Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CZ ND observed today

How does a safety factor into this both from a sporting and bedside/defensive perspective.

Seems like most SFA pistols would be a bigger problem. i think a standard DA pull could be overcome by panic grasp not just lighter trigger competition guns.

My bedside gun is a DAO, but it is still in a holster.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

If my pistol isn't in a holster, regardless of action style or whether it has a thumb safety, it is condition 3.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If my pistol isn't in a holster, regardless of action style or whether it has a thumb safety, it is condition 3.
    My only exception to this is the 1911's and BHP that are only carried in leather don't get stored in leather. They get stored in the pistol safe sans holster, unlike the ones with Kydex holsters.
    But they all are condition 3 or empty for transport.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Different places, different spaces…

There are US jurisdictions where a safe is mandated by law. Similarly, organizations may have directives; it’s a good idea for young cops with kids. Sadly, I’ve been around a couple of situations where a small child accessed a weapon with tragic results.
    Situationally dependent with me. I’m with @GJM; if the piece comes off, the chamber is emptied, unless it goes to long term storage. I have had a chambered round in a hotel room(gun in holster) if the neighborhood seemed sketchy.
    YMMV. One think I have noticed with US Special Operations veterans, is that they are compulsive about double or triple checking a weapon(empty chamber)if they’re handling in an office. That’s because, as I understand it, they got “fired” if they “ND’d” in training.
    I try to emulate that.

Edit to add: glad all ok, @GJM! An ND can get your attention!

I have personally witnessed three (3) ND's of pistols which were picked up off a table as part of a "table start" in competitive shooting matches over a period of many years.

In all three cases, the shooter attempted to pick up the gun with only the strong hand vs. using the support hand to assist with the pick-up.

In all three cases, the pistols were striker fired with no thumb safety.

In all three cases, the shooters were well- experienced shooters and competitors with demonstrated track records of safe gun handling skills.

Fortunately, no injuries occurred in any of the three described events.

Shane (1953)

Shane: A gun is a tool, Marion, no better or no worse than any other tool, an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Something to consider for all those who have a bedside gun at night, not in a holster. Because then you add picking up the gun in the dark in some cases. Seeing this happen several times in matches, on the table or even worse on the shefl below the table (a prop we used to have) is what drove me to having a fixed holster with a thumb snap near the bed for that purpose.
    Good point! Those minimalist Kydex trigger guards available from a variety of sources are ideal for bedside use.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    I have personally witnessed three (3) ND's of pistols which were picked up off a table as part of a "table start" in competitive shooting matches over a period of many years.

In all three cases, the shooter attempted to pick up the gun with only the strong hand vs. using the support hand to assist with the pick-up.

In all three cases, the pistols were striker fired with no thumb safety.

In all three cases, the shooters were well- experienced shooters and competitors with demonstrated track records of safe gun handling skills.

Fortunately, no injuries occurred in any of the three described events.

Shane (1953)

Shane: A gun is a tool, Marion, no better or no worse than any other tool, an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.
    Another related issue is when the "table" starts use the top of a polymer 55gal barrel as the table without affixing a box, a piece of carpet, a pad, or something else for the pistol to rest. If the shooter bumps the barrel as they reach for their gun (which happens a lot when people are trying to go fast), it's surprisingly easy for the gun to slide off of the barrel. Aside from obvious safety issues, that usually also results in an avoidable disqualification.

I've only shot a few IDPA matches, but why have a completely unrealistic loaded gun table start: empty gun adjacent mag would at least be realistic. And the mag release on both my Staccatos is long enough that a loaded table start would no doubt release the mag.

Quote Originally Posted by rhino on INGO View Post
    Did he do a one-handed pickup, or did he use his support hand to lift/lever the gun into his firing hand? I've been present for a significant number of NDs with the former, and zero with the latter. It's slower, but better risk management in my opinion.
    I never do single hand pickups, my reasoning being that it is impossible for me to get a proper grip on the pistol without something to support the gun while I grip it.

Now I have an additional, much better reason to keep doing that!

User Tag List