-2023 at 04:15 PM.
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

I have one of these also and really like it. One thing, my first range session I put several hundred rounds through it…..it got unbelievably HOT. I showed it to the range employee and he was also shocked at how hot it was. I haven’t experienced this with any other Glocks I’ve had experience with.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    I have one of these also and really like it. One thing, my first range session I put several hundred rounds through it…..it got unbelievably HOT. I showed it to the range employee and he was also shocked at how hot it was. I haven’t experienced this with any other Glocks I’ve had experience with.
    Been a thing with the Gen 5 pistols, and their different finish, as reported on PF for a number of years.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Great choice Jon. I used my GSSF coupon for one in early 2021 and have been more than pleased with mine. Thankfully JMCK is making holsters for them. Recently found a PD trade lightly used version for under $400 and snapped it up like a fat kid going for a cookie. I still reload 40 and have a mountain of factory ammo. I am amazed at how a few more ounces in the slide and whatever they did to the recoil spring has changed the shooting experience for G23 and G22 gen 5.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

I am not certain that the G20 offers appreciably more as a field pistol than a G5 23, considering the ergos and shootability of the 23.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    A discussion with Glock Technical Support revealed that each individual Glock is evaluated for the best sight height for each specific gun during the manufacturing/assembly process, and apparently mine achieved the best POA/POI with the lower 6.1 height.
    ...seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    ...seriously?
    Yep. I confirmed it yesterday from another source; Glock apparently began doing it subsequent to the introduction of the G42/G43 series, and it spread to the other platforms. Apparently it's done during the testfire/proofing stage of manufacture.

Now with my sample size of one I'll get to see how good the process actually is....

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Nice, a 40 caliber with irons. Someone still knows how to have fun.

Vending Machine Operator
    I have one of these on my list since I have ended up really enjoying my G22 Gen 5. Interested to hear how you like it over time.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am not certain that the G20 offers appreciably more as a field pistol than a G5 23, considering the ergos and shootability of the 23.
    That is a very interesting statement based on all the field trials, shooting you have done.

User Tag List