Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger Lightweight 5” 1911

Quote Originally Posted by Norther View Post
    I picked up a .45, as I’ve been wanting a LW 5” for some time. It was a few features I like, but I was immediately disappointed by how loose it is. It’s the loosest 1911 I’ve had yet, at least before firing it a lot. I should have expected it based on the price but there are some well-fitted inexpensive 1911s out there.

I bought it online, so couldn’t handle it first. I still haven’t fired it, as I’m thinking of sending it on.
    Both of mine are acceptably tight. Contact Ruger!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    I picked up a .45, as I’ve been wanting a LW 5” for some time. It was a few features I like, but I was immediately disappointed by how loose it is. It’s the loosest 1911 I’ve had yet, at least before firing it a lot. I should have expected it based on the price but there are some well-fitted inexpensive 1911s out there.

I bought it online, so couldn’t handle it first. I still haven’t fired it, as I’m thinking of sending it on.
    I assume you mean the slide to frame fit. This doesn't really affect accuracy, but it does affect the overall feel of quality when shooting and handling the gun.

Ruger might be willing to address the problem if it is ridiculously loose, but more likely they will say it falls within acceptable parameters with regard to function. Contact Ruger and see what they say.

I bought it online, so couldnÂ’t handle it first. I still havenÂ’t fired it, as IÂ’m thinking of sending it on.
    Shoot it first. Slide to frame fit contributes no more than three percent to the guns accuracy potential. You may be surprised.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

There’s play in the barrel to slide fit as well, both at the bushing and hood. I don’t think it’s so excessive that Ruger would do anything, it’s just disappointing. My expectations are probably too high.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    No self control.

Attachment 117573

As much as I can appreciate high end 1911s, I’m most comfortable with everyday production quality pistols. I know the arugers don’t have much cache, but they work for me. If I were running them hard, I might start seeing the differences.

I swapped out the MSH and added mag pads, and will be doing no other changes until I shoot it in.
    I’m broke, and I’m moving this summer, or my self-control would be about the same. Here’s hoping I can get one after I start getting paid at the new gig.

Dack Outdoors has the LW 9mm on sale today for $551 and no tax.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Here's a link for anyone interested: https://dackoutdoors.com/product/sr1911-9mm-ss-5-91

The 9mm shoots great! A powderpuff.
    Ken

Do their alumni frames have the plunger tube housing as part of the frame.

That backwards 2 town is a killer for me but hopefully they'll fix that eventually.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Good to hear.
    Back when I decided I wanted a lightweight 5" 9mm, nobody made one. A SA Lightweight .45, a Loaded 9mm, and a trip to FLG left me with a lightweight 9mm and a steel .45 which I sold off to a guy who didn't care that it was a Mixmaster.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List