Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: awp_101’s Non-Glock “Glock” mega thread

awp_101’s Non-Glock “Glock” mega thread

@awp_101 had a great idea starting a thread for Non-Glock “Glocks”. Figured I’d start it cuz I got an email today I wanted to share.

PSA frames (complete) are on sale here:
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...g&utm_content=

I decided to give them another try. I bought a full and compact size for $110 shipped.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.

Thanks @Lon! I got Shanghaied and didn't have a chance to get anything started before now.

During the Memorial Day holiday sales I picked up an SCT frame with a non-OEM LPK, a blem factory complete Dagger lower and a complete Remsport G19 slide. I did have to replace the trigger bar assembly in the Dagger with a factory trigger bar assembly due to a trigger issue. If I pinned the trigger the trigger in dry fire and cycled the slide, the trigger would not reset. It didn't have that problem when I swapped in the TMH from the SCT frame. Although it wasn't part of the plan, the factory trigger assembly did away with the hinged Dagger trigger which is an upgrade in my book. I've disliked hinged triggers since the S&W Sigma days.

Tuesday I was able to spend some time at the range and shot the SCT and Dagger frames back to back and against a 19.4. Here's some random observations from that session.

I really like the SCT frame texture but it's very square and could really stand to be radiused. The lack of a beavertail led to serious slide bite. Neither factory Glock mag I brought with me dropped free. The 4 slot pic rail is a nice touch.

The Dagger frame shape felt much better than the SCT but the texture is the least aggressive of the 3. It also feels slightly smaller than a factory 19 frame. Very M&P like IMO. The trigger guard undercut and single finger groove are a nice improvement over the factory 19 frame. The trigger is lighter than the 19 but the break is pretty mushy. Not sure how much any of that is from the PSA parts or the factory trigger bar assembly. Again, the lack of a beavertail meant serious slide bite. I'm not planning on running a light on any of these so I don't know if the single slot Glock style rail is a help or hindrance.

The Remsport slide is drama free so far. I went with the iron sight version because of price, because I haven't settled on any particular red dot as "the one" and because of price.

Thanks to a recent P&S episode, I changed to the large beavertail backstrap on the 19.4. It feels weird but I shot one of my best offhand groups ever so maybe there's something to it? I might try wrapping the Dagger frame with hockey tape to see if I can get the same (or at least similar) results.

Name:  What did we learn Palmer.JPG
Views: 1224
Size:  32.0 KB

Damned if I know. Well, not quite. I learned that just like ARs, 10/22s and the Ruger MK series, rolling your own non-Glock-Glock is a fun and rewarding project. I've got a Combat Armory frame inbound and I jumped on the PSA 4th of July deal similar to the one Lon posted. I've also got a couple of LTT grip anchors on the way to see if the non-backstrap version will work on any of these non-G frames.

Would I carry one? Not right now without a whole bunch of vetting and not while I have a factory 19 available. Maybe I'm being overly cautious but I can get a brandy new blue label for not much more than what I've got in both frames and the slide. Also, unless there's an add on beavertail of some sort that will work with these aftermarket frames, the idea of shooting them for more than a mag or two is a non-starter for me.

Will I build more for fun and possible gaming? Probably so.

Gratuitous crappy pic:

Name:  IMG_1459.jpg
Views: 1224
Size:  57.8 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

@awp_101, I have never had slide bite issues on any of the frames, but I’ve got smedium sized hands. I think you’ll like the Combat Armory frame. I’m hoping I have better luck with these new PSA frames. Got something neat planned for the full sized frame of it works.
    Formerly known as xpd54.

I just got a psa dagger. Went with the compact, threaded barrel, with rmr cut. Came with 5 27 round and 5 15 round pmags and a nice case. Haven’t shot it yet but so far just dry firing it I like it. I replaced the trigger with a factory Glock 17 trigger though.
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse870 View Post
    I just got a psa dagger. Went with the compact, threaded barrel, with rmr cut. Came with 5 27 round and 5 15 round pmags and a nice case. Haven’t shot it yet but so far just dry firing it I like it. I replaced the trigger with a factory Glock 17 trigger though.
    I must be weird. I kinda liked the hinged trigger.
    Formerly known as xpd54.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    @awp_101 had a great idea starting a thread for Non-Glock “Glocks”. Figured I’d start it cuz I got an email today I wanted to share.

PSA frames (complete) are on sale here:
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...g&utm_content=

I decided to give them another try. I bought a full and compact size for $110 shipped.
    Fifty bucks for a populated frame? Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
    Fifty bucks for a populated frame? Interesting.
    Mine shipped today.
    Formerly known as xpd54.

@awp_101, I have never had slide bite issues on any of the frames, but I’ve got smedium sized hands.
    Mine are probably M/L but they’re chubby meaty. I get hammer bite from 1911s with GI hammers and no beavertails. BHPs too.

Mine shipped today.
    I’ll pick up my pair plus the CA frame tomorrow. I’ll pull the guts from the SCT frame to use in the CA.

In other news that probably belongs in the LTT grip anchor thread, I can confirm the grip anchor DOES NOT fit the compact Dagger frame. It will ALMOST fit the SCT but not well enough for the screw to be started.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Mine are probably M/L but they’re chubby meaty. I get hammer bite from 1911s with GI hammers and no beavertails. BHPs too.

I’ll pick up my pair plus the CA frame tomorrow. I’ll pull the guts from the SCT frame to use in the CA.

In other news that probably belongs in the LTT grip anchor thread, I can confirm the grip anchor DOES NOT fit the compact Dagger frame. It will ALMOST fit the SCT but not well enough for the screw to be started.
    I picked mine up yesterday afternoon. The compact frame worked out well. The full size frame has issues. I tried 4 different slides on it and none of them would function properly. Gotta spend some more time this weekend trying to diagnose things.
    Formerly known as xpd54.

User Tag List