Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun safe recommendations

Gun safe recommendations

I am looking to upgrade from a Home Depot gun locker to an actual safe. I am hoping to spend no more than $1000 on a safe. Please give me some suggestions on what to look for, what to avoid and whether or not my price point is realistic for a decent safe.

Thanks very much.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

My fairly recent experience indicates you can get a decent upgraded strongbox/locker that looks like a safe for that kind of money, but a true safe will be several times that.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    My fairly recent experience indicates you can get a decent upgraded strongbox/locker that looks like a safe for that kind of money, but a true safe will be several times that.
    Yep, that’s a “residential security container” price point.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Did you wind up making a purchase? If so, what did you buy?
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

What are you looking for? I mean, honestly?

If you want something that looks like a safe because it's cool or you like the arrangement options, there's more than you can swing a stick at. If you want more security, that's not happening for under a grand. They're all relatively thin sheet metal at that price point, just like your gun locker. The difference is the sheet metal is wrapped around wallboard to give it the illusion of being thick.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

This is an average $1k RSC these days.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/libe...on-18-gun-safe

I have an older version that I got on sale for around $400. 18 guns is ridiculously optimistic unless they are all pistols. 6 rifles is a more realistic count. The 14 gauge steel will be zipped through easily by any angle grinder. The lock only actuates 3 bolts on the non hinge side. The ones on the hinge side are fixed. It hinges on the outside. The one saving grace is that it has a S&G mechanical lock (although it's a cheaper model).

I bought it only because it was on sale, I needed a small safe for the overflow from my big safe and I was able to remove the door (external hinges) and use a hand cart to easily get it in the house.

It is a step up from the StackOn crap but not much of one.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

There is a lot of hype around this and that feature when it comes to safes. If you really want the skinny, talk to locksmiths and fire insurance adjusters……. They will cure your urge to buy a “safe”.

Lots of decent options for beefy gun and valuables storage containers, and certainly “safe” is the term in colloquial use, but there are safes, and there are Safes. Anything in the former category is so in name only.

For zero fire protection (of any note anyway) and 30 man minute door (a trained and properly equipped professional would need approximately 30 minutes with manual, mechanical, or thermal tools to gain entry) for my vault ran just under $4k delivered to the end of my driveway and dropped on a pallet. It was another $2k for installation.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Odin Bravo One View Post
    There is a lot of hype around this and that feature when it comes to safes. If you really want the skinny, talk to locksmiths and fire insurance adjusters……. They will cure your urge to buy a “safe”.

Lots of decent options for beefy gun and valuables storage containers, and certainly “safe” is the term in colloquial use, but there are safes, and there are Safes. Anything in the former category is so in name only.

For zero fire protection (of any note anyway) and 30 man minute door (a trained and properly equipped professional would need approximately 30 minutes with manual, mechanical, or thermal tools to gain entry) for my vault ran just under $4k delivered to the end of my driveway and dropped on a pallet. It was another $2k for installation.
    Where on earth did you get a TL-30 vault door for $4k? Even a Brown B-Rate 8030 is over $5k, and that's several steps below a TL-30.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

There will be shipping charges, but have you considered used gun safes?
    https://www.lackasafe.com/categories/gun-safes

Duces

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
    Did you wind up making a purchase? If so, what did you buy?
    Mine is similar to gringop’s, my biggest risk was childproofing.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List