Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 32 S&W Long Wadcutters vs 380?

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Ive got the 32 s&w long in the back of my mind as a geezer gun, but I think Ill drop to 38 Short Colts in the 38 spl first. the standard loads run a 125 gr bullet at 700-something fps. I loaded some for light plinkers, but may work up a slightly faster load with the TC 125 gr bullets to find the comfort level in the small guns and see how they do. I also have a Ideal 358345 mold, which is a 115 gr swc.

I have a weird project in mind, a Colt D frame with frame flat topped/target sighted and a 22 Diamondback barrel rebored to 32. It would be a fun shooter and small game gun mainly, but I guess would make a fair geezer gun.
    I've thought about getting a 2" K frame for pocket carry, or just finding a 4" one in rough shape and have gunsmith shorten barrel and bob hammer.

While I'm pretty sure that would be workable with low recoil 38's it roughly same weight & size as the G26's

I will probably try a LCR with 32 Wadcutters and if that is to much probably just go with LCR in 22 WMR for my smaller & lighter than G26 niche.

I've though about geezer guns for myself before, but always thought I'd be older before I'd need them. I'm just past the half century mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    I've thought about getting a 2" K frame for pocket carry, or just finding a 4" one in rough shape and have gunsmith shorten barrel and bob hammer.

While I'm pretty sure that would be workable with low recoil 38's it roughly same weight & size as the G26's

I will probably try a LCR with 32 Wadcutters and if that is to much probably just go with LCR in 22 WMR for my smaller & lighter than G26 niche.

I've though about geezer guns for myself before, but always thought I'd be older before I'd need them. I'm just past the half century mark.

I pocket carried a 640 for a few years, then found a 1980s Colt Agent, which instantly became my favorite pocket carry gun, even with Pachmayr Compac grips. It splits the difference between J and K frame while giving 6 rds and has a very comfortable grip. If the recoil became a problem with it I think id try a steel frame Colt D frame, namely a Detective Special. I think the K is a bit more than I want to pocket carry, YMMV of course.

Edit: you might give some different grips a try on your current gun. They may not be optimal for carry ease, but may get you able to shoot it again without the pain. I never considered the Pachmayrs on a J, but they definitely make it easier to shoot. Ive been pleasantly surprised on how well the Colt with Pachmarys has worked out for pocket carry, as its the best grip ive found for it to shoot. Im able to do it with no holster or a milk jug holster with minimal low end protrusion so it sits low enough it doesnt show. The speedloader in the pocket keeps it in place for the most part.

Theres also older Colt Detective Specials and Police Positives (same frame with longer barrel, like 3"+) in 32 cal for somewhat reasonable prices. Colt called the 32 S&W long 32 Colt NP or New Police. One such gun with finish challenges would probably be the donor gun for my wanna-be Diamondback 32 project. In the Colt line, a Cobra or Agent is the alloy frame version in the older small D frames

Yes, Im somewhat new gun challenged. If anything newish strikes an interest, I tend to look for older versions of the same type or concept, and they are often less money.

When my injury happened, I felt like I aged about 15 years in a short time. Its been a bit over 10 years now. I had thought about geezer guns before, but also didnt expect to actually need them so soon.
    Last edited by Malamute; 09-10-2023 at 10:47 AM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

@Dov That's unfortunate, hopefully you continue down the path of recovery.

As I get seasoned, it's always interesting to discover how things affect me differently.
    Taking a break from social media.

Theres also older Colt Detective Specials and Police Positives (same frame with longer barrel, like 3"+) in 32 cal for somewhat reasonable prices. Colt called the 32 S&W long 32 Colt NP or New Police. One such gun with finish challenges would probably be the donor gun for my wanna-be Diamondback 32 project. In the Colt line, a Cobra or Agent is the alloy frame version in the older small D frames

Yes, Im somewhat new gun challenged. If anything newish strikes an interest, I tend to look for older versions of the same type or concept, and they are often less money.

When my injury happened, I felt like I aged about 15 years in a short time. Its been a bit over 10 years now. I had thought about geezer guns before, but also didnt expect to actually need them so soon.
    I actually like the idea of older revolvers, I really prefer revolvers to autos, but don't have any real experience with Colt revolvers. Only Colt revolver I've shot was friends Anaconda which I liked a lot.

Please feel free to expound on these older and reasonable (?) priced revolvers. Think DB mentioned something similar as good for non enthusiasts on ether podcast or thread though can't remember if he was talking about 32's or the 38 Short Colts you mentioned.

For older revolvers my only concerns would be parts if needed, sights (especially since my eyes are getting older like rest of me), and holsters.

I actually like the idea of older revolvers, I really prefer revolvers to autos, but don't have any real experience with Colt revolvers. Only Colt revolver I've shot was friends Anaconda which I liked a lot.

Please feel free to expound on these older and reasonable (?) priced revolvers. Think DB mentioned something similar as good for non enthusiasts on ether podcast or thread though can't remember if he was talking about 32's or the 38 Short Colts you mentioned.

For older revolvers my only concerns would be parts if needed, sights (especially since my eyes are getting older like rest of me), and holsters.

I was somewhat concerned about doing basic work on them and parts, but the gunsmithing section of the Colt forum had some good how-to info, and there are in fact a handful of people still working on them. Jack First and Numrich have basic wear parts, like new hands. I also bought 2 guns minus frames for parts. Its probably a bit of overkill, but seemed like a good idea at the time and they didnt cost that much. I think its accurate to say the older Colts wont take as much general shooting without a tune-up, but I like them enough that I just accept it and drive on. Im starting to wonder if Im ever going to shoot my Agent enough in my lifetime to worry about parts or work, though I think I can probably fit a hand or modify one if need be.

I haunt gunbroker now and then, search revolvers, colt, 38 spl (or 32 as a search term on the upper banner, their 32 caliber selection thing is weird) and price low to high. Theres 2 sections, the ones with the blue stars, then it starts over with non premium sellers for the price scale. I see where the actual bids slow down, and dont get hung hung up on perfect condition. Some decent older Colts show up in the $400 to $600 range. Theres some fair deals, and a lot of very optimistic sellers or ones that cater to true collectors and perfect condition guns, which isnt me. Hanging out a bit on the Colt forum now and then has been informative. if i could afford it I could easily get strung out on older Colt DA revolvers. Tons of character in so many of them.

Ive just added the white then bright orange nail polish to pretty much all my pistol sights. The age of particular Colts had different widths of front sights, some better than others. I think the post war to heavy barrel/shrouded ejector rod period were wider than earlier or later. I dont sweat it either way, thats just what I know on sights. Pre-war probably have the harder to see sights but they can be improved with a file and paint. The 1980s Agent has a sort of skinny front sight but stands out well with the orange paint. Holsters seem to be around, Ive found a few vintage ones I like in brand new condition, but see newer made ones. It may depend on what type of holster you want. Holsters for the Detective Special should be fairly close to any D frame of similar barrel length, the difference would be the barrel contour/weight. Many parts interchange from early 1900s to recently, sort of like H-D motorcycles in some ways.

@Outpost75 is probably the guy to ask about Colts. Im pretty much a novice to the Colt DA realm, just beginning to learn.
    Last edited by Malamute; 09-10-2023 at 05:19 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

.... I'm hoping I might be able to shoot my Airweight J frame with 130 FMJ and wadcutters without severe pain by end of year because I have been making a lot of progress, but last time I shot J frame with just 130 FMJ it crippled my hand for 3-4 days and hurt bad for few days past that.

Just a data point, but I personally found 130 FMJ to be nearly as obnoxious as +P in my Airweight.

I would second trying some of Lost River's .38 short loads.

https://www.lostriverammocompany.com...t-Point-50-RND
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    I pocket carried a 640 for a few years, then found a 1980s Colt Agent, which instantly became my favorite pocket carry gun, even with Pachmayr Compac grips. It splits the difference between J and K frame while giving 6 rds and has a very comfortable grip. If the recoil became a problem with it I think id try a steel frame Colt D frame, namely a Detective Special. I think the K is a bit more than I want to pocket carry, YMMV of course.

Edit: you might give some different grips a try on your current gun. They may not be optimal for carry ease, but may get you able to shoot it again without the pain. I never considered the Pachmayrs on a J, but they definitely make it easier to shoot. Ive been pleasantly surprised on how well the Colt with Pachmarys has worked out for pocket carry, as its the best grip ive found for it to shoot. Im able to do it with no holster or a milk jug holster with minimal low end protrusion so it sits low enough it doesnt show. The speedloader in the pocket keeps it in place for the most part.

One of my Js came with a really long Pachmayr Gripper on it, but it was narrow, and did I mention that it was LONG? A model 60 Ladysmith, in fact. I put Compacs on it, and it is much improved over any other J I have used for shooting comfortably and with control all day. I do have larger than average hands, so others may not like it as much this way.

I normally carry that gun, when I carry it, on a belt. I do not recall carrying it in a pocket, but it would need a hammer spur bob before I would try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    One of my Js came with a really long Pachmayr Gripper on it, but it was narrow, and did I mention that it was LONG? A model 60 Ladysmith, in fact. I put Compacs on it, and it is much improved over any other J I have used for shooting comfortably and with control all day. I do have larger than average hands, so others may not like it as much this way.

I normally carry that gun, when I carry it, on a belt. I do not recall carrying it in a pocket, but it would need a hammer spur bob before I would try it.

I have a spare hammer for the Agent I considered bobbing, but I got in the habit of putting my thumb against the back of the spur when drawing it and it hasnt been a problem.

If Pachmayr grips are too grippy in pocket material, some seem more grippy or clingy than others, try treating them with armor all. It seems to reduce the skunky rubber smell some also.
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

For what it's worth, I have a model 36 that I hardly ever shot. I did carry it some but when I shot it with published 38 spl loads I wasn't impressed with how well I could shoot it. Consequently, I went back to my 9mm Sig P-239.

Recently I got curious about 38 SC. I loaded some up in 3 different flavors but I went off the res with a few loads not having any load data for the powder I was using. Snappy. I settled on a load that seemed to be a perfect fit for my 36. I really like the fact that the recoil is tame and the accuracy is pretty damn good. Just my observations here, but 38 spl loads are not conducive to good accuracy in J frame snubbies, especially for people that voted for Nixon. That's where 38 Short Colt shines in my opinion.

I've also owned and carried a .380. You won't get any blowback from me if you like the cartridge for SD.

I'll just turn this over to the experts now. LR has probably done some testing. I haven't.
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-10-2023 at 09:38 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Regarding grips and recoil: Shot a Smith 19 Performance Center Carry Comp (34.5oz) the other day with Norma 158gr. It was brutal with its wood grips and my standard revolver hold (courtesy of J. Miculek). 6 rounds was truly all I cared to fire. Contrasted with my J frame (14.6oz) and CTC LG-405, which is not at all unpleasant with the same load. Didn't realize how much recoil the 405s soaked up.

I'd venture that your J, with LG-405s, and .38 Short Colt would be very pleasant.

Just don't get the idea to go with a 43c.
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List