Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The SKS thread

Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    Attachment 115965

I'm this old
    I'm just a few years younger than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

These rifles benefit from a trigger job

It is mentioned above that these rifles sometimes have a problem with the firing pin sticking, resulting in slam fires. There is available a retro-fit firing pin retraction system. Only the very early Russian SKS rifles have a retraction system for the firing pin. My experience with SKS and AK rifles, using really hard, insensitive primers for reloading is a good thing, even if you have a firing pin retraction spring. https://murraysguns.com/sks-firing-pins/

A gun club I am active in, used to hold AK & SKS rifle matches, at 200 yards. The SKS always shot better than the AK for me, especially after a trigger job. There may be lots of people doing such, but the guy I had do work for me is:
    https://www.kivaari.com/SKS%20Target%20Match.htm

Being 6'-4", the stocks are way too short, so I typically put an extension on the butt.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I had one of the new made chinese sks when they imported them as sporters with no bayonet, the example I had made a 7/8" group of 3 off the hood of the truck at 100 long paces when checking zero. I like the guns in general and would like to have another clean one for cheap plinking and multi-state travel.

The first one I ever saw, before they started importing them to sell was reportedly a Viet Nam pickup/bring home. The stock looked like it was made from a board, the outside of the gun was heavily pitted and rusted, then cleaned up. The bore was perfect due to being hard chrome plated. The story was it was found in a canal, the stock had rotted off it. Someone had in fact made the stock from a board. This would be maybe early-ish 1980s when i saw it?

The stocks are a bit short, the sights are mediocre, the safety is so-so, but they are a simple and fairly reliable gun, and reload easily with only stripper clips. I understand the feeling they are better made than an AK, being a milled receiver rather than stamped sheet metal as most aks are, and I like the longer barrel for less muzzle blast. They carry decently in hand. A decent red dot mount would go a long ways to making them more useful, but they still have a usable niche to me as is.
    I sold mine because I could outshoot it with slugs in my Win 1300 with smoothbore and bead, but that was a good gun with slugs.

If the Techsight had been available/known to me I would have kept the SKS https://www.tech-sights.com/sks-products/

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    My uncle was a Vietnam vet that collected guns. Because of his experience there he had an extreme distaste for the AR-15 platform. I tried once 20 some years ago to tell him things are different but he was having none of it.

But he spoke highly of the AK-47 and SKS. He felt compelled to buy any reasonably priced Winchester 1887 or SKS he saw at a gun show. Don't know why he wasn't into collecting the AK pattern guns, he was only really ino SKSs, 30-30 lever guns and 1911s. So he has maybe a dozen SKSs.

There's a photo of me from the late 80s when I was like 9 holding an SKS. I had "tricked" him into letting me hold one by asking if it was heavy.

He wasn't much of a shooter though so I never really shot one until I was in my mid 20s. I wonder if I can scrounge that up somewhere.
    I've had an AK and SKS don't miss the AK do miss the SKS.

Don't know if I can fully articulate why but I like leverguns and SKS like your uncle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    I've had an AK and SKS don't miss the AK do miss the SKS.

Don't know if I can fully articulate why but I like leverguns and SKS like your uncle.
    I wouldn't say I miss having an AK, but I do want another one day just because I'm a child of the 70s and 80s and they held an almost mystical appeal to a young gun crank. Making my way though the AK world with AWB-era MAK90s, an NHM91, multiple SAR1s and a SAR2 somehow didn't really break that appeal.

I grew up with a Win 94 .30-30 so leverguns will always be .
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

If anyone wants to know the history and mechanics of the SKS.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List