Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ruger Lightweight 5” 1911

I was wondering about the price difference too. Can’t be just the grips. That said, I am very interested in this new offering, because, reasons.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I don’t get that, either. There was some discussion on one of the Ruger forums wondering the same. The specs are very similar; I only have a Ruger LW 9mm Officers to compare it against.
    Probably some changes to sourcing and machining practices. I assume the LW models will all change to this more attractive price.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

The SA LW Operator I bought from Kevin B is my favorite of my .45s and I've also a CQB Elite. I love the weight, balance and handling.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    They have for quite some time, but the pricing is substantially higher:

https://ruger.com/products/sr1911Com...eets/6711.html
    I've been looking for a 9mm Commander, specifically the DW Vigil Commander. That one is discontinued, unfortunately. I could settle for an SA Ronin 4.25, if I could find one in stock. But, that's Ruger price is in DW territory, too much for the flaming chicken brand.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I've been looking for a 9mm Commander, specifically the DW Vigil Commander. That one is discontinued, unfortunately. I could settle for an SA Ronin 4.25, if I could find one in stock. But, that's Ruger price is in DW territory, too much for the flaming chicken brand.
    I already have two LW Commander class pistols (DW ECPs in .45 and 9mm) so that’s covered - but a lightweight 5” has always been something I wanted.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    The SA LW Operator I bought from Kevin B is my favorite of my .45s and I've also a CQB Elite. I love the weight, balance and handling.
    Too late to Edit so, to be faaaiiir, he had this gun touched up by SACS years ago with tool steel internals. Then I had Derr Precision do a couple things with EGW parts to make it my own. It's not stock but none of that has to do with weight and balance.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Cool to see something come in to fill the gap left by the DW Vigil. If I was primarily carrying .45s I’d be very interested in getting a lightweight government. I carry in 5” holsters regardless so a commander isn’t an advantage for me in .45 where the 5” length has a better recoil impulse and is more likely to be reliable. I’m perfectly happy with a steel 9mm 4” gun, but in government length I could use some weight reduction.

I love my DW 5" Vigil, my old Colt XSE alloy 5", might have to get one of these to have the trifecta of alloy frame 5" 1911's.

I too am baffled by why the price is lower than the Commander version.

Site Supporter
    I think the Kimber light weight government models are cheaper than their steel counterparts.

Wonder if they use the same frame?

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

So, my favorite friendly local gun shop gets new guns in on Tuesdays, after being closed Sun and Mon. Today being Tuesday… well, hell, y’all already know how this post is going to go. I’ll let you know how it shoots when I get through my state’s unpredictable background check wait time.

I can say the fit and finish was much better than the price would suggest; the safety snicks on and off in pleasing fashion, etc. And, yes, great weight and balance in the hand. Sometimes you just have to sit down, shut up, and take “yes” for an answer.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List