Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is the SA Highpower good yet?

I emailed Mr. Williams recently to ask for his thoughts on the SA-35 and about replacing the factory sights. Here's the reply:

I have a couple of the SA-35’s in the shop right now, and my examination of them is that they’re a well made copy of the original FN/Browning pistol. The early extractor issues seemed to show up after several hundred rounds had been fired, and I suspected then that the issue was with a substandard extractor spring which likely was not properly heat treated and after some use the springs lost some of their tension. The problems seem to have been rectified now and for anyone who is concerned replacing the original spring with a good quality part should solve the problem.

I’n not aware of any aftermarket sights that are straight drop-ins, but sights from Novak, Heinie or others should work, though some machine work and subsequent refinishing would be necessary.

The two I have in the shop now are scheduled for custom work, and if the gun was sub-standard as to quality, I wouldn’t do the work.

Thanks, and hope this helps,

Don Wlliams
    The Action Works

That’s a good endorsement.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Fondled one at my preferred pusher the other day and am mighty tempted. It just came in straight from his distributor so I'm assuming it's a post-7000 serial number.

Does anyone have any current updates about their SA-35, good or bad?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I still think it really depends on what you want/expect out of a gun. For a range toy, even perhaps competition, maybe. As a duty/EDC/heavy or hard use, absolutely not. I remain unconvinced that all the fleas are in fact ironed out, or that they ever can be on a reverse-engineered gun.

But if you just want a "High Power" to have and casually use and appreciate, the SA35 is probably not a bad thing to sink a relatively minimal amount of money on. It's a fairly straightforward and accurate copy, but I question it's long-term viability if used to any real extent.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I emailed Mr. Williams recently to ask for his thoughts on the SA-35 and about replacing the factory sights. Here's the reply:

I have a couple of the SA-35’s in the shop right now, and my examination of them is that they’re a well made copy of the original FN/Browning pistol. The early extractor issues seemed to show up after several hundred rounds had been fired, and I suspected then that the issue was with a substandard extractor spring which likely was not properly heat treated and after some use the springs lost some of their tension. The problems seem to have been rectified now and for anyone who is concerned replacing the original spring with a good quality part should solve the problem.

I’n not aware of any aftermarket sights that are straight drop-ins, but sights from Novak, Heinie or others should work, though some machine work and subsequent refinishing would be necessary.

The two I have in the shop now are scheduled for custom work, and if the gun was sub-standard as to quality, I wouldn’t do the work.

Thanks, and hope this helps,

Don Wlliams
    The Action Works
    A substandard extractor spring may have been a causal factor, but it certainly wasn't the only, or the most significant one in the trials and tribulations owners of SA35s experienced.

It's now been out there for awhile, but I'd suggest that this is a good analysis and read so that you'll have an idea as to what you could be getting into.

https://bhspringsolutions.com/index....tion-analysis/

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    But if you just want a "High Power" to have and casually use and appreciate, the SA35 is probably not a bad thing to sink a relatively minimal amount of money on. It's a fairly straightforward and accurate copy, but I question it's long-term viability if used to any real extent.

Best, Jon
    Thanks, casual use for fun is the goal.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    A substandard extractor spring may have been a causal factor, but it certainly wasn't the only, or the most significant one in the trials and tribulations owners of SA35s experienced.

It's now been out there for awhile, but I'd suggest that this is a good analysis and read so that you'll have an idea as to what you could be getting into.

https://bhspringsolutions.com/index....tion-analysis/

Best, Jon
    This was pretty damning:

THE FOLLOWING SPRINGFIELD SA-35 COMPONENTS TESTED SATISFACTORY DURING BHSpringSolutions’ Testing. There are currently no known advantages for replacement of these Springfield SA-35 OEM components:

Firing Pin
    Firing Pin Retaining Plate
    Ejector
    Trigger Pin
    Grip Screws
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List