Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cylinder and Slide Closing Up Shop

Cylinder and Slide Closing Up Shop

Just announced on FB:
    Cylinder and Slide would like to announce that after 44+ years of business, we are ceasing operations. We would like to thank our countless customers and fellow industry partners for all their support and assistance throughout all these years.
    We do have quite a bit of inventory, fixtures, equipment, factory parts, etc that we would like to move. If you have any potential interest, we are accepting email inquiries only; info@cylinder-slide.com. There is too much list at the moment, but we are generating lists of what we have.
    Please congratulate Bill on being able to finally retire!
    While I'm glad Bill is finally getting to retire, it's also a shame because it's just part of the on-going brain drain in the industry. Sure, some of the gunsmiths that work there will get other jobs at other places, but some of that knowledge is simply going to disappear into the ether the day they shut down. And that shit's a shame

Well, Merry God damned Christmas and fuck the new year.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

It's a shame someone isn't buying it and keeping it running. They will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichiban View Post
    It's a shame someone isn't buying it and keeping it running. They will be missed.
    Problem is you have to find the right buyer. Someone who will continue to provide the quality products.

Nowadays it seems most people or companies that purchase a well respected company, just bank on that company's name/reputation, start cutting costs by reducing quality, then eventually run it into the ground. But hey, they made their profits while they could.

I suspect the business model was no longer sustainable where a new buyer would want to take on the debt and overhead.

Twenty years ago, places like C&S were the only place where you can get an enhanced 1911 or revolver. The factory wasn't doing it or doing it well. Now these days you can get very good models with almost all the bells and whistles from SA, DW and Staccato. Robar closed shop because nobody was opting for NP3 anymore when you could have other cheaper coatings. I predict Vang Comp will close shop because the 870 is becoming obsolete and FliteControl is making backboring unnecessary. Even Springfield and Colt pretty much shut down their own custom shops because their production guns were cannibalizing their custom work. I'm starting to get into long range precision rifles. I can see outfits like GA Precision going under given some of the factory stuff with all of their modularity getting put out.

It is sad that this level of master craftsmanship is getting smaller in number and invariably will get more expensive.

From Jim Shepard this morning on his "Shooting Wire" daily newsletter:

"When Bill Laughridge, founder and owner of the C&S Shop announced he was retiring, everyone assumed that meant he was closing the shutters on the shop. It seems many were a bit to hasty thinking so. Bill is indeed retiring, but has two investors who will continue to run the C&S shop, and plan on keeping it open in its present location in Fremont, Nebraska.

“The new owners are excited to keep the flag flying,” Bill said. “They are gun-people and understand what we do, how we do it and what our customers expect. The parts side of the house will remain strong and continue to grow, and I’ll remain to work with them while we make a smooth transition. The new team is also looking forward to hiring more senior staff gunsmiths and to continue to grow the business.”"

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post

"When Bill Laughridge, founder and owner of the C&S Shop announced he was retiring, everyone assumed that meant he was closing the shutters on the shop. It seems many were a bit to hasty thinking so. Bill is indeed retiring, but has two investors who will continue to run the C&S shop, and plan on keeping it open in its present location in Fremont, Nebraska.

“The new owners are excited to keep the flag flying,” Bill said. “They are gun-people and understand what we do, how we do it and what our customers expect. The parts side of the house will remain strong and continue to grow, and I’ll remain to work with them while we make a smooth transition. The new team is also looking forward to hiring more senior staff gunsmiths and to continue to grow the business.”"
    Thanks for the update. This is excellent news.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post

Great news, but not really “a bit too hasty” - C&S themselves said they were ceasing operations in their announcement.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

It will now be a good day, regardless of what else happens.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    some of that knowledge is simply going to disappear into the ether the day they shut down. And that shit's a shame
    While I'm glad C&S isn't closing, I do worry about disappearing knowledge. Pass on whatever you know to someone. Not all GenZ are idiots. Some are eager to learn, and if we don't teach them, eventually no one will.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List