Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Current Threats You Should Be Avoiding-Gorillafritz

Current Threats You Should Be Avoiding-Gorillafritz

Current Threats You Should Be Avoiding

My biggest fear is that one of my readers will stumble into one of these protests or be in the area where one of the many mass shootings pops off. I worry that my readers will follow their training and draw their firearm to deal with a potential lethal force threat they perceive. That’s a losing proposition.

You off-duty cops and legally armed citizens have exactly one role in this situation: Make sure you and your family/friends don’t get shot. That’s it. End of lesson.

If I were to hear shots nearby, I would immediately get down on the ground or behind cover. I would assess where the shots are coming from and plan a path of retreat in the opposite direction, ideally moving between large pieces of cover as I make my escape. That’s it. There is absolutely nothing else you should do. Don’t draw your gun and attempt to shoot the “bad guy” here.

And you don’t have to “be a good witness” either. If these jackasses get arrested, do you want them getting you and your family’s names, addresses, places of employment, and phone numbers? As soon as their court appointed attorney files for discovery, all of that information goes directly to them. Now you’ve become an active player in their game. And in that game, they don’t care about the same rules you do.

Don’t involve yourself in this stupidity. It will only harm you in the long term. If you intervene, you will either get shot by the thugs, shot by the cops, sued by the person you shoot, or arrested. If that doesn’t happen and you make a statement to the cops you take the chance of being hunted down by the arrested party’s crew at a future date before trial.

Say it again with me: “Not your people, not your problem.”
    Tam had some commentary on the article at her spot:

But also there's more of an edge to the altercations of late. Oh, sure, we used to be able to count on Sumdood getting affronted in the crowd outside The Vogue once every couple years and trying to settle his grudge by whipping out his popper and getting to popping, but those were very infrequent.

The frequency is increasing, though, and since Dracos, 'stendos, and switches are fashion accessories amongst the wannabe banger crowd now, there tend to be a lot more "to whom it may concern" projectiles in the air.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I’m with Greg.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I loves me some Ellifritz, but that dumbshit went to Burning Man on a first date to get some poon. God love him. He's right, but he's also a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    I loves me some Ellifritz, but that dumbshit went to Burning Man on a first date to get some poon. God love him. He's right, but he's also a moron.
    Some people go through life never understanding risk and on occasion it bites them in the ass. Other people, such as Greg, understands the risk and goes and live life anyways instead of being afraid. They just take sensible precautions and uses awareness to mitigate the risk.

It's a sad commentary on the current state of affairs, (which has been the current state of affairs for some time)...but it is very good, practical and honest advice.

(I hope I take it myself in order to overcome an innate tendency to want to be "helpful" in such circumstances.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

He’s not wrong, but there was a time in American culture when a message like this would have been anathema to right thinking people. Another Country.

Site Supporter
    Pro social behavior is complex but sometimes people make it simple - of course, I couldn't live with myself, what is the country coming to, etc.?

Lots of factors go into the decision to help, some cognitive and slow, some more emotionally reactive. A good readable review is:

Dovidio, J. F., Piliavin, J. A., Schroeder, D. A., & Penner, L., (2006). The social psychology of pro-social behavior. Mahwah, NJ, : Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Publishers.

Here's a slide from lectures in my intro teaching days:

Name:  prosocial.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  65.4 KB

Also, the speed of having to make a decision influences the effects of each factor. Slow risk avoidance, fast jumping in.

As far as I can't live with myself, there are good therapies for such. You can live with yourself.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Remember Eli stopping a mass shooting at the Greenwood Mall in Indiana? Some hillbilly kid with a ragged-ass Glock killed a emotionally deranged rifleman mowing down people in a food court? I do.

I'm sure I'm not alone here in that I've endangered myself for stupider reasons than saving innocent lives. I do, perhaps, have the advantage of knowing *exactly* how I react in an active shooter incident and it sure as fuck wasn't to leave. You do what you can sleep with at night, but for me you can take all that advice and shove it up your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Pro social behavior is complex but sometimes people make it simple - of course, I couldn't live with myself, what is the country coming to, etc.?
    It absolutely is that simple. I can, and do, live just fine with shooting some asshole who needed shot because he was shooting people who didn't need to be shot. I didn't need therapy or to work anything out. I just needed some time to readjust to the mundane non-adrenaline filled 'normal life'. I am, to this day, carrying a burden about children in distress I was unable to help. I don't think I'm particularly unique in this regard.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Side bar:

If the general advice is self-preservation above all, how do you in good faith expect people to be soldiers, cops, firemen, etc? There's a non-zero chance you'll get killed/maimed/radically fucked up for no personal gain so that some stranger may do better. That stranger may be a turd.

Keep pounding 'me first no matter what' and keep bitching about why society is the way it is. Keep wondering why you've raised a generation of pussies while pounding how dangerous everything is if you try to do the right thing. For God and Country? Fuck that, it's old and busted. God is dead, obviously. Your mortal life and wellbeing is the most important thing because you're just that fucking special. Why is everyone such a self centered twat? I'm not the only one seeing the disconnect here right?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Just when I was trying to put that (prevailing) side of my personality out to pasture...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List