Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 LastLast

Thread: Shithole Cities

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Challenge for today will be to use it in context...
    Not a day goes by that I don’t find a use for that saying. I’m a little worried over what that says about me, but then again, I’m in academia.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Being on my plane at Heathrow, years ago - a Scorpion light tank rumbled by my window. So there's that. Now, when I lived in Brooklyn, I was mugged as a young teenager at knife point. My mother was mugged in our apartment house elevator. My best friend's Mom was similarly mugged. My dentist was severely beaten by a gentleman looking for drugs. Once walking down the street, with Mom and Dad, a nasty looking fellow started to walk aggressively at us. Now, my dad who was a Golden Gloves boxer and with his sketchy brother had a touch of a history - emitted an attitude causing said fellow to change his flight path. Dad had to be restrained by Mom at times with neighborly interactions.

So, having ridden the subways - I'm just fine, if I were there, with the NG and Troopers all over the place.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

In the mid 80s I had to overnight in Tokyo after my flight there was late and we missed the connection to Beijing. The next morning going to the airport our shuttle passed through a military checkpoint of four armored cars in a wedge with the turrets pointed in. We had guys with sub guns walk our bus and look at everyone. The Japanese Red Army was active at the time and they weren’t messing around. I got patted down going through security. It was an interesting day.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Shithole Cities

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 03-09-2024 at 12:30 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    LoL!

Is anyone else picking up the absolutely gaslighting vibe from all these progressive democrats running for re-election on a fix-the-crime platform, when they were all “DeFunNnnnd!!!” 3 years ago?

Seriously, in my state/region, it’s enough gaslighting to power 1850’s London.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    LoL!

Is anyone else picking up the absolutely gaslighting vibe from all these progressive democrats running for re-election on a fix-the-crime platform, when they were all “DeFunNnnnd!!!” 3 years ago?

I prefer the original term "DoubleThink" myself. But Politicians have always been slippery lampreys without principles willing to throw their own grandmothers under the bus if it gives them money and power.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DrkBlue View Post
    There have been few times that I felt less safe than La Guardia, circa 2018. One trip I counted six different armed agencies patrolling the terminal and immediate parking. One dropped metal cup and a whole bunch of agencies, inclusive of strawhat Troopers and Guardsmen armed with long guns, we’re going to start pointing guns in different directions.

I couldn’t wait to leave La Guardia, but f*@/‘g Delta couldn’t book me home for seven days.

Only New Yorkers would find that dysfunctional security theatre situation comforting. It is a performative clown show that curiously only seems to be necessary in one strange, atypical place that is resistant to the Constitutional and social norms of the rest of the nation.
    I never got stranded in La Guardia, but I had a connection through there one time flying from Syracuse back to flyover country back in 2014 or 2015 . . . I could not get on that Delta bird fast enough when they called my flight for boarding. Anytime I had to fly to Syracuse after that, I made sure I connected just about anywhere but La Guardia. Upstate NY was nice though, I definitely saw the appeal of living in that area if not for that state being politically identical to the state I grew up in (Illinois).
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Concealed carry licensees are not permitted to bring guns into certain defined "sensitive locations."

Sensitive locations include, but are not limited to:

Airports
    Bars and restaurants that serve alcohol
    Courthouses
    Educational Institutions
    Emergency shelters, including domestic violence shelters and homeless shelters
    Entertainment venues
    Federal, state, and local government buildings
    Health and medical facilities
    Houses of worship
    Libraries, playgrounds, parks (including botanical gardens), and zoos
    Polling sites
    Public demonstrations and rallies
    Public transportation and public transportation stations, including subways, buses, and subway stations
    Schools, nursery schools, preschools, and summer camps
    Times Square.
    Well there you have it. We'll give you a permit but you can't carry where you need it the most.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-09-2024 at 07:54 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    A hint, when we had to go the Hudson Valley area, we flew into Albany from a hub and then drove to the area we wanted. It was much easier than La Guardia and avoided that hell hole, tremendous rental car hassles and driven out of the city on shit roads.

As far as the gun laws - we are waiting for Alito and Thomas to lead their colleagues to bring forth the decisions we have been waiting for. But no - won't take on emergency appeals , remands into the black hole, etc. I have a tinfoil hat opinion that they are deliberately stalling on major gun decisions now, that would void such laws and new state AWBs, because they want to keep the issues alive for the election. Joe was all for AWBs and down on the NRA. If the court voided all those nasty laws - not a GOP campaign issue. I know folks will say that they are not political. Yep, Clarence's wife was all in on the election conspiracy paradigm. Don't tell me they don't think about such.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    LoL!

Fix-the-crime doesn't equate to less gun control in WA. In WA it equates to more gun control. I'm wondering when they will have enough gun control here.

So if you defund the po po and keep adding more gun control, who's left? The National Guard. All those damn M4's are scary. Can't carry in a subway but there's a guy over there with an M4.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-09-2024 at 08:12 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List