Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: been away from 9mm auto for a long time, but...

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    I think the folks here are just trying to give you suggestions so you will get the best handgun for the buck. Lots of good choices suggested here. If you don't mind me asking, what is the absolute most you will pay for a handgun? This will help us with suggestions that's in your price range.
    On this point… I’ll say that, for $700, you can get a great, no-compromises service pistol. You can pay more, but you really don’t need to. Buy a Beretta 92X RDO or a Glock 19 MOS or a CZ 75D PCR. The benefit of a $1500 pistol is minimal over a $700 pistol—they’re more for perfectionists and enthusiasts. 99.9% of people are better off buying a $700 pistol, 2 cases of ammo, and some training. Personally, I’d just buy nice and be done with it.

When you go to a lower price point, things get more complicated. You can find the Glock 19 for $499 (an older version, without an optics cut). You can find a CZ P10C for $380. You can find a CZ P-07 for $460. A SP2022 can be had for $490. These would all be fine choices.

But at that price point (especially sub-$400), you have to be much more selective. There are a lot of options that may be fine for enthusiasts looking for a range gun, but that you shouldn’t consider as your “one gun.” I wouldn’t advise you to choose a Taurus, a Kel-Tec, an SCCY, a Canik, etc. You want a trusted, known model… You don’t want to play the lottery.
    Last edited by CalAlumnus; 04-17-2023 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CalAlumnus View Post
    ... CZ P-07 for $460.
    I have 4 P-07s. It's my defensive handgun of choice. Mine have the CGW ProGrade kit installed, so that adds $250-300. But, you can accomplish a lot with just the 15# hammer spring, extended firing pin, and FP roll pin (all from CGW).
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    I'll bring up the Beretta APX again. I don't think there is a better value in the pistol market right now.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Another in the middle option that is a striker-fired with a revolver-like trigger is the superb SD9VE. Prices have gone up since its release but if you're patient, you can catch it @ around $250 - 270 when it's on sale.

The SP2022 is another good choice I can vouch for. I used to own one back when they offered a stainless slide with night sights.

So many good choices nowadays, i agree the APX is a great value, but i also gotta give the SD9 it's due for value as well.

In a new gun, I recommend the following:

1. Glock

2. Beretta 92

3. HK VP9, P30, P2000

4. Sig Sigpro 2022 (if still available new)

In a used gun, here are some recommendations:

1. HK USP

2. Ruger P89

3. Sig Sigpro 2022 (if unavailable new)

There certainly are other credible and vetted choices, both new and used potentially available-some have been mentioned/recommended by other p-f members on the discussion here.

All things considered, probably the easiest overall default is to a Glock.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Nothing wrong with wanting DA/SA with a decocker. If you can at all afford it, even a new, base model Beretta 92fs would do anything you need, be durable and reliable, have easily accessible parts, reasonably priced magazines, and a sterling track record. For me, I think the 92 series is the best DA/SA pistol, although IMO the USP and P30 are probably equal, just have more expensive mags/parts and not as easy to work on. Also more expensive than a Beretta.

The cheapest online I've found is here: https://guns.bridgeportequip.com/pro...k-polymer-grip

Disclaimer that I have never ordered from here before, but an initial search showed the place seems to be legit. Perhaps someone else can chime in who's done business with them.

It's been a couple of years since I was in the gun bidness, so I haven't followed the industry like I used to. Having said that, my recommendations to people over the last decade has been -

1. Glock 19 is almost always the right answer. Gen 4 or 5. If there's a 10 round limit - Glock 26.

2. If money is a concern, shop used, or buy a new S&W SD9VE for under $400 from Academy.

3. Buying a defensive pistol based on looks and feels is a bad idea.

4. Buy what the big police departments around you buy.

5. Buying the smallest, sexiest, newest pistol is wrong. Don't be a beta tester. Bigger guns are better, most of the time.

6. Don't buy a pistol to carry based on the "fantasy" you. Be brutally honest with yourself. Are you really going to carry this every day? Are you going to spend the time and money to really become proficient? Are you going to maintain that level?

I love my Beretta 92, but I don't maintain a high enough level of skill with DA/SA guns in order for me to feel comfortable carrying them. I find switching platforms problematic. Striker fired guns like the Glock are easier to reach a decent level of skill, and maintain it, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post

The cheapest online I've found is here: https://guns.bridgeportequip.com/pro...k-polymer-grip

Disclaimer that I have never ordered from here before, but an initial search showed the place seems to be legit. Perhaps someone else can chime in who's done business with them.
    That's semi local to me. I've browsed there a few times but never bought there yet. I know some who have dealt with them and I believe it's a good place to buy. One time I asked them to let me know if they got a specific gun in stock and they called me when they did. I had already found what I wanted someplace else or I would have bought it from them.

@tmanwell can you be specific on what puts a Glock or other striker fired examples out of the running? Sorry if you’ve stated this. I can’t read the entire thread.

The following is in general about pistol recommendations. Not necessarily to the OP:

I try not to be so dogmatic about gear recommendations. But IMO, telling someone to go to a shop and rent a bunch of guns often leads to a poor decision based on grip feel and trigger feel. Something that feels right to a newer gun owner may not be correct since they aren’t informed on what is actually optimal. And getting used to another pistol may inform them of what is important over initial feel. I just don’t want to wast time beating around the bush.

So I still recommend a few pistols that SHOULD work for MOST people. And this is from a self defense POV. That’s my focus/expertise. And they’re all reasonably priced and as reliable as it gets.

1. Glock 19 - I believe is the right choice for a large portion of people. Most adult men and even some women, the grip and trigger placement work great.
    - If you have smaller hands - Glock 48

2. M&P 2.0 4.25 barrel

3. If someone really requires a DASA I’d suggest looking into the CZ P-07 or P-09. I say look into because I have no experience with them.

4. One if the SIG P365 models.

There are other great pistols out there. But these are the one’s I usually recommend.

Red Dot Sight - I’d also suggest to anyone plan on getting a red dot. In almost every way they are superior to irons and the future so why not plan on it.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec
    Evolution Security Podcast

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post

6. Don't buy a pistol to carry based on the "fantasy" you. Be brutally honest with yourself. Are you really going to carry this every day? Are you going to spend the time and money to really become proficient? Are you going to maintain that level?

I love my Beretta 92, but I don't maintain a high enough level of skill with DA/SA guns in order for me to feel comfortable carrying them. I find switching platforms problematic. Striker fired guns like the Glock are easier to reach a decent level of skill, and maintain it, in my opinion.
    This was the hardest part of my evolution as a shooter. I stuck to the PX4 and 92 series for most of my shooting life, and why not? They're very reliable, pretty, high quality, etc. I still love them the most out of all my guns.

But once I got a few Glocks and M&Ps, it was impossible to ignore that I am a very busy guy with two jobs working 60+ hours a week. I do not hit the range nearly as often as I used to be able to, and when I do, striker trigger skills degrade much more gradually than DA/SA skills. If I let a few months go by, it was like my first time with the 92. By contrast, I can go a long time without shooting my Gen 5 Glocks or 2.0 M&Ps and within a round or two I'm shooting well.

They aren't as sexy, they don't have as much character, but it's not random that 90% of the global military/LE market went striker.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List