Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser

Pretty unusual for a manufacturer to drop price on an established brand, like the LC, from $80-90k to $50-60k.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The article said Toyota thinks the pricing is part of why they had poor sales and had to drop the Land Cruiser in the US market. I think in the US, Toyota is not a luxury brand like Lexus or Range Rover that would compete in that price range. They were still selling the Lexus version in the US, just not the Toyota branded version. So I agree with the approach they are taking if they want to sell in the US. I think in other countries, the Land Cruiser is looked at differently.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    The article said Toyota thinks the pricing is part of why they had poor sales and had to drop the Land Cruiser in the US market. I think in the US, Toyota is not a luxury brand like Lexus or Range Rover that would compete in that price range. They were still selling the Lexus version in the US, just not the Toyota branded version. So I agree with the approach they are taking if they want to sell in the US. I think in other countries, the Land Cruiser is looked at differently.
    100%. Many of the places that you and I have worked in, driving an LC means you're either an oligarch or western diplomat.

Driving a Toyota Camry or Toyota Prado means you're a successful business person that isn't quite independently wealthy, but is getting close.

The default plebe mobile in those places usually being a Suzuki....
    Last edited by TGS; 08-02-2023 at 08:40 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    100%. Many of the places that you and I have worked in, driving an LC means you're either an oligarch or western diplomat.

The default plebe mobile in those places usually being a Suzuki....
    I always sort of/kind of wanted a Land Cruiser, but always thought they were overpriced. The Nissan Patrol and Mitsubishi Montero are other popular SUVS overseas at one time. The overseas markets are definitely different.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    I always sort of/kind of wanted a Land Cruiser, but always thought they were overpriced. The Nissan Patrol and Mitsubishi Montero are other popular SUVS overseas at one time. The overseas markets are definitely different.
    I was recently somewhere that I wanted to buy a Suzuki Jimny to drive for the trip just because I want one, and can't have one here

To be fair, it'd be a deathtrap in the US at our speeds, which is why we don't have them. But when you're in a developing nation with max speeds of 60km/h, average 25-40km/h, then the current generation becomes a really cool light SUV.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I was hoping for one of these:

Attachment 107943

I think these are the coolest Toyotas ever made.
    Here's my entry for coolest Toyota ever made:

Name:  Screen Shot 2023-08-02 at 7.00.07 AM.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  83.8 KB

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Seems odd that er-body is concerned about hybrid (very stable tech with Toyota and Honda). Yet no one seems worried that it is a turbo motor?

Now, I wouldn't dunk a hybrid but I wouldn't dunk any vehicle worth that kind of coin.

99 ish percent will never see the kind of off-roading that requires 4 low.

It's all about the "look" and the fantasy.

I'm glad there is another SUV that is not aimed at mini-van buyers.

I like the idea. Rather than keep the LC as some super expensive status symbol Toyota has decided to try to sell some cars. Arguably this is probably what they should have done 15 years ago instead of making the FJ Cruiser.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I was recently somewhere that I wanted to buy a Suzuki Jimny to drive for the trip just because I want one, and can't have one here
    What no rental available?

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Seems odd that er-body is concerned about hybrid (very stable tech with Toyota and Honda). Yet no one seems worried that it is a turbo motor?

Now, I wouldn't dunk a hybrid but I wouldn't dunk any vehicle worth that kind of coin.

99 ish percent will never see the kind of off-roading that requires 4 low.

It's all about the "look" and the fantasy.

I'm glad there is another SUV that is not aimed at mini-van buyers.
    I’m concerned about all these new motors coming out. That said, as mentioned elsewhere the manufacturers are responding to government mandates and there really is little those of us who don’t have annual tickets to Davos can do about it.

On the plus side, todays turbo engines are not the 1980s turbos. Toyota’s turbo motors sold in the rest of the world have a fantastic reputation for reliability and I’m hearing lots of happy stories from friends who own Ford Eco Boosts. Add to that the fact that Toyotas Hybrid tech is very mature at this point, and I’m hopeful this will be a good power train. The numbers certainly look good!

It will be interesting to see what the new 4Runner shapes out to be as this LC looks to me to be a competitor in the same market.

While I realize it may be a trend, I really dig the new opaque colors going on cars/trucks these days!

User Tag List