Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 329PD as a .44 special launcher

S&W 329PD as a .44 special launcher

I know that the 329PD is a totally obnoxious uncontrollable animal that should never have been created, etc. etc. when shooting full power .44 magnum loads.

My question for those who own or have owned them. How obnoxious is it as a .44 Special launcher?

I once owned the 296 in .44 special and it was controllable and not really that bad so I figure this one must not be much different, but curious to hear the opinions of those who have actually owned the thing and shot .44 specials in it.

I have a chance to pick one up from a friend at a really good price but I would not shoot any .44 magnum ammo, except perhaps 44 magnum cases that I have personally loaded down to .44 special power levels, e.g. 200gr at 800-900 fps.

Owned a 329PD, I think I put maybe 1 box of .44 specials through it. I didn't own the monstrosity for that long. Biggest problem I had was the projectile breaking free of the case crimp, though it never jammed the cylinder.

44 specials weren't bad in it, it was a nice break from the magnums. Personally I wouldn't bother with a 329PD unless it's strictly a back country trail gun.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I know that the 329PD is a totally obnoxious uncontrollable animal that should never have been created, etc. etc. when shooting full power .44 magnum loads.

My question for those who own or have owned them. How obnoxious is it as a .44 Special launcher?

I once owned the 296 in .44 special and it was controllable and not really that bad so I figure this one must not be much different, but curious to hear the opinions of those who have actually owned the thing and shot .44 specials in it.

I have a chance to pick one up from a friend at a really good price but I would not shoot any .44 magnum ammo, except perhaps 44 magnum cases that I have personally loaded down to .44 special power levels, e.g. 200gr at 800-900 fps.
    I have a 396 in .44 Special. It is 8 ounces lighter than the 329. My hands are full of arthritis but I can still handle mid range Special loads. I think you'll find it quite shootable with the load you mentioned. I always wanted a 329, so my advice is to buy it. 😁

BUY IT

Here's a low recoil option

Name:  CC_3718CC_44Spl44MagBig4ShotshellPestControl_Rm.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  55.3 KB

CCI's "Big 4" Handgun Shot Loads - a review. | Bushcraft USA Forums
    http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/thread...review.290691/

I own a 329 PD. I have run about 40 rounds of PMC Bronze JHP (180 Grain). It wasn't bad at all. It didn't seem any worse than .357 magnum SD rounds out of a 4 inch steel gun. Note that is with the Sorthobane or whatever the cushy grips are called now, installed on the 329.

I have not intensively tested it, by any stretch (small sample size). But, gun went bang and didnt lock up. No issues with ejection of spent cases with one clean hit of the rod. I didn't have a particular issue with the recoil. I didn't one hand it, but I would have felt comfortable practicing one handed.

I have a half dozen 329 revolvers. One is set up as a dedicated, 44 special launcher, and it required a shorter front sight to properly regulate. It is reasonably comfortable to shoot most 44 special loads as long as you're using the rubber, Hogue grips and not the wood ones they also put in the box.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Can anyone educate me on the relative difference between 45 ACP out of a 625 versus 44 special out of a 329?

Similar? Any reason to pick one over another?

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Can anyone educate me on the relative difference between 45 ACP out of a 625 versus 44 special out of a 329?

Similar? Any reason to pick one over another?
    I also have a 4 inch Scandium, in .45 .acp, but I would take the .44 all day every day. Lot more capability in the loading possibilities and no moon clips.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I'm pretty sure it was Taffin who said the 329PD was the perfect .44 Special.
    Some people hate them but some people don't, mine has been my every day gun for several years now and it's very easy to live with, I enjoy shooting it. I've only shot a very few .44 Specials thru it.
    Recoil is subjective.
    I know ladies who since teenagers hunted with big boomers (the Casull and the .475's) happily.
    Also, you can read on the web of men who find .40 S&W recoil bothersome so the scale swings large.
    But I'm pretty sure, based on your previous light revolver experience that you won't be bothered about .44 Specials thru a Airlite 44.

ETA: I had to look it up, but the M296 seems to weigh just over 19 Oz, the 329PD is right around 26 Oz so it looks like you're good to go for sure.
    Last edited by JTMcC; 03-31-2023 at 11:52 AM.

If you can get it for 6-7 hundred bucks I say go for it .

User Tag List