Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double-Add One Drill by Justin Dyal (with a Hat Tip to Tom Givens)

Double-Add One Drill by Justin Dyal (with a Hat Tip to Tom Givens)

This drill was discussed in @Tom Givens August 2023 Rangemaster Newsletter, and also in this recent thread

I think it deserves it's own thread. Here's the description, cut and pasted directly from Tom's newsletter.

"This drill really drives home the trigger management needed at different engagement speeds, driven by changes in distance. I think a reasonable goal here is 95% or better. Use a B8-C, an FBI-IP1, or the bullseye on an LTT-1 target. Try to keep everything inside the 10 ring under the time limits. All strings begin at The Ready, muzzle below the target, finger in register."

Stage 1- 2.5 yards: two rounds in one second
    Stage 2 – 5 yards: two rounds in two seconds
    Stage 3 – 10 yards: two rounds in three seconds; repeat for total of four rounds at 10 yards
    Stage 4 – 20 yards: two rounds in four seconds
    10 rounds total 100 points possible

I shot it yesterday and squeaked in with a 95, counting a line break. I dropped most of the points at 10 yards by shooting much faster than necessary.

It's a good drill, especially for those ranges that don't allow holster work.Name:  Screenshot_20230728_113117.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  45.5 KB
    Last edited by Mark D; 07-28-2023 at 01:35 PM.

Will post target but had a 89/100 today on this.

Circle only reticule rushed 2 10 yard shots and launched them into the 7 ring
    Last edited by G19Fan; 07-30-2023 at 10:48 AM.

Site Supporter
    I've been shooting Double Add 1 for nearly a year now (since Justin showed it to a class I hosted in Dallas) and it's really useful. He used it as a drill to work on three different trigger control methods: crash, roll and prep and it works perfectly for that.

Variations on it are to use a vertical 3X5 card (I buy the stick on kind from Amazon) for the target and really find out about your 20 yard mojo! Also, for more basic students, use the 3X5 and shoot two pairs at 2.5 and 5 yards and then one pair at 10 yards. This takes that scary 20 yard pair out, stays at 10 rounds and helps with basic student skills development.

I've never had good luck with trying to post pics on this forum, but I did pull off a clean 100 this week with my Glock 19 for Tom's DOTM work. Great drill!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I've been shooting Double Add 1 for nearly a year now (since Justin showed it to a class I hosted in Dallas) and it's really useful. He used it as a drill to work on three different trigger control methods: crash, roll and prep and it works perfectly for that.

Variations on it are to use a vertical 3X5 card (I buy the stick on kind from Amazon) for the target and really find out about your 20 yard mojo! Also, for more basic students, use the 3X5 and shoot two pairs at 2.5 and 5 yards and then one pair at 10 yards. This takes that scary 20 yard pair out, stays at 10 rounds and helps with basic student skills development.

I've never had good luck with trying to post pics on this forum, but I did pull off a clean 100 this week with my Glock 19 for Tom's DOTM work. Great drill!
    Awesome on the clean run

Name:  15D5F210-93B6-4D7E-97FA-F9B62EAB0F2C.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  43.7 KB

I shot this drill last Sunday in the Master Instructor course with my CORE/ACRO. Yesterday I shot it with the M&P9 2.0C that I generally carry. I’d shot the Rangemaster Baseline Assessment just before, rather horribly. Maybe it took a few rounds to get reacquainted with irons.

I think it’s a good drill I’ll use.

I tried this for the first time today, shooting a PX4CC with iron sights.

We shot a Wizard drill cold (I passed) then four runs of Double-Add One.

I scored 70, 82, 62 (two out of the rings and one overtime), and 85. This is a “going to the gym” drill and I decided I’d reached the point of diminishing returns.

It’s a good one and I’ll shoot it again. If you add a second to each string and shoot it from the holster, it’s a lot like the Bakersfield qual. I may experiment with that once I can pass it as written.

Post I gave this a "cold" run at lunch...

Shot on indoor range at lunchtime with my personal GEN5 19MOS/P2/TLR8G. All times met; the 1 second string works on my head a bit, but it was a .85, a "10"and a "9". 98 points total. I had tried this the other day at a practice session and embarrassed myself by throwing the 2 @20 off the bull(!?!) Just shot it sloppily/too quickly. Redeemed myself a bit today. We inherited some silhouettes with a bullseye high center which was utilized. Good little drill which I'll continue.
    Also shot the "Hickok" test from Claude Werner's Patreon page:successful, barely.
    It's untimed, with two 5 inch squares with a 1 inch square centered. 6 shooting hand only, 6 with "other" hand. One shot from each string must touch the center square. Just nicked it shooting hand; nailed it support hand.
    Last edited by 1Rangemaster; 07-31-2023 at 11:45 AM.

Site Supporter
    I shot this today with my S&W 3" M10. Out of five tries, the best I could do was a 93. The times were no problem...I shot a bunch of strings too quickly. What bit me in the butt was shooting at a B8 at 20 yards DA. Acceptable wobble that works at ten yards doesn't cut it at 20.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Site Supporter
    I tried this again this morning. I was wondering if using my 3” M10 with zero mods to it was holding me back, so I used my 4” M10 that had been through the S&W Performance Center and was a known 1.5”@25 yards gun.

Was the 3” gun holding me back? Uh, nope. It was the loose nut behind the grips. This is the best of five tries:

Name:  IMG_0294.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  42.5 KB

Also, note the two patched holes in the white below the target. I had lost a couple of shots yesterday and had no idea where they’d gone. Now I have something (else) to work on.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

I had a couple of runs this afternoon on the departments indoor range. I used a G26 with iron/orange front BOLD sights first, and then my personal G19MOS w/ACRO. Results: 97 for the 26, and 96 for the 19MOS. I threw an “8” at 20 yards with both, and the 26 was a few 10ths faster up close. I wasn’t quite as focused with the 19 as I should have been, but I’m content up to a point with both.
    As @Wayne Dobbs says-“great drill”. I’ll endeavor to match his 100 with something…

User Tag List