Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TulAmmo v. M&P9

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN

TulAmmo v. M&P9

The total malfunction count in my M&P9 went from 1 to 10 in the space of one magazine last weekend.

On the way to the Sooper Seekrit Range Location, I asked my hosts to swing by Wally World so I could grab some nine and .22, in order that I not be a complete mooch all weekend. The Wal-Mart in Española, NM was well stocked with deuce-deuce, but I bought the last fifty-rounder of 9mm Remington FMJ they had in the store, and supplemented it with a lone box of TulAmmo.

Ugh.

I don't know what they use on those steel cases, but it caused enough stiction against the other cartridges and the walls of the mag tube itself that the column of rounds would bind in the magazine, allowing the top rounds to rattle loosely.

At first, I was ready to blame the magazine, and borrowed a silver Sharpie to draw the Frownie Face of Disappointment on the baseplate, when, Lo! I ran out of TulAmmo and went back to shooting borrowed Winchester and Federal and the problem went away!

Every time I violate my rule of only using decadent Western Capitalist ammunition in decadent Western Capitalist guns, I get reminded why I do it that way in the first place.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I feel your pain.

I have an BCM/DD AR that has had maybe 5 malfunctions using Federal, Aguila, and even Wolf ammo. In a pinch I bought a box of Tulla ammo last year... hard as I would try, I could not get two consecutive rounds to go through the firing cycle.

While I'm no scientist, I'm pretty sure that the cases are coated in 80 grit sandpaper. Which tends to impede normal feeding and extraction behavior.
    I train to be better than I was yesterday. -F2S

Quote Originally Posted by jstyer View Post

While I'm no scientist, I'm pretty sure that the cases are coated in 80 grit sandpaper. Which tends to impede normal feeding and extraction behavior.
    But those rounds that do feed polish your feed ramp and clean your chamber on their way in. Russian ingenuity in its best.

While hardly my first choices, I've had zero problems with TulAmmo in 9mm or .45 ACP, and I've used it in Glocks (G17, G19, G21) and 1911s (SIG GSR). I've also had no problems with Wolf ammunition in 9mm in Glocks. The stuff works, seems to do fine accuracy-wise (at least as well, if not better than the Winchester Value Pack stuff), but usually I prefer Federal Champion, PMC Bronze, American Eagle or CCI Blazer (aluminum or brass cased).

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    While hardly my first choices, I've had zero problems with TulAmmo in 9mm or .45 ACP, and I've used it in Glocks (G17, G19, G21) and 1911s (SIG GSR). I've also had no problems with Wolf ammunition in 9mm in Glocks.
    I've never really had a problem with Wolf in pistols, but you're welcome to all the TulAmmo in 9 and .45 that I'll never be buying from now on.

My understanding is that Tula makes ammo, but Wolf doesn't. A lot of Wolf ammo is made by Tula.

At any rate, I just burned 500 rounds of "Wolf" at a carbine class that looked exactly like the Tula I also shot up, along with the Herters from Cabelas that is also Tula renamed.

Dirty as hell but no issues until I let the carbine get dry (a Colt 6920).

I've also shot a few hundred rounds of all of the above through my G17 without any problems.

I do tend to save Russian/commie ammo for Russian/commie guns, and try to avoid shooting ammo from places that I wouldn't drink their water.
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 10-13-2012 at 12:20 PM.

Site Supporter
    My experience is similar with a PX4. These have glossy mags and the steel cases bound up like crazy. I didn't get any stoppages but I think I was lucky more than anything.

However I've run about 100-150 rounds through a gen 3 g19 and it behaved well in the magazines... however there were a few concrete like primers.

Basically this ammo is good for practicing clearing malfunctions.

I may never be rich, but I'm glad to be at a point in my life where I can afford decent ammo. It boggles my mind that people will spend big bucks on a fine firearm and then try and feed it shitty ammo. It's like buying a high performance car & trying to run it on cheap gas. I typically buy Fiocci 9mm by the case. It's not the cheapest but it's not the most expensive. I can't even remember the last time I had an ammo related stoppage or malfunction.

Quote Originally Posted by roadsiderob View Post
    I may never be rich, but I'm glad to be at a point in my life where I can afford decent ammo.
    Someday I hope to reach that point. :|

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I got half a case of TulAmmo sometime last year that I just finished. It induced consistent failures to return to battery in my G19 and G17. The steel cases seemed to be so thickly coated in whatever lacquer they use to proof them against corrosion that they would hang up on the very last few millimeters of slide travel. Coupled with the fact they they were all hilariously underpowered and I would have to give the back of the slide a good thwack with the ridge of my hand to seat the cartridge fully. As someone mentioned above, too, I had several hard primer strikes that failed to detonate.

Never had any trouble with Wolf or Brown Bear, however. Wolf does not make ammo and is in fact an importer but I do not know from whom they get their ammo. Brown bear is sourced from the Barnaul plant in Russia.

User Tag List