Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Big-Ass Candle Lighting!

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

Another Big-Ass Candle Lighting!

SpaceX's Starship test is supposed to fly at 9:20 EDT.

Since this is their first try, my money would be on a really big *boom*.

ETA: SpaceX's feed seems to have puked. here's another source:

Last edited by Stephanie B; 04-17-2023 at 07:46 AM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Scrubbed for today, apparently. They're going to keep loading propellant for a "wet rehearsal". They're planning to try for tomorrow.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Rats, had today off of work and thought I might be able to actually see something from Up here.

What do they do with those Millions upon millions of gallons of propellants they're putting into it? Can that be recycled or is it got to go bye-bye?

Site Supporter
    Postponed for at least 48 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    What do they do with those Millions upon millions of gallons of propellants they're putting into it? Can that be recycled or is it got to go bye-bye?
    Elon says they are "downloading fuel" but none of the news reports says what they will do with it.
    I think they could return the methane to storage, but cryogenic oxygen is going to have a lot of boil-off moving it around.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Elon says they are "downloading fuel" but none of the news reports says what they will do with it.
    I think they could return the methane to storage, but cryogenic oxygen is going to have a lot of boil-off moving it around.

Yeah, I was thinking that moving all that liquid oxygen around would lead to a lot of loss.

To give it some scale.

We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Site Supporter
    Having had the pleasure of seeing the Saturn V close up and in person at Huntsville Space Museum many times as a child, that image by @5pins really helped me understand just how big this thing is.

It also makes me wonder how different the Space Program would be if we hadn’t wasted all that time on the Shuttle.

One of these days, I'm gonna have enough notice so I can drive down to watch one of these go up. I went down for the last shuttle launch. It got delayed, I hung around for as long as I could but had to come home before they launched it.

Next try is Thursday morning, after 9 AM.

User Tag List