Thread: Quick dry fire trigger control drill

Quick dry fire trigger control drill

I've been a competitive pistol shooter since the late 90's but, in 2017, I "discovered" 2 gun competition and now that is my main competitive outlet. At first I sucked with the carbine, never fininshing the long range stage [out to 300m]. So I set out to learn as much about rifle shooting as I could. Now, I'm pretty decent with the rifle and my scores on the long range portion of our club matches is near the top, even with iron sights ! But my pistol skills, once my strength, began to fade. I diognosed my issue as trigger control so I set about to come up with some quick dry fire drills to help. I watched some youtube vids and comprised this quick 6 clicks dry fire drill:

All ammo secured away from pistol, I have a seperate magazine with snaps caps that doesn't get mixed with the others.

1st click, freestyle, watch for movement of the front sight.
    2nd, strong hand only, watch for movement
    3rd, strong hand, trigger finger and thumb only, watch for movement
    4th, same as 3rd
    5th, same as 2nd
    6th, same as 1st

I'm using a DA/SA HK USP 9mm so I do the 1st click from DA.

Can be repeated weak hand too.

Since beginning this drill I have noticed a marked improvement in my trigger control and accuracy in competition.

I was doing a bit of dry practice this afternoon, and went to this site for some inspiration. I saw your post and I appreciate its efficiency.
    I’ll be using this for both hands a couple of times weekly with a few draws before setting out for the day-thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    I was doing a bit of dry practice this afternoon, and went to this site for some inspiration. I saw your post and I appreciate its efficiency.
    I’ll be using this for both hands a couple of times weekly with a few draws before setting out for the day-thanks.
    Thank you. I'm still doing it as I am too busy to get to the range these days. No substitute for real range training but it has helped. Since I'm using a DA/SA I've thrown in some more DA clicks. I use a very small spot on the wall as my precise aiming point. When I do get to the range I use it as a warm up and warm down drill.

User Tag List