Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger Lightweight 5” 1911

Quote Originally Posted by spiro View Post
    I'm looking to get a goverement in .45
    How do these compare to Springfields?
    Having owned a half-dozen entry-ish Springers, as well as this particular lightweight Gov’t by Ruger, I’d say that Springfield has the edge in fit, finish, and aftermarket part support.

The awesome thing about this Ruger is the lightweight spec in a full-size Gov’t gun, and the fact that it seems to be stone reliable for an insane price. I’m quite happy with mine.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I don't own a lightweight 45 but I do have an aluminum commander and officer. Both have been reliable and are fun to shoot. The officer carries well. I often wonder why I don't carry it regularly.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    The frame is aluminum, if that makes a difference.
    As far as I'm aware it still allows for checkering, both from the factory on models from other makers and on custom builds (at least with other base guns - plenty of custom Colt Lightweight Commanders out there with checkering or stippling).

I would maybe be extra careful about picking my gunsmith, but any of the established guys could presumably do it.

In fact I'd love to do that with exactly this pistol someday. Its price makes it an excellent base gun for some custom work, especially since there aren't many other lightweight government models out there (only the discontinued DW Vigil and some pretty rare Colts and Springfields come to mind, and they all cost a good deal more if you can find them). I have no interest in a commander length .45 but I would absolutely carry a lightweight government spec'd to match my other guns.

A $500 base gun to me begs for being sent off for checkering, round butt or bobtail treatment, parts replacements to fit user preference, sighting system of choice, anything the gunsmith thinks is a good idea, and then refinish (I vote some variety of two-tone) and throw in a holster.

Ruger snuck a 9mm version of this into the lineup. I really like my .45…

https://ruger.com/products/sr1911Sta...eets/6794.html
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

… and silly me forgot that Ruger 1911s are Series 70, so they can be milled for a RDS. Hmmm…
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    … and silly me forgot that Ruger 1911s are Series 70, so they can be milled for a RDS. Hmmm…
    I’ve been contemplating that. You should check it out for me and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    To be fair, Series 80 guns can to. They just become Series 70 in the process.

No self control.

Name:  IMG_0353.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  97.7 KB

As much as I can appreciate high end 1911s, I’m most comfortable with everyday production quality pistols. I know the arugers don’t have much cache, but they work for me. If I were running them hard, I might start seeing the differences.

I swapped out the MSH and added mag pads, and will be doing no other changes until I shoot it in.
    Ken

I picked up a .45, as I’ve been wanting a LW 5” for some time. It was a few features I like, but I was immediately disappointed by how loose it is. It’s the loosest 1911 I’ve had yet, at least before firing it a lot. I should have expected it based on the price but there are some well-fitted inexpensive 1911s out there.

I bought it online, so couldn’t handle it first. I still haven’t fired it, as I’m thinking of sending it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Norther View Post
    I’m thinking of sending it on.
    Contact Ruger. See if they will do anything for you.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

User Tag List