Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: CZ Shadow 2 Compact

I’m thinking I’d add the PMM IDRS to my SRO if I end up getting one of these so I had a rear sight.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....r-Sight-(IDRS)
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    Factory stock shadow 2 is not drop safe. It just takes stronger impact to hit the hammer enough to fire. For example, if the gun falls from some higher level than the holster or while shooter is running. The hammer rests on the firing pin in the decocked position ( Unless it is on the half cocked position). 1911 cocked and locked is actually safer because the hammer doesn’t rest on the firing pin.
    The hammer also rests against the back of the slide and/or frame when fully lowered, so even if the hammer were to be hit as hard as possible its not possible for the hammer to travel any further forward than its resting position because its forward movement is blocked. That means that it is also not possible for the hammer alone to send the firing pin forward when struck in the hammer-down position. The hammer needs to be cocked a certain amount in order for it to properly hit the firing pin to send it traveling forward using inertia. It is theoretically possible for a hard enough fall on the muzzle to cause the firing pin to travel forward with no interaction of any kind from the hammer and fire a round (a scenario which is much more likely with the lightened firing pin springs and/or extended firing pins that people often use).

The key is that the stock firing pin does not protrude from the breech face or contact the primer when the hammer fully lowered and resting on the back of the firing pin, so the hammer-down condition doesn't present a drop safety risk due to a hammer strike. However, with every extended CZ firing pin that I have used, the firing pin does protrude from the breech face and contact the primer when the hammer is resting on the firing pin. Much of the additional length is added to the back of the firing pin, so a chambered round can cause the firing pin to sit slightly protruding from the back of the slide and slightly away from the hammer's forward end-of-travel. You can imagine how that could lead to potential issues if the hammer were to be struck in the hammer-down position.

Also, CZ's two recommended "safe modes" for the Shadow 2 are (1) hammer fully cocked with the manual safety ON, or (2) hammer fully down (not on half-cock) with the manual safety OFF. The half-cock position, per CZ, is simply a safety feature that prevents the hammer from striking the firing pin if the hammer were to be accidently dropped during the manual cocking procedure. It's not a drop safety feature. That said, I'd rather take my chances dropping a CZ that has an extended firing pin and lightened firing pin spring on the hammer with it in the half-cock position than in the fully down position.
    Last edited by RennBaer; 08-23-2023 at 01:32 PM.

“In order for us to bring any trigger kit to market, it also has to pass our drop test which consists of dropping the gun from a height of 6 feet onto a concrete slab in 27 different orientations. In this case, it was painful to watch a Shadow 2 be dropped 54 times since it had to be dropped in DA and SA modes.”

Randy Lee on his trigger kit from Apex Tactical. While I was not a fan of the decocker version they offered, this may be a good option for those concerned with drop safety in a concealed carry role. Unfortunately CZ’s reputation is sometimes marred by people on the razors edge cutting springs and replacing parts with no regard to the consequences.

In the end, I feel the large majority of those against this gun with no FPB likely wouldn’t have bought it if it did have a FPB, i.e. it’s one thing to have an opinion and another thing to be the targeted audience with cash in hand. I also don’t think CZ sees this as supplanting the P365 crowd, it’s simply another, relatively safe (lol maybe not drop safe) spin on a classic design.

Enos Forum
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Well, to devil’s advocate it… lots of people buy cars because of image or brand… despite suboptimal crash test ratings that effectively put them and their families at elevated risk.

Probably more so than the risk they incur by carrying a Shadow 2 over a revolver.
    Beautiful comparison. House fires, motor vehicle accidents, heart disease, etc.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by RennBaer View Post
    The hammer also rests against the back of the slide and/or frame when fully lowered, so even if the hammer were to be hit as hard as possible its not possible for the hammer to travel any further forward than its resting position because its forward movement is blocked. That means that it is also not possible for the hammer alone to send the firing pin forward when struck in the hammer-down position. The hammer needs to be cocked a certain amount in order for it to properly hit the firing pin to send it traveling forward using inertia. It is theoretically possible for a hard enough fall on the muzzle to cause the firing pin to travel forward with no interaction of any kind from the hammer and fire a round (a scenario which is much more likely with the lightened firing pin springs and/or extended firing pins that people often use).

The key is that the stock firing pin does not protrude from the breech face or contact the primer when the hammer fully lowered and resting on the back of the firing pin, so the hammer-down condition doesn't present a drop safety risk due to a hammer strike. However, with every extended CZ firing pin that I have used, the firing pin does protrude from the breech face and contact the primer when the hammer is resting on the firing pin. Much of the additional length is added to the back of the firing pin, so a chambered round can cause the firing pin to sit slightly protruding from the back of the slide and slightly away from the hammer's forward end-of-travel. You can imagine how that could lead to potential issues if the hammer were to be struck in the hammer-down position.

Also, CZ's two recommended "safe modes" for the Shadow 2 are (1) hammer fully cocked with the manual safety ON, or (2) hammer fully down (not on half-cock) with the manual safety OFF. The half-cock position, per CZ, is simply a safety feature that prevents the hammer from striking the firing pin if the hammer were to be accidently dropped during the manual cocking procedure. It's not a drop safety feature. That said, I'd rather take my chances dropping a CZ that has an extended firing pin and lightened firing pin spring on the hammer with it in the half-cock position than in the fully down position.
    Interesting…. They recommend hammer down/DA with safety OFF?

I have 9 Glocks… and I’m looking hard at the CZ Shadow 2 Compact as my stepping out of the striker fired world. I had an HK USP 24 years ago and carried it hammer down/safety engaged. Not sure if that was best. But I haven’t spent much time with a DASA in a long time. I don’t think I’ll carry the CZ much though if I get one.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec
    Evolution Security Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by rawkguitarist View Post
    Interesting…. They recommend hammer down/DA with safety OFF?

I have 9 Glocks… and I’m looking hard at the CZ Shadow 2 Compact as my stepping out of the striker fired world. I had an HK USP 24 years ago and carried it hammer down/safety engaged. Not sure if that was best. But I haven’t spent much time with a DASA in a long time. I don’t think I’ll carry the CZ much though if I get one.
    CZ actually has three different recommended "safety modes" for the Shadow 2 per the user manual. I originally remembered it as only being two, but I looked it up again since I made that post and found that it's actually three. (1) hammer fully cocked with the manual safety ON, (2) hammer resting on the safety notch (aka: half-cock notch) with the manual safety OFF, or (3) hammer resting on the action with the manual safety OFF.

So, yes, CZ does advise for the Shadow 2 that the hammer down with the safety OFF is a safe mode for the gun to be in. In fact, the manual safety on the Shadow 2 is not designed to be used when the gun is in DA. From the user manual: "Since the trigger mechanism has been specifically adjusted, it is possible to move the safety onto the "SAFE" position even if the hammer is placed on the safety notch. In this case, however, it is strongly not recommended to engage the safety because the trigger mechanism might be damaged when cocking the hammer by force or pulling the trigger."

I looked at a Shadow 2 Compact at my LGS a couple of days ago. I was very tempted to buy it as it seemed like a decent deal and I ha money in my pocket. I few things stopped me until I could check into them. I would want to carry cocked and locked and would/could not do that with the stock safety. It is horrible. Plates, a quick check shows coming up with plates is very hit and miss and some are very thick. Mag release. As a lefty that extended mag release on the left side just won't cut it. That I guess can be fixed by swapping sides or to a lower profile unit. In the end, I didn't see what it would do for me that my C2 won't (albeit at half the price).

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    I looked at a Shadow 2 Compact at my LGS a couple of days ago. I was very tempted to buy it as it seemed like a decent deal and I ha money in my pocket. I few things stopped me until I could check into them. I would want to carry cocked and locked and would/could not do that with the stock safety. It is horrible. Plates, a quick check shows coming up with plates is very hit and miss and some are very thick. Mag release. As a lefty that extended mag release on the left side just won't cut it. That I guess can be fixed by swapping sides or to a lower profile unit. In the end, I didn't see what it would do for me that my C2 won't (albeit at half the price).
    I bought a RMR pattern plate from CHPWS and mounted a SRO on my S2 Compact. Plate seemed fine. Haven't shot it enough to form an opinion.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I really really want one of these...and I can't explain why.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    I really really want one of these...and I can't explain why.
    Not that you need an excuse to buy a new gun but what niche do you see for this? I bought one, and haven't been able to figure out what to do with it yet.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List