Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GLock Gen 4 in .40

GLock Gen 4 in .40

With all the talk of the 4th Gen 9's being very spotty on reliability, I want to know how the Gen 4 .40's have been running?

I have 5 Gen 4's in .40, two G35's two, G22's and a G23. They are all 100% to this point!! ( excluding the bad ammo, primers in backwards). I have 2500 ish rounds though one of the G22's and 3000 + though the G35's.

I do see some wear on the extractor on all of the 4th gen's but do not see the issues that the 9's have.

How has yours ran?
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Site Supporter
    I had a Gen4 22 with the non-counterbore slide. Ran 2000 duty rounds through it and it was flawless. Sold it because I got out of .40's.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I haven't heard of even a hint of problems with the .40 Gen 4's.

Glock has never made a good .40. I just today heard a reliable report about a large agency that is having nothing but problems with their gen 4 .40's. Every agency/unit that issues .40's in quantity has had problems, the gen 4 seem to be no different.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Glock has never made a good .40. I just today heard a reliable report about a large agency that is having nothing but problems with their gen 4 .40's. Every agency/unit that issues .40's in quantity has had problems, the gen 4 seem to be no different.
    That makes for some pretty serious egg on Glock's face if so.

I have a gen 4 22 and two gen 4 23`s with over 7000 rounds through them in total (approximately equal amounts through each,) with perfect function. The 22 is an early model that came with the original unmarked spring and the slide without the counterbore. I had no problems with that configuration, but upgraded to the 0-1-1 spring after it was available, with 300 rounds with the new spring. No problems noted. I had sold all of my gen 3 .40`s after feeding issues (usually nosedive FTF with the rounds nosediving within the magazines,) and decided to give the gen 4`s a try when they came out. I can recall more issues (although rare,) with my gen 3 9mm`s than I have had so far with the gen 4 40`s.

The gen 4 G22's appear to be better than the abysmal 3rd gen G22's, although that is not saying much. Early last year, several very large LE agencies had severe problems during testing of 4th gen G22's; by later in the fall, revised versions of the 4th gen G22's arrived that were running much better. While continuing to improve, in aggregate the 4th gen G22's still do not appear to be as trouble free as 2nd and 3rd gen G17's...

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    The gen 4 G22's appear to be better than the abysmal 3rd gen G22's, although that is not saying much. Early last year, several very large LE agencies had severe problems during testing of 4th gen G22's; by later in the fall, revised versions of the 4th gen G22's arrived that were running much better. While continuing to improve, in aggregate the 4th gen G22's still do not appear to be as trouble free as 2nd and 3rd gen G17's...
    What type of problems did they have with them? I had heard of some broken strikers using certain types of ammo. I have also heard of issues with the original unmarked spring coming apart with time in some guns; is that what was experienced by the agencies that you mentioned? It sounds like they did well in the BATF trials.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I knew as soon as I made my previous statement somebody would come along with horror stories.

I'd certainly be interested in hearing more about the Gen 4 .40 issues because it's been crickets so far. All the complaining I've heard to this point has centered on the 9mm family.

TC,

Let's talk in May.

RTS,

Todd could probably speak much more intelligently than me about this, but Glock always does well in trials. When they deliver, things don't seem to go as well. I hope (hoped?) the gen 4's would do better, since the only people who suffer when they don't is us. I admit that I don't like glock, but until now, I would have said that a G19/17 was as functional a gun as there is. What a gun could do in the past is pretty meaningless. If you can't buy a great gun, off the shelf today, then there is a problem. BTW, I carried glocks in both 9 and .40 for almost half of my career. I would be willing to do so again, if they can get their act together. The bigger problem is, almost none of the gun companies have their act together these days, and buying a fighting pistol out of the box, is getting tougher and tougher. As an individual, it's not all doom and gloom, but when you have to buy for large groups of people, who trust you to buy a high quality gun, the situation becomes problematic.

Sorry for the rant, but passing your personal guns off as an example of anything, especially when they only have a few thousand rounds through them, gets me frustrated. The last time I saw any issues with glock personally, there were 30 people on the line, shooting several thousand rounds, each, that week. Before that, there were 50 people on the line. I might be able to go so far as to say that I have never not seen a problem with glocks when there are lots of people shooting lots of rounds. That may not matter for you, but it does matter to that group.
    Last edited by SLG; 03-28-2011 at 10:31 AM.

User Tag List