Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Current Threats You Should Be Avoiding-Gorillafritz

@BehindBlueI's

I agree with your points, and at the same time I agree with Ellifritz's

As far as Ellifritz's point - as a family man my family comes first. If I get involved in something that reduces the chances of my ability to care for my family, I don't want to be involved. Once they're grown up and moved on, my importance as dad is lessened.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Site Supporter
    Not going to argue with your decisions. I'm pointing out what enters many decisions.

1. The military, police, etc. response is clearly in the principle of Evaluating Group Survival. That overrides personal survival.
    2. While one person may not suffer from psychological trauma, studies show about 30% may. To each is own.

I know from some FOF event AARs and scenario survey that when faced with a save a woman being beaten in a garage, about 50% of highly skilled people (defined as civilians, not law) just observed rather than intervene.

One factor to explain Eli and others (like the TX churck interventions, Colorado church) is the immediacy of the action. As I mentioned when faced with the event in front of them, folks are more prone to act. Greg is talking about situations where there is a gap between you and truly immediate action - giving the person time to think about escape as more viable.

To each his own. I'm just evaluating what goes on in such, from a process perspective.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

It’s good advice for mob type situations.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Site Supporter
    It seems to me that Greg is talking about a very specific type of mass shooting involving indiscriminate retribution, often gang related, and BBI is talking about the more well known type of mass shooting as seen in malls, schools, etc?

I didn’t read that Greg was advocating for never acting. I think he is advocating for being very sure of the situation that you are reacting to. The concept of being willing to take a stand against unmitigated evil in the form of, say, an active shooter, and being unwilling to get involved in deadly tribal/monkey dance shit are not mutually exclusive. It’s going to take real perception to know the difference in the fog of the decades to come. JMO, OMMV, etc.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    It seems to me that Greg is talking about a very specific type of mass shooting involving indiscriminate retribution, often gang related, and BBI is talking about the more well known type of mass shooting as seen in malls, schools, etc?
    Looks that way to me, yes. I’m just one guy on the ‘net, but I think they’re both right.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I see ambiguity as the problem. Middle of Times Square, take cover. In a situation where your friends, neighbors and coworkers are being harmed, take action.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Side bar:

If the general advice is self-preservation above all, how do you in good faith expect people to be soldiers, cops, firemen, etc? There's a non-zero chance you'll get killed/maimed/radically fucked up for no personal gain so that some stranger may do better. That stranger may be a turd.

Keep pounding 'me first no matter what' and keep bitching about why society is the way it is. Keep wondering why you've raised a generation of pussies while pounding how dangerous everything is if you try to do the right thing. For God and Country? Fuck that, it's old and busted. God is dead, obviously. Your mortal life and wellbeing is the most important thing because you're just that fucking special. Why is everyone such a self centered twat? I'm not the only one seeing the disconnect here right?
    Thank you. Beat me to it. While I totally understand the hesitancy most people have with engaging in these crazy times....where our so called justice system in many jurisdictions seems hell-bent on increasing crime and disorder, the widespread adoption of this advice leads literally to the end of civilization. You think assholes and crooks are hard to deal with? Wait till the barbarian hordes are pillaging the countryside. At this rate, on this trajectory, we're only a few years from that.

Coming from someone who got stranded in a mud hole out in the middle of BFE. I fail to see why anybody worships some of these self anointed experts in all topics they choose to write about.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Remember Eli stopping a mass shooting at the Greenwood Mall in Indiana?
    Greg’s post said absolutely nothing about mass shootings/active shooters, as even a cursory read-through would have revealed.

It was talking about dudes with beef shooting at other dudes with beef, maybe with said other dudes with beef returning fire. I fail to see how me jumping in as a third leg of a ballistic love triangle between Ice Dog and Ray-Ray is going to improve the situation for myself or society in general.

Then again, I tend to avoid places where alcohol-fueled dustups happen these days.
    Last edited by Tamara; 11-03-2023 at 01:16 PM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List