Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How Perishable is all this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I can't explain this, but I think some people are inordinately stronger than others who have similar muscle mass. I observed examples when working in corrections. Combining such strength with good coordination, endurance, meanness, anger, and stupidity creates a dangerous opponent.

That’s me. I was a scrawny 127 until I was 40, now I’m about 130-135.

I never cared for MMA but I used to do it quite a bit because not many people liked to box and I wanted to spar so sometimes I had to roll around with the MMA guys. I always thought it was a bunch of bullshit.

A peaceful man is capable of great violence, but he keeps it under control. If a man is not capable of violence, he is not peaceful. He is just harmless. (Jordan Peterson)

Possibly John Wayne's best acting job and still a quote that is relevant to the use of deadly force.

Skills degrade, but some quicker than others. I just know that twice in the last year, I've realized that I can still do a shoulder roll fall and come back on my feet, and it has been 4 decades since I trained in Hapkido. Go figure.

I won't speak to practitioners of Jui-Jitsu, as my martial arts background includes different styles and arts.

That said, like with acquired skills in other things in life, it comes down to how well someone was skilled before they took some time off, and how well their bodies can still perform (meaning considering the inevitable influences of aging, injuries, infirmities, etc).

Something else to consider is the needs of the moment, relative to the skill level, strength and amount of mobility remaining on tap ... and then that of your attacker, or attackers (plural).

You spend enough thousands, and then ten's of thousands, of hours putting down the software and crafting the hardware, and 'enough' may remain accessible to be effectively utilized after a layoff. Someone who is only an intermediate student/practitioner of any art may not have reached the point where they've reached an advanced understanding of their art, nor ingrained their technical skills to the level of 'unconscious competence, nor honed the ability and flexibility to apply their mastery of the foundation to evolving, dynamic and chaotic conditions.

How well might you need to be? Well, how skilled and experienced do you think you may need to be? Is your assessment (hope?) based on an accurate understanding of what might happen, and how well your skillset foundation has been put down?

User Tag List