Thread: Bullets HITTING Bullets in mid air!

Bullets HITTING Bullets in mid air!

A little more research would have made the difference for them. They needed to use pure lead, and it looked like they were using Trail Boss for a powder. I would have at least tried something like Bullseye since it has been used for gallery loads since its release. There are other little tweaks that could have helped too.

But they didn't ask me.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Also the two bullets that inspired this experiment were almost certainly fired from a farther distance apart, so their desire to reduce velocity was on point but probably not obtainable to the degree needed. They did stick one bullet in the a barrel as it is. I give them props for it being interesting nonetheless.

Interesting.

Kinda Pointless ?! ... but sure interesting.

Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by bfoosh006 View Post
    Interesting.

Thanks for sharing.
    Geeks are gonna geek...
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by bfoosh006 View Post
    Interesting.

Thanks for sharing.
    Not really pointless. Dude’s earning a good living making cool videos that support stem and sciences.

https://www.noxinfluencer.com/youtub...4m0o2-emgoDnAA
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    A little more research would have made the difference for them. They needed to use pure lead, and it looked like they were using Trail Boss for a powder. I would have at least tried something like Bullseye since it has been used for gallery loads since its release. There are other little tweaks that could have helped too.

But they didn't ask me.

Yep, my first thought after seeing the first impact was the bullet was too hard, and the velocity was too high. A pure lead bullet and maybe a little heaver, 300+ gains, may help.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Thanks for posting that, TiroFijo.

One thing that I noticed in the video is that none of them seemed to be aware of existing hydrodynamic theory that would have helped them understand the processes that they were capturing on the high frame rate videography.

An understanding of the equation for the Alekseevskii-Tate HPIT (hydrodynamic pressure interface theory) here—

½ρP(V-U)² + YP = ½ρTU² + RT

YP = projectile yield strength (Hugoniot Elastic Limit)
    RT = target resistive strength
    ρP = projectile density
    ρT = target density
    U = projectile nose interface velocity
    V = projectile tail velocity

—would have permitted them a valuable insight into the ablative process where the metal is forced from solidus into liquidus under the pressure exerted at the interface of the projectiles. Knowing the density and hardness (BHN) of the bullet alloy would have allowed them to treat the head-to-head impact as a symmetric interaction by modeling the interface at the bullets' point of contact as ''zero thickness'' barrier with infinite strength and assume an equal rate of erosion (a function of the difference of the nose and tail velocity of the bullets) since both projectiles were composed of the same alloy and striking at an equal velocity.

Employing the following transcendental equation, which expresses the velocity-dependent relationship of RT and α to the density, shear (GT) and bulk (KT) moduli of the target material—

(1 + (ρTU² ÷ YT)) · √(KT - ρTα²U²) = (1 + (ρTα²U² ÷ 2GT)) · √(KT - ρTU²)

—and assuming a steady-state flow stress field in each projectile, the velocity at which the projectile-target pressure interface advances through the opposing bullet would be U = VTAIL ÷ [1 + √(ρT ÷ ρP)], and setting 'm' as the slope of the intact yield strength/pressure curve (where m = ¾) of the (ductile) bullet alloy, the solution of the transcendental equation for α would be—

α = √[(2√3GT) ÷ (2σyT + ½mρTU²)]

—where α must then be utilized in the computation of RT (which would also equal YP) for each bullet—

RT = (7 ÷ 3) · LN(α) · σyT

σyT = yield strength of the target material which is the bullet alloy being used.

Using the RT = YP determined above, it would be possible to predict the final length of both projectiles for any given mutual impact velocity, as they would obviously be ablating/eroding at the same rate using—

Lf = LEFF · e-x where x = [(ρPVprojectile2) ÷ (2YP)] and e is Euler's number ≈2.718281828459045

The equation above for Lf could then be rearranged to solve for and predict a velocity range that would allow more of the bullets' length to be conserved for a better chance at duplicating the historical oddity that they were investigating.

Very interesting, indeed.
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 06-12-2023 at 11:39 PM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Not really pointless. Dude’s earning a good living making cool videos that support stem and sciences.

https://www.noxinfluencer.com/youtub...4m0o2-emgoDnAA
    My apologizes.. my comment wasn't to minimize the work shown.

It was very interesting.

User Tag List