Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus…

Site Supporter
    While things going wrong is never fun, the way the situation is handled when things go wrong can be as important as avoiding the problem in the first place. Glad to see Caleb on top of this issue.

Caleb, since this issue appears to be showing up more than once, and seems to occur primarily (or perhaps exclusively) with one particular configuration, perhaps your engineers should be made aware as well?
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I had an experience with Taurus customer service.

I originally bought a "stainless" 2 inch 856 and I have around 1000 trouble free rounds through it.

I then got an 856 ULCH so I could have a practice revolver plus a light weight carry revolver for the same amount of money as one J-Frame.

On the ULCH the cylinder would bind sometimes when pulling the trigger. I sent it to Taurus CS and they fired 12 rounds and said it was OK. I told them not to send it back and to test it more because it didn't do it all the time. They fired 50 more rounds of Federal ammo and said it was OK. I had them send it back to me.

I did further testing myself and found that cartridge rim thickness seemed to be the problem. Many brands worked fine but Federal wadcutters rim, plus a few others,would bind on the recoil shield with some rounds but not all. Out of a box of 50 maybe 10 would bind.

My solution is to fill the cylinder, close it and very carefully pull the trigger just enough to unlock the bolt and spin the cylinder with my hand. Don't try this at home folks. I've seen Jerry M do this so you know it's alright. If a round would bind, I replaced it with another round out of the same box.

@jetfire and I have messaged back and forth about this so he is aware. I decided to just leave it the way it is rather than going through sending it back. Taurus CS did a reasonable job but the problem was random enough that they didn't catch it. I'm still a Taurus revolver fan.
    Name:  IMG_7897.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  29.8 KB

While Caleb might be standup and trying to sort this out, Totem Polar's picture is worth a thousand words and customers shouldn't need to use some sort of magical insider's language for that to not happen.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Caleb, since this issue appears to be showing up more than once, and seems to occur primarily (or perhaps exclusively) with one particular configuration, perhaps your engineers should be made aware as well?
    So the problem we have with this is that we cannot replicate the issue on a 1:1 basis, right? If I grab a random 856 or 605 out of the warehouse I can't make this happen consistently. That's not to say that we don't take it seriously either, it's just that it's proving to be difficult to track exactly what/why the springs will bind in certain guns and not others.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    the tail of the spring works it's way under the coil below it while under full compression, providing extra drag and preventing retraction.
    There is an automatic with a similar problem, one end of the recoil spring is not closed and you have to put it on the guide the opposite way to conventional wisdom to keep that little prong from hanging up.
    Maybe Taurus - or Wolff - could finish the spring better.

My solution is to fill the cylinder, close it and very carefully pull the trigger just enough to unlock the bolt and spin the cylinder with my hand.
    I would do that with a SAA in CAS. Invariably, somebody would say "All you have to do is load one, skip one, load one, to have it come out right." Yes, pardner, I read Skeeter Skelton, too, and I would do that if I were shooting factory loads in a clean gun, but twirling the cylinder lets me find the odd burred rim or high primer that will tie up the gun on the clock.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Am I wrong to think that a simple fix would be to design a 3" specific spring?

I just picked this up used, "unfired"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    So the problem we have with this is that we cannot replicate the issue on a 1:1 basis, right? If I grab a random 856 or 605 out of the warehouse I can't make this happen consistently. That's not to say that we don't take it seriously either, it's just that it's proving to be difficult to track exactly what/why the springs will bind in certain guns and not others.
    You probably have a better view of the number or problems than my sporadic information from reading various threads here, but this problem seems to occur in the 3" guns only. Are there any structural or dimensional differences between the ejector rod or spring which could possibly contribute to the issue?
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    You probably have a better view of the number or problems than my sporadic information from reading various threads here, but this problem seems to occur in the 3" guns only. Are there any structural or dimensional differences between the ejector rod or spring which could possibly contribute to the issue?
    So when this does happen, it does usually seem to be because the longer rod on the 3 inch gun bottoms out during vigorous operation, and the 2 inch rod doesn't. Another forum user solved his issue by swapping a 2 inch's ejector rod onto his gun and hasn't encountered the issue since.

The trick is figuring out what combination of factors make ejector rod X stick to spring Y and then eliminating that issue. I have some pet theories but nothing solid yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    So when this does happen, it does usually seem to be because the longer rod on the 3 inch gun bottoms out during vigorous operation, and the 2 inch rod doesn't. Another forum user solved his issue by swapping a 2 inch's ejector rod onto his gun and hasn't encountered the issue since.

The trick is figuring out what combination of factors make ejector rod X stick to spring Y and then eliminating that issue. I have some pet theories but nothing solid yet.
    This is just some thoughts to consider. On S&W revolvers, the old ones with the older star had a greater length that the ejector rod went. The newer ones with the square star didn't allow the ejector rod to go as far. I discovered that while looking for better ejection on my IDPA revolvers. I don't know why. Perhaps something like the newer ones could be incorporated into the 3" 856.

Lots of home gun smiths and remedies here.

Personally, I don't think Taurus is any different than S&W, Ruger or Colt these days. Many dissatisfied customers. It's the times we live in and the new business model.

I hope this gets resolved but it might take some serious effort, and money, on the owners part.

I was so damn frustrated with Ruger with repairs on a 77/357 rifle I just sold it. They couldn't repair it because it was a poorly designed bolt. But they tried. And the really amazing part about it is they still make them.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List