Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ruger Lightweight 5” 1911

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I think the Kimber light weight government models are cheaper than their steel counterparts.
    Indeed they are. And they don't have the dratted firing pin safety.

Will we see this in a 9mm, I wonder?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    I do wish that I felt comfortable carrying a “Series 70” style 1911. This looks like a neat option. The forthcoming range reports from those of you who buy it will be a lot of fun to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    So, my favorite friendly local gun shop gets new guns in on Tuesdays, after being closed Sun and Mon. Today being Tuesday… well, hell, y’all already know how this post is going to go. I’ll let you know how it shoots when I get through my state’s unpredictable background check wait time.

I can say the fit and finish was much better than the price would suggest; the safety snicks on and off in pleasing fashion, etc. And, yes, great weight and balance in the hand. Sometimes you just have to sit down, shut up, and take “yes” for an answer.
    Ooooh, jelly. Mine will be a few weeks, I think - Dack is cheap but is a slow shipper.

I’m trying to decide what are must-dos. I think sights for sure, and grips (I love VZ double diamonds) but beyond that…?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I do wish that I felt comfortable carrying a “Series 70” style 1911. This looks like a neat option. The forthcoming range reports from those of you who buy it will be a lot of fun to follow.
    Even with a lightweight firing pin?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Ooooh, jelly. Mine will be a few weeks, I think - Dack is cheap but is a slow shipper.

I’m trying to decide what are must-dos. I think sights for sure, and grips (I love VZ double diamonds) but beyond that…?
    I’m going to shoot it as-is, and see what issues come up from there. I’m skeptical of the price point, but I definitely trust both Ruger and Davidsons to back up their products. We shall see.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    I am comfortable carrying one as long as the thumb safety is well protected from being unintentionally deactivated. With a left side only safety and a gun carried IWB or strong side hip on the right side, a sweat shield can often accomplish this well. With an ambi safety, I prefer a holster which is specifically designed to hold the thumb safety in the on safe position.

If I recall correctly, JM Custom Kydex may be able to make such a holster.

It also appears that a beavertail grip safety can protect a cocked hammer from direct impact from almost all directions. While grip safeties are not popular with everyone, they do add to my comfort in carrying a 1911. Not only can it potentially protect the hammer, but it also ensures that the trigger cannot be depressed if the grip safety is not activated.

I have unintentionally deactivated a thumb safety twice while carrying a 1911. Once was while in a fanny pack, with an internal holster and a thumb break strap passing between the hammer and firing pin. The other was IWB with an ambi safety and a holster without a specific feature to hold the safety on safe.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Even with a lightweight firing pin?

I don’t want to hijack what’s likely to be a great thread. I’m just emoting what are probably over the top requirements.

There was testing done, and if I remember right, lightweight firing pins helped, but did not eliminate the drop safety issue. My concern is not so much for my safety, but the safety of others. However, it is very reasonable to not worry about it and carry on.

If Ruger used a Colt style “80 series”, then this would be a must have.

Can’t wait for the range reports.

Site Supporter
    I don’t want to hijack what’s likely to be a great thread. I’m just emoting what are probably over the top requirements.

There was testing done, and if I remember right, lightweight firing pins helped, but did not eliminate the drop safety issue. My concern is not so much for my safety, but the safety of others. However, it is very reasonable to not worry about it and carry on.

If Ruger used a Colt style “80 series”, then this would be a must have.

Can’t wait for the range reports.
    I am interested in any testing you may have seen.

My understanding is that the standard steel firing pin and standard spring is safe as long as one is careful to change the spring when it should be changed (whenever the recoil spring is changed would likely be more than sufficient). However, not everyone pays attention to those springs. The titanium firing pin and extra power spring not only increases the force required to discharge the gun, but also increases the level of safety in the event of neglect (the spring should still be changed before it can become weakened, and I would also do so when the recoil spring is changed).

Other guns that use a rearward-biasing firing pin spring without a firing pin safety include Kel-Tec P32 and P3AT, as well as the North American Arms Guardians.

I agree that all other things being equal a firing pin block is preferred.

FWIW, 2nd best price on line I have seen (so far). I have dealt with these guys a number of times. Satisfactory service

https://gunprime.com/products/ruger-...-5-barrel-6792

I only drop this because I have had Dack take 4 and then another time 6 weeks once to fill my order for stuff.
    Last edited by fatdog; 04-12-2023 at 04:07 PM.

User Tag List