Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Norovirus in a wilderness setting

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Besides a wilderness setting, the article suggest obvious risks at shooting competitions, and other venues with porta-potties, where there isn't running water and soap.
    I keep a bottle of the green bio-degradeable "camp soap" in my truck door, and try to always have some clean water available, bottles or otherwise. I don't drink out of a bottle used for hand washing. I also keep some blue "shop towel" type paper towels in my truck for drying hands. It's been very handy over the years, especially with kids that like to dig around in the dirt and rocks at every camp site, or pit stop. It's been used after porta-potties at various venues too.

I keep a small bottle of the same soap in my hunting pack, and always try to have some water in reserve, specifically for cleaning up after field dressing, that I wont drink out of.

A few years back, we had a large church group come to PNG for a visit to one of our more remote locations- about 20 if I remember- a large enough group that we needed to charter MAF's Twin Otter.
    And at this location, there were two families, each with a house that had one bathroom each.

Then noro happened. Happily, I was not there with them... but I did catch it when I picked them up. From all reports they did not have a good time.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    I got some miles under me from back in the day.

The high use of privies on the AT, I can see more Noro out there.

I have rolled by large groups sharing trail mix out of a single gallon zip lock, hey you want some? No thank you.

I remember my year a bunch of folks got hammered coming out of Quincy, CA. Maybe water, maybe Noro, maybe something else.

Hygiene is a thing.

Site Supporter
    I guess those germ killing package wipes don't work? I have a plastic bottle of them in the car which I use at matches and some packs. Lysol says it kills 99% of germs and viruses.

I do think a problem with many ranges is that the cans are vile! It's a deterrent to women, I've been told. The newer indoor ranges have decent multistall johns but the old ones are one holers for stinky old men.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I do think a problem with many ranges is that the cans are vile! It's a deterrent to women, I've been told. The newer indoor ranges have decent multistall johns but the old ones are one holers for stinky old men.
    An increasingly indoor-population has higher expectations, and access to toilet facilities shows up in many outdoor ed and activity surveys. The days of telling students to pee at the berm or treeline are done. It's not often a determining factor at enrollment, but can be in a return.

Noro in the woods is miserable and can be a trip-ender but is prevented and managed like other flu/GI illness.

Common water filters (sawyer mini, lifestraw, etc) people are using don't handle viruses, products are available that do. Necessity and advisability depend on location of travel.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I guess those germ killing package wipes don't work? I have a plastic bottle of them in the car which I use at matches and some packs. Lysol says it kills 99% of germs and viruses.
    Well, you're not suppose to use the Lysol general purpose wipes on your skin to begin with. And no, the active ingredient they use is totally ineffective against noroviruses, even more so than alcohol-based solutions, which at least have mixed efficacy depending on the strain you're dealing with. The 99% claim has clear asterisks that name off what they will kill. Still, the act of wiping any hard surfaces will still help, as it will mechanically remove pathogens.

Site Supporter
    Actually, the car wipes aren't Lysol. I would have to look at the brand but they are alcohol based and made for human use. Funny you say that Lysol isn't for human contact as the liquid was promoted as a douche way back when. Pretty shocking history.

Are there wipes that would kill Noro?

Some ranges had decent rest rooms and I would go to one after shooting and scrub up with soap and water. I also washed my face as read the faces and facial hairs would collect the lead particles and range crap.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Sure, any wipe that uses hydrogen peroxide or bleach as their active ingredient. They'll be harder to find, but they're often used in clinical settings. They're also designed for use on hard, non-porous surfaces, so again, not for your hands. Not just an issue of it being bad for your skin, but also simply that the porosity of your skin decreases the efficacy of their biocidal properties.

The old general ecology first need filter for the win! It's a heavy beast but worth it.
    Last edited by EMC; 09-25-2023 at 04:09 PM.

Name:  IMG_4399.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  28.7 KB

As an aside, a lot of older racetracks and autocross events also have the same hygiene issues that ranges have.

My wife was super happy when we got a small RV with running water and our own toilet. I figured it was a safety thing.
    Last edited by JCN; 09-25-2023 at 06:11 PM.

User Tag List