Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 9mm reloading economics in 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post
    Maybe just a small lie I tell myself, but it works for me and how my mind processes spending money.
    I have been lying to myself since 1973. The lie I tell me is that I am saving money while I am blasting away making noise

In my case I have been doing it so long I might tell myself I do not have a problem and could quit anytime I wanted to, but I just keep buying reloading equipment. I figured I was all set when I got the RL1100, but I just bought a second toolhead (that cost as much as some reloading presses...), I guess it is cheap compared to stuff like flying and racing.

A couple of days ago, I realized I was running low on bullets. This caused me to do a breakdown analysis of my costs. Let's just say that one more price increase will erase any cost savings.at all. Other than some niche rounds I shoot once in a blue moon, the reloading juice is quickly becoming unworthy of the squeeze. I was contemplating purchasing a new stand for my press. That's now on the back burner. 35 years of reloading may be coming to an end.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    I suggest taking advantage of good ammo deals and maintaining supplies to reload 9mm. That is, do both. The other centerfire handgun ammo is expensive. Reload those.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    A couple of days ago, I realized I was running low on bullets. This caused me to do a breakdown analysis of my costs. Let's just say that one more price increase will erase any cost savings.at all. Other than some niche rounds I shoot once in a blue moon, the reloading juice is quickly becoming unworthy of the squeeze. I was contemplating purchasing a new stand for my press. That's now on the back burner. 35 years of reloading may be coming to an end.
    I can understand the logic if all you reload is 9mm or 5.56 The juice is worth the squeeze with revolver and rifle ammo except for maybe 5.56.

If I didn't reload I wouldn't have been able to shoot every few weeks for the past two years. I guess everyone's finances are different but if you're retired you save a buck where you can. Especially with things like food digging into the budget. I'm reloading with early 2019 prices because that's about the time I topped off my powder and primer stock. I bought 20 pounds of powder in 2019 and IDK how many primers. It was a bunch.

It still doesn't make any financial sense for me to buy ammo. Even 9mm or 5.56. If you didn't buy low I can see the math not working in your favor. It's a lot like the stock market.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-29-2023 at 09:22 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I can understand the logic if all you reload is 9mm or 5.56 The juice is worth the squeeze with revolver and rifle ammo except for maybe 5.56.

If I didn't reload I wouldn't have been able to shoot every few weeks for the past two years. I guess everyone's finances are different but if you're retired you save a buck where you can. Especially with things like food digging into the budget. I'm reloading with early 2019 prices because that's about the time I topped off my powder and primer stock. I bought 20 pounds of powder in 2019 and IDK how many primers. It was a bunch.

It still doesn't make any financial sense for me to buy ammo. Even 9mm or 5.56. If you didn't buy low I can see the math not working in your favor. It's a lot like the stock market.
    I laid in a large stock of everything pre-corona uprising and I'm still working through the primers and powder. My bullet suppliers have been good to go for a couple of years. With things like .45 Colt, .44 Magnum, 30-06 etc., the advantage is still there. But, with common service handgun calibers it's quickly reaching the point of diminishing returns for me. It doesn't help that I've always considered reloading a chore.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

NY cost

Im in NY and can reload for under $15/ 50 rnd. I cant find seeds less then $19.99 on shelves thats not including taxes. Even if I purchase bulk we need to ship to seeds to an FFL which usually charge 20% FFL fee and they take down your address and such. So after haz mat, shipping FFl fee still cant touch 15$. Plus Im going to test out some of them blu boolits. as that would drive the price down to around $10 for 50 seeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Bullets: $0.07
    Primers: $0.085
    Powder: $0.015
    Range brass: $0.00
    $0.017 / round
    you mean $0.17 / round right?
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    you mean $0.17 / round right?
    Yes, dammit. I wish it was what I mistyped.

(This is more evidence that people with math degrees can't do basic math).
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Yes, dammit. I wish it was what I mistyped.

(This is more evidence that people with math degrees can't do basic math).
    Pretty sure your math skills are just fine lol
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Loading 9mm and 223 cost effectiveness

I am licensed and insured ammuition manufacture. I can load 4,000 rounds per hour with new or very good reprocessed brass. I load in excess of a 3 million rounds per year.

Even buying the components wholesale and including your time, expenses and machine cost it is very difficult to compete with large ammunition manufactures discount prices. The only thing you can do is use better components and tweek your loads for your application.

I only load 9mm or 223 for custom load applications as general ammo in these two cartridges is not cost wise to load.

I custom load rifle ammunition for both prescision target shooting and hunting ammunition. There is so much prep in this ammo that it is more expensive than factory ammo. I load thousands of 6mm BR, 6mm BRX, 6mm Dasher, 243 Win, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 PRS, 264 Win Mag, 270 Win, 280 AI, 284 Win, 7mm 08, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 WSM, 300 Win Mag, and others.

User Tag List