Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weatherby teasing something new

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    The website says it's proudly built in Sheridan, WY.
    I wonder if the parts are made in the USA? Barrel, receiver, bolt, etc.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I am not seeing much detail on that stock. It looks like it's designed to compete with the Tikka CTR/Bergara HMR more or less. How well it does that depends on the stock. If it's just a run of the mill cheap-o plastic stock with an adjustable cheek piece, that's pretty meh. If it's fiberglass with a built in metal mini chassis, this could be interesting.

A big appeal for me of the HMR was that the included mini-chassis is actually quite decent (made by Grayboe for Bergara under contract). My HMR is now in a different chassis, but I kept the factory stock and eventually put another Bergara in it and had it skim-bedded. Quite happy with that choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I am not seeing much detail on that stock. It looks like it's designed to compete with the Tikka CTR/Bergara HMR more or less. How well it does that depends on the stock. If it's just a run of the mill cheap-o plastic stock with an adjustable cheek piece, that's pretty meh. If it's fiberglass with a built in metal mini chassis, this could be interesting.

A big appeal for me of the HMR was that the included mini-chassis is actually quite decent (made by Grayboe for Bergara under contract). My HMR is now in a different chassis, but I kept the factory stock and eventually put another Bergara in it and had it skim-bedded. Quite happy with that choice.

I'm also curious about the barrel on top of the stock. I've owned a couple of weatherby's in the past and while they would work fine as a hunting gun, I ended up selling them. They would shoot two shots with selected ammo quite well. However if you tried to push it to three or higher, the groups would open up significantly. The barrels were quite thin.

If they are trying to Market this new gun more towards Shooters rather than hunters, I hope they put a better Barrel on it.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    I'm also curious about the barrel on top of the stock. I've owned a couple of weatherby's in the past and while they would work fine as a hunting gun, I ended up selling them. They would shoot two shots with selected ammo quite well. However if you tried to push it to three or higher, the groups would open up significantly. The barrels were quite thin.

If they are trying to Market this new gun more towards Shooters rather than hunters, I hope they put a better Barrel on it.
    Yeah just eyeballing it, i'd say it looks like a #3 or optimistically #3b contour barrel. Particularly with the fluting will likely heat up pretty fast. Would be surprised if the muzzle diameter is over 0.700"

User Tag List